E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Oct 20, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #197 of 1,482
got it to finally work with the instructions thanks
I really don't like providing access to those options for any of my apps during the install process which is why it didn't work. Plus I usually don't have location services on unless I need it as it chews battery life. But once I re-installed HPToy with all those options the device showed up and I was able to enable the P1 Harmon filter and wow. Listenning to via audirvana on my PC on a DSD/DSF recording of "On a Clear Day" by Emilie Claire Barlow and some discovery albums on Qobuz I finally was able to see the TIN P1 shine. I think with this kind of power it outshines the Tape which has some challenges in the high end. Although on low power DAPs the Tape is a better option like the BLON 03. Two amazing little devices to carry around. Anyone do a comparison the 9038 to the Cobalt/Red/Black yet? Although based on how those work you could say the PDV2 is also a competitor just a little larger

Thanks for the help really appreciate it

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #198 of 1,482
got it to finally work with the instructions thanks
I really don't like providing access to those options for any of my apps during the install process which is why it didn't work. Plus I usually don't have location services on unless I need it as it chews battery life. But once I re-installed HPToy with all those options the device showed up and I was able to enable the P1 Harmon filter and wow. Listenning to via audirvana on my PC on a DSD/DSF recording of "On a Clear Day" by Emilie Claire Barlow and some discovery albums on Qobuz I finally was able to see the TIN P1 shine. I think with this kind of power it outshines the Tape which has some challenges in the high end. Although on low power DAPs the Tape is a better option like the BLON 03. Two amazing little devices to carry around. Anyone do a comparison the 9038 to the Cobalt/Red/Black yet? Although based on how those work you could say the PDV2 is also a competitor just a little larger

Thanks for the help really appreciate it

Glad to help. Welcome to the club (cult). Enjoy!!

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #199 of 1,482
Any 9038S users pairing with Tape "Estat" IEM on mode 4...getting reasonable volume dial or is it OTT power
for them even on mode 4 ?
EDIT : I see recent Tape comment regarding hot top-end I think...

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #202 of 1,482
User @Ikety shared a possible workaround to gain 9038S volume control in Macs using Soundflower, tweak at your own risk:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/macintoshhowto.com/audio/how-to-adjust-the-volume-of-a-usb-audio-device-in-osx.html?amp

Been running this set up for years, there is no risk. You can use system settings/audio midi setup to adjust the output level - but the best way to use soundflower is with something like hosting au: http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html

This way you can fine tune the output, as well as use all the audio plugins (gEW/pEQ) and any other plugins you may have downloaded. This is really the best way to EQ sound on a Mac, especially if you stream music from spotify/tidal/qobuz etc and aren't using a music player with good built-in EQ.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #203 of 1,482
why wider selections? because it is more common to have an 3.5mm imput like the Atom?

but if I can connect the PDv2 to the Runabout I will stuk with that for a long time, and also use the PDv2 as portable solution with all those features

Hard for me to believe you are going to get much more out of the runabout than straight out of the PDV2... Or is it just to be able to use headphones with an unbalanced cable? I've experimented with the pdv2 as just a dac, outputting in balanced to the ifi XCAN, and it was just okay, certainly not any noticeable improvement over the pdv2 on its own - even with the extra power. BUT! The 9038s > XCAN worked really, really well.

If you're looking at E1DA for just the DAC ability, I would go with a 9038s/d instead of the pdv2.

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #204 of 1,482
I would go for both of course! thats a no brainer.. 9038 is the strongest and cleanest mobile solution and pdv2 is a chamelion at home that can sound like you want.
i could not think how i could just choose between one because they both got ther perfect job.. and 9038d will come and many people with their unbalanced stuff can finally use this insane dacs..

really anything else is overpriced and less performing "stuff".. really i would be super drunken to get me a 600 dollar brick size dap that sounds the same or more crap thatn that..
even my hiby R3 is now a Ultra version with the 9038s.. the hiby pro will be crap compared to this :wink: (of course)

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #205 of 1,482
Hard for me to believe you are going to get much more out of the runabout than straight out of the PDV2... Or is it just to be able to use headphones with an unbalanced cable? I've experimented with the pdv2 as just a dac, outputting in balanced to the ifi XCAN, and it was just okay, certainly not any noticeable improvement over the pdv2 on its own - even with the extra power. BUT! The 9038s > XCAN worked really, really well.

If you're looking at E1DA for just the DAC ability, I would go with a 9038s/d instead of the pdv2.

I already have the Runabout, and I was curious to try the E1DA as portable solution or just one home setup, and also use it as dac to use the Runabout, but at that time if the only thing that will change on the 9038D will be the 3.5Se output, I will take both the PDv2 and the 9038D to have every combination possible in portable setup and home setup

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #206 of 1,482
Yeah i have Pdv2 for my sofa and 9038s for running around. since i am new to hifi stuff since not even 2 months i directly got my only 2,5 stuff with sick balanced electro acousti endgame cables (and regret it NEVER, because neotech cables are insane and the second one is incoming)

buuuttttt 9038D will really be an asskicking device that most anticipate that dondt have exotic balanced stuff/crap i think this one will be winner.. i terms of sound those things kick butt of most other daps and dacs.. for that price.. simply amazing.. !! why spend 500 bucks for a brick when i can have a thumb size thing :wink: Really Ivan is a veteran in this buisness and knows how to do stuff that sounds good.. that others sell for 5x times the price and sound like crap.

Love em. best regards, daniel (listening with sundaras on pdv2 with tuned vinyl compressor like preset with on top harman curve stuff to jazz music.. thats a winner. sundaras can sound like BÄÄÄMMM!)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #207 of 1,482
Been running this set up for years, there is no risk. You can use system settings/audio midi setup to adjust the output level - but the best way to use soundflower is with something like hosting au: http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html

This way you can fine tune the output, as well as use all the audio plugins (gEW/pEQ) and any other plugins you may have downloaded. This is really the best way to EQ sound on a Mac, especially if you stream music from spotify/tidal/qobuz etc and aren't using a music player with good built-in EQ.

Thank you, I don't listen music much on my mac (I prefer on the couch/bed with my phone or tablet so your advice is priceless. I will add this answer to first page FAQ and tag you, if you don't mind.

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #208 of 1,482
The first page FAQ section is becoming a book lol. Yet people are asking same questions again and again on discord and head fi refusing to read it before asking. Some UK guy even fried his DAC by using 2.5mm→3.5mm SE impossible adapter and tried to blame Ivan for not warning the users beforehand.

I get it, it is the internet, no one reads. But still, I am amused and wanted to rant.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #209 of 1,482
Thank you, I don't listen music much on my mac (I prefer on the couch/bed with my phone or tablet so your advice is priceless. I will add this answer to first page FAQ and tag you, if you don't mind.
Your missing out on Audirvana Plus then on MacOS, as no player I've used sounds as good as A+.
They should just sound the same in theory, acting purely as a file 'passing and processing device' for the music, but for whatever reason there is variation in SQ/presentation between these players in stock/unfiltered form.

EDIT : my comparisons above have been A+ MacOS Vs top 3 Android music players...I have not heard Roon etc.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #210 of 1,482
Anyone leave their pdv2 plugged in all the time? I have one for my desktop setup but right now I unplug it from USB if Im going to step away for more thab 15 mins. I guess im a bit paranoid its going to set my desk on fire or something haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back