E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,007 of 1,955
I bought some teaks used and they didn't come with stock pads. Can someone tell me which pads are stock or which ones I can get to have stock sound? Are they x00 pads or maybe d7000 pads?
Thanks

The E-Mu Teaks and TX-X00 have the same stock pads.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,008 of 1,955
_DSC1301.jpg

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,010 of 1,955
Thanks, I'll try those. I currently have dekoni sheepskins with junki's felt mod so I'll compare em to that setup. Also have Palo Santo cups so not very stock haha.

I really enjoy the Dekoni Sheepskin pads over the stock pads. The stock pads does produce more sub bass but I found them uncomfortable on my ears. If you're ears are smaller than mine you should give it a go. You can always sell them if you don't find them comfortable.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,011 of 1,955
I personally love the ZMF Ori pads with the Dekoni attenuation rings on the Teaks.

Super comfortable, doesn’t alter the sound in a negative way. Fantastic sub bass.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,012 of 1,955
Essentially I'm trying to identify why the bass and especially subbass doesn't sound as crazy as I think it should. My biggest concerns are pads, the Palo Santo cups (which are denser than ebony so further on that end than teak or mahagony) and maybe the amp I'm using (I've heard that the O2 is a little light in the bass dept, and it's much bassier off my speaker amp). Pads are a quick check so I'll do that first.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,013 of 1,955
Essentially I'm trying to identify why the bass and especially subbass doesn't sound as crazy as I think it should. My biggest concerns are pads, the Palo Santo cups (which are denser than ebony so further on that end than teak or mahagony) and maybe the amp I'm using (I've heard that the O2 is a little light in the bass dept, and it's much bassier off my speaker amp). Pads are a quick check so I'll do that first.
It is most likely your amp. I don't know why so many people love that amp, but I couldn't stand it, it was so lean. That would be my guess anyway.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #1,015 of 1,955
The Schiit Vali 2 sounds great with the Teaks... that falls right in your range. Get you a good tube and you will be set.

I have the Genalex Gold Lion in mine and I love it.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,017 of 1,955
How about solid states? I don't know if I want to go tubes with my current setup...

It’s a hybrid tube amp... so it can handle even iems.

As far as solid state... maybe look into the Magni 3. I haven’t personally heard it but there are quite a few people how really like that amp.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #1,018 of 1,955
How about solid states? I don't know if I want to go tubes with my current setup...

Hmm...for $100 possibly the Magni 3. For $200 a used MCTH is great and there are tubes that can bring the bottom end. If you really want a good SS solution for bass save up for a used Jotunheim or Gilmore Lite MK2.

Try to pad roll first. Cheapest option. If that doesn't work then sell the pads and save up for an amp. A good $250 - $400 amp will probably make the biggest difference. The Teaks really have great bass paired with a Jot or MK2.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,019 of 1,955
Hmm...for $100 possibly the Magni 3. For $200 a used MCTH is great and there are tubes that can bring the bottom end. If you really want a good SS solution for bass save up for a used Jotunheim or Gilmore Lite MK2.

Try to pad roll first. Cheapest option. If that doesn't work then sell the pads and save up for an amp. A good $250 - $400 amp will probably make the biggest difference. The Teaks really have great bass paired with a Jot or MK2.
Stock x00 pads came in today. Little to no change in bass response, in fact everywhere else they sounded a little bit worse than Dekoni pads + ring + felt mod. Congrats to @junki for finding this combination and mod - sounds quite a bit better than stock.

So now that that's off the table, I'm going to play around a bit more with my speaker amp and maybe look at a MCTH or Asgard, though I'd prefer to buy new so I can return if I don't like the changes. Vali might be a good place to start.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,020 of 1,955
I'll be honest, I would shell out a bit extra to get these cans playing too their price. I would strongly recommend the ifi micro. I love the combination, and you can get it for under $400 new from adorama from time to time. It's really a great dacamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back