E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Dec 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #1,067 of 1,955
Do the dekoni elite hybrid pads for thx-00 on massdrop fit emu-teaks? (I assume they do but just making sure) and does anyone know if they change the sound? Also how hard are they to swap pads?

Easy to swap. I’d go with Eikon pads and Dekoni attenuators.

I’m not sure about the connectors failing but the stock cable is somewhat fragile appearing. I got a periapt balanced cable for my Jotunheim that sounds great.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,070 of 1,955
I see you had the Atticus? How does the Emu Teak compare? I've been thinking of getting either Atticus or Eikon. I'm hoping to test them out at CanJam NYC 2019.

Immna jump in here on this one... The Teak has more sub-bass extension and a cleaner impact to the bass notes, but the Atticus has more bass overall, better texture and control, and only slightly less impact. I think the Teak hits hard and thumps, but the Atticus has a richness to the sound (because of the thick bass) that is very appealing. The mids on the Teak are rich and clear, but not especially lush. Despite the slight L-shaped to the bass-mids, it still sounds very coherent. Vocals are not forward, but neither are they recessed. Just smooth, even, and close to neutral. Atticus again wins on detail, with the mids sounding moderately more forward. It is possibly they are just better defined with more intense dynamics compared to the softer and more relaxed presentation of the Teak. The bass does blur into the lower mids just a tad, impinging a bit on male vocals. I am a poor judge of this effect generally because I listen mostly to planars with very little mid-bass hump, but I will say that I noticed the bass bleed with the Atticus and usually it does not bother me. Upper mids and lower treble are better defined and more present on the Atticus, however this headphone also has greater potential for fatigue and glare. The n-shaped Atticus sounds more vibrant and lively than the Teak, where the Teak sounds smoother and more refined. This relationship extends to the treble as well, with the Atticus offering slightly better extension and more presence to the Teak's more polite nature. The advantage of the Teak here is that it sound much more open than the Atticus and much has a much smoother frequency response overall.

If you've been reading carefully, you've probably noticed that I've basically said that the Atticus has more bass, more mids, and more treble. And, that is sort of correct. It definitely has more bass, but otherwise this perception of 'more' seems to be more accurately expressed as this: the Atticus has a much more intense, immediate, vibrant, dynamic sound with greater detail, while the Teak has a softer, more relaxed, more even sound with a serious low-end kick. With the Atticus, I find myself missing the sub-bass presence of the Teak. With the Teak, I find myself wanting a bit more dynamism (except in the bass). I think both are incredibly worthy headphones, with the Teak representing an absolutely expert tuning that is very easy to sink into and the Atticus offering a significant improvement in technical prowess, despite both being well-tuned and capable.

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,072 of 1,955
Good morning everyone.
Does anyone have aftermarket pads that have a better overall seal?
Also, I'm looking for a blanced XLR Cable. Does anyone have an aftermarket cable to suggest?

James

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,073 of 1,955
Good morning everyone.
Does anyone have aftermarket pads that have a better overall seal?
Also, I'm looking for a blanced XLR Cable. Does anyone have an aftermarket cable to suggest?

James

I have both the ZMF Ori pads as well as the ZMF perforated Eikon pads. I pair them with the Dekoni attenuation rings and they fit and sound fantastic and are way more comfortable than the OEM pads.

Norne makes great cables in various styles and price points, plus Trevor is a great guy.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,075 of 1,955
Periapt makes a nice balanced cable. I believe its the type 2 cable dual 2.5 mm XLR.

Perfect, I ordered one.

I will look into the pads, To be honest I was looking into selling a few pieces of gear to fund a new closed back headphone, but I really like my teaks. Only issue was a lot of leakage and the Balanced cable.

Thanks guy's

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #1,077 of 1,955
oh. that's important.
In that case I might not change them.
They are comfy, I do enjoy them, only I don't feel they seal well.
Thanks for the input!

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,078 of 1,955
Think of them as semi open instead of closed. All those fostex and these emu's that share the old denon build that foster made for them have this.
I adore their sound and fit, got a th900sb at home and now emu teaks at work, which just replaced th-x00ph.

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,079 of 1,955
If you've been reading carefully, you've probably noticed that I've basically said that the Atticus has more bass, more mids, and more treble. And, that is sort of correct. It definitely has more bass, but otherwise this perception of 'more' seems to be more accurately expressed as this: the Atticus has a much more intense, immediate, vibrant, dynamic sound with greater detail, while the Teak has a softer, more relaxed, more even sound with a serious low-end kick. With the Atticus, I find myself missing the sub-bass presence of the Teak. With the Teak, I find myself wanting a bit more dynamism (except in the bass). I think both are incredibly worthy headphones, with the Teak representing an absolutely expert tuning that is very easy to sink into and the Atticus offering a significant improvement in technical prowess, despite both being well-tuned and capable.

Thanks for the comparison. I'm off to CanJam this weekend to see if the Atticus or Eikon (or some other closed headphone) can offer the increased dynamism I'm also looking for over the Teaks. Slightly more expansive soundstage would also be nice, although that might be asking too much in a closed headphone.

Do you find the Atticus has excessive woody-related coloration of the sound compared to the Teaks? Are the timbres of instruments generally pretty accurate to your ears? I'm going to be most curious how the additional sub-bass extension of the Eikon compares to the Teaks. I suspect if the Atticus leaves one wanting more in the sub-bass then the Eikon might leave one wanting more slam in the mid-bass. I shall see.

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #1,080 of 1,955
Thanks for the comparison. I'm off to CanJam this weekend to see if the Atticus or Eikon (or some other closed headphone) can offer the increased dynamism I'm also looking for over the Teaks. Slightly more expansive soundstage would also be nice, although that might be asking too much in a closed headphone.

Do you find the Atticus has excessive woody-related coloration of the sound compared to the Teaks? Are the timbres of instruments generally pretty accurate to your ears? I'm going to be most curious how the additional sub-bass extension of the Eikon compares to the Teaks. I suspect if the Atticus leaves one wanting more in the sub-bass then the Eikon might leave one wanting more slam in the mid-bass. I shall see.

Soundstage is hard to come by in closed-backs, of course, but the Teak and the Atticus do about as well as any closed-back I've ever heard. They sound more open than some actually open headphones, like the LCD-2F, for example. In return, they don't seal quite as well as most closed-backs, though still enough to get by in an office setting.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by wood coloration... but they do have a warmth and lushness to them that does change depending upon the tone wood you select. I was shocked to discover how unsubtle that change was when I tried out a pair of Manchurian Ash Atticus and compared them to my Camphor ones. The wood change makes more of a difference than a lot of pads changes have. Fortunately for me, I liked the less warm, bassy Camphors.

Is the timbre of instruments very accurate? No, not especially. I find instruments with a lot of tonal depth (it that phrase makes sense) and overtones like electric guitars, brass, or more traditional stringed instruments, tend to carry too much mid-bass with them and lack some bite to them. A more accurate headphone in this regard would be the Auteur. With those, instruments sound strikingly real. This is not really that big an issue. No instrument sounds weird or fake or processed, just a bit wooly and thicker than natural sometimes. With the right music, however, that richness is incredibly appealing.

I, too, wonder about the Eikon. From everything I've read about it, I would probably prefer it over the Atticus, but the Atticus fits a more unique role in my collection. I would certainly try both, if possible. I think the differences between the two are fairly minor, so it should be a low-pressure decision. The Eikon is seems much more like a direct upgrade over the E-MU Teak, so that may influence your decision one way or the other. The Atticus is different enough from the Teak to keep both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back