E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Oct 18, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #181 of 1,483
what if my amp has also the balanced option as connection to the source
Which amp has 2.5mm BAL in? Would love to know.

So you have a V30 + 9038S setup already ?

Can you please go into a little more detail into areas such as soundstage, sub bass, detail etc

I would like know which particular areas benefit the most. Thanks

No I don't. I forwarded your question to a v30+9038S owner and answered you on behalf of him. Can't get any more details, sorry. Generally 9038S is considered a step up from V30 quad DAC from the information Ive seen reported from a few users.

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #184 of 1,483
Venture Electronics Runabout 2.0 BAL Lite, has both the 3.5se and 2.5 balanced in
Good to know, I thought you were trying to say, a power amp. 9038S has 340mW/chnl @ 32Ω which is sufficient to power 300Ω cans like HD650. May I know what cans will you be going to feed 9038S with, that requires that additional 450mW from VE R2BL? T50RP?

One thing to note, there is no constant voltage output mode from 9038S so it is difficult to feed a 2VRMS or 3VRMS signal to downstream amp, with high chances of causing "double amping".

While 9038D will have a "home DAC" mode which can send 3.5VRMS signal to downstream. Which is more ideal if you plan to amp signal from an E1DA.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #185 of 1,483
Good to know, I thought you were trying to say, a power amp. 9038S has 340mW/chnl @ 32Ω which is sufficient to power 300Ω cans like HD650. May I know what cans will you be going to feed 9038S with, that requires that additional 450mW from VE R2BL? T50RP?

One thing to note, there is no constant voltage output mode from 9038S so it is difficult to feed a 2VRMS or 3VRMS signal to downstream amp, with high chances of causing "double amping".

While 9038D will have a "home DAC" mode which can send 3.5VRMS signal to downstream. Which is more ideal if you plan to amp signal from an E1DA.

I was only curious and thinking on a ipotethical desktop setup where I will use as dac the PDv2 and the Runabout as amp

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #187 of 1,483
no matter what I cannot get my LG V30 to see the Powerdac V2 via bluetooth in HPToy all I get is demo mode no device.
My bluetooth on the phone sees it but you are only supposed to connect via the app

Weird part is that my iphoneXR sees it
I deleted the app from th eiPhone to make sure there isn't any conflicts

what's up with this?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #188 of 1,483
no matter what I cannot get my LG V30 to see the Powerdac V2 via bluetooth in HPToy all I get is demo mode no device.
My bluetooth on the phone sees it but you are only supposed to connect via the app

Weird part is that my iphoneXR sees it
I deleted the app from th eiPhone to make sure there isn't any conflicts

what's up with this?

Page 1 post #2 FAQ.
You should try the "Note" part.
Screenshot_20191020-135942__01.jpg

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #189 of 1,483
Location services like GPS has to be turned on?
that seems weird
I don't usually have that turned in my phone to save battery

I tried everything except pairing within the bluetooth settings with all zeros
I'll give that a try tomorrow
Thanks for the extra info

meanwhile i'm just using the 9038 dongle connected to my R3 via usb c
helps the TIN P1 open up

but I really wanted to get access to HPToy on the PDV2 though to select the P1 setting

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #190 of 1,483
Location services like GPS has to be turned on?
that seems weird
I don't usually have that turned in my phone to save battery

I tried everything except pairing within the bluetooth settings with all zeros
I'll give that a try tomorrow
Thanks for the extra info

meanwhile i'm just using the 9038 dongle connected to my R3 via usb c
helps the TIN P1 open up

but I really wanted to get access to HPToy on the PDV2 though to select the P1 setting

Page 1 , post #2 FAQ:

"Q: After installing HPToy app, it asks for location permission and storage permission. Why?
A:
Location permission has to be given in order for the Bluetooth LE to work (API 26). E1DA does not want to know your location, don't worry.
Storage permission is needed for saving downloaded/adjusted preset onto local storage.
Both permissions have to be given in order to work. GPS has to be ON during HPToy app operation to ensure normal app behavior."

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #191 of 1,483
Yes you can, but you are better off with wider selections if you wait for 9038D. Like, JDS atom, will have more power and measures very well.

why wider selections? because it is more common to have an 3.5mm imput like the Atom?

but if I can connect the PDv2 to the Runabout I will stuk with that for a long time, and also use the PDv2 as portable solution with all those features

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #192 of 1,483
why wider selections? because it is more common to have an 3.5mm imput like the Atom?

but if I can connect the PDv2 to the Runabout I will stuk with that for a long time, and also use the PDv2 as portable solution with all those features

Because amps with 2.5mm TRRS BAL input is super rare. They are almost always unable to plug into a power amp due to complications of GND management. In fact, I did not know of any until you told me so.

4.4mm 5 pole pentagon Sony BAL standard solves this issue hence IMO 4.4mm should be the future of balanced connections.

In the mean time it is easy to connect a 3.5mm OUT of a DAC and input to 3.5mm or RCA IN of an amp. Most amplifiers has one of either or both input selections. That is why I recommended 9038D 3.5mm SE for your application. But if you have your eyes on VE amp, I don't see why not.

But at 340mW@32Ω, 9038S/D/PDV2 can handle 90% of headphones and virtually 100% of IEMs just by themselves. In fact, a user has paired Senn HD800S (or HD800, can't remember clearly) with 9038S and reported to be happy with its SQ as a portable setup solution.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #195 of 1,483

Not the best picture, but here is the M0 and PDV2, plus powerbank.

is that a sony powerbank?
If so i have all three of those devices and will try that combo

at this point I've just been using my Hiby R3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back