E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Sep 30, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #1,037 of 1,967
Anyone looking to sell their Ebony cups? I've been emailing Chan but with no success.
Chan could be long to reply but is very reliable...
I think I waited 10 days or so the first time I wrote him.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #1,039 of 1,967
I just picked up of the Teaks and while they sound absolutely AWESOME, they leak too much for my office environment. Especially listening to some of the lyrical content contained in some of my albums lol.

Is there anyway to seal the edges of the wooden cup to metal wring barrier, without sacrificing any SQ?

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,040 of 1,967
I just picked up of the Teaks and while they sound absolutely AWESOME, they leak too much for my office environment. Especially listening to some of the lyrical content contained in some of my albums lol.

Is there anyway to seal the edges of the wooden cup to metal wring barrier, without sacrificing any SQ?

Sadly if you do that you compromise part of the design that gives you that wonderful sound signature. Also the cups are so thin that they actually leak sound in that direction too, certainly much, much more compared to the noticeably thicker TH-X00s.

Oct 4, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,042 of 1,967
Hello, did anyone got a mail from Chan lately ? I emailed him on the 19th of september regarding my headphone currently in repair, and he has yet to reply.

I heard from him 2 days ago; turns out his email to me landed in my spam folder, as tcellguy suggested above!

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,044 of 1,967
Hi all!
So I have just bought an E-mu teak headphones :) they will arrive sometime next week.
Wanted to ask you guys, is there anyone using Burson Play with e-mu's? I have basic version and I can't decide eather to go with v6 vivid or v6 classic opamp upgrade :) any thoughts?
Cheers,
Mirek

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,045 of 1,967
And here they are!
First impressions - they sound and look great:)
IMG_20181011_145835.jpg
IMG_20181011_151558.jpg IMG_20181011_152750.jpg

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,046 of 1,967
Now thats my kind of review - short and sweet. I love mine though my DT1990's are getting more action lately.

Enjoy your new headphones. Be careful with the ear cups - they are soft and mark easily. I got a small ding on mine and my OCD went bezerk!!

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,047 of 1,967
Hi everyone,

I have been listening to my E-Mu's for over a week, so I am now able to write a few more words about them :) I would like to add that I listen to them @ work with burson play, standard version. I plan to change to classic opamps.
I mainly listen to rock, indy, jazz, funk and other similar stuff :)

In general, my headset history looks like this: CAL! -> Bose AE -> B & O h6v2 -> / Sennheiser MOMENTUM M2 AEBT / -> Ultrasone DXP -> E-mu Teak.
Almost every time the new headphones seemed better to me than all the previous ones. The exception was M2s which in my opinion do not wash into h6v2 and I have sold them after a week).

The biggest quality jump that I experienced was undoubtedly Bose -> B & O. H6'tki are, in my opinion, great headphones, especially if you can buy them for about 500 PLN. They play very clean, with good, deep bass and high tones exactly what I like - very detailed, but not tiring in any way.

DXP generally sound quite similar to the h6. They have a similar amount of bass, maybe a little less sub-bass, but more medium bass, so it's generally more noticeable. The high notes were virtually identical - very good. In DXP I was surprised by the midrange :) Some female vocals caused shivers. I did not really like the materials that they were made of, but it's a DJ headphone after all. They isolated very well , which was a big advantage when listening at work (I listen to it every day for several hours).

But I wanted headphones that not only sound well, but also look good, so I started looking for a different variants of fostex / fosters.
I found the ones I liked best - E-mu's Teak and made the decision to sell DXP and change my equipment.

The headphones are very light for their size and materials used. I was in a slight shock, how light they are:wink: The wood is beautiful, satin finished . The headphones are comfortable, sometimes I can feel the pressure of the headband slightly, but it does not bother me. Immediately after the purchase I ordered a new pair of pads - the dekoni shipskin ones (artificial leather does not fit the rest of the headphones :))

Okay, so how is it playing? :) After putting them on, for a few seconds I was overwhelmed by mid / high bass. It is impossible to hide that this is the freq range that attracts the most attention. At first it seemed to me that the bass is too much for my liking.
Not anymore. Such a bass base causes the music to be "meaty", alive. At the same time, the bass is well controlled. Interestingly, comparing with the h6 you do not have the impression that the bass is louder. Sub-bass is the same. There is more of a high and a medium bass. Can hear the bass in a places where in h6 it just can't be heard. Sensational, for example, is the drum in:

The midrange seems to be slightly withdrawn and I plan to emphasize it slightly by changing my opamps. The vocals sound very good, a bit more natural than on the b & o (which also have this range slightly withdrawn). There is more mass here again. + again.

The high tones seemed withdrawn at first. I like strong highs and at the very beginning I had the impression that there is too little of them and that I will not get along with the headphones becouse of them.
Amazingly, the impression has disapeared again. Strangely enough - a lot of people think that the highs are too strong in the fostex clones :) My colleague from work (also has h6's) after listeningto E-mu's said that according to him, there is more highs here and that there is more detail in them. They also cause the headphones to have a larger sceene. This is a big difference from h6. The sound is around us and not inside the head. Maybe in the first moment because of the bass I got the impression that there is less treble? At the moment, it seems to me that they is just as much as i like and are just great.

After changing the pads to the dekoni, it seems to me that the amount of bass has gently decreased and the treble has increased. Change in a good direction!

Currently, I've got used to them and I'm very, very happy. Listening to the music is a pure pleasure for me. The live concerts sound like i was there. Drums, bowls, bass guitar, all make the music much more noticeable. It is not boring! After listening to the teak, I can not listen to CALi or H6 anymore :)

Please forgive me my shortcomings in the vocabulary, I tried to describe my feelings the best I could :)

The only problem for me is that the headphones do not isolate me from the environment and surroundings from me as well as good as H6 or DXP. Sound leakage is quite noticible.

Is there any alternative with similiat, great bass with less sound leakage around? :)

Good that the headphones sound very good even in a very low volume, so I'm listening a bit quieter and this is for now the recipe for the leakage :) No one is complaining now:wink:

So in general, these are the most stunning headphones I had, with the delicate "U" freq graph. They work great in both rock and jazz, or even rap or edm :)

Honestly, I highly recommend it to everyone!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back