E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Aug 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #286 of 1,969
Originally Posted by dpump 

Anyone have an E-MU Teak headphone they want to sell? PM me if you do.

Did get a pair from a member who purchased them from the May MassDrop. Very happy with the sound quality. Had a pair of TH-X00 but from memory I like the Teak a lot better. Bass seems to be better defined on the Teak where I remember the TH-X00 as having more bass but less clarity. Really a very smooth and pleasing sound on the Teak but still with excellent detail and definition.

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #287 of 1,969
Anyone has compare between this EMU teak and PH from Fostex? I wonder which sounds more balance.

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #292 of 1,969
I love the D5000s for their deeply relaxing signature. My experiences with Grado RS2s (more urgent and transparent) and Oppo PM1s (much wider and deeper ss) have each time sent me back to my old Denons where, somehow, the weaknesses of the design always yield after a few minutes to crazy bliss...

Searching the thread, it seems a few people here with Denons like the E-MU and think it stacks up favorably. I'm tempted because of the forthcoming detachable cable and the chance to go balanced through my HA-1. My dear Denons will not last forever, either, and after all these years their sound is inseparable from how I enjoy music.

Have any mods in the past shown good results for using balanced cabling with the Fostex biocellulose drivers? My only experience is with the PM-1s. I found the planars too detailed and dry in the end, but they were noticeably better with their balanced cable.

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #293 of 1,969

I have them, that's why I asked. :) It's not terrible by any means, but I liked the old Denon design more, my ears had more space and the TH900 pads look really roomy. And I'm also intrested how it effects the sound. How did it change the sound exactly? And I see you have the TH-X00 as well, which one do you like more?

Well...I thought that the impact of the bass was a little more pronounced with the stock pads vs. the TH600/TH900 style pads.  Maybe I didn't have as good of a seal with the TH600/TH900 pads.  Like I said, it wasn't necessarily a bad change, and others might find them perfectly acceptable.  I find myself reaching for the E-MU Teaks more often than the THX00...at least I think so.  I really like the EM-U Teaks with small group jazz...Miles, Coltane, John Abercrombie, etc...clarity, imaging, instrument placement are all really outstanding. 

I'd like to add something here. Indeed the EMU pads could be better. Why? What I've noticed is that on the EMUs, the area of the pad around the opening for the ear has plastic behind it. The plastic frame at the back of the pads is such that its only been cut in line with the ear space. So there's two frames... one holding the pads, another INSIDE the pads. I think that directs the sound into the ear section only. That may add bass, may keep mids and highs inside the ear section.

When I tried the Brainwavz HM5 sheepskin pads, the bass reduced a bit. That's what I felt. I think the stock pads on the EMU are ideal and have been crafted as such to deliver this sound. Since the Fostex pads are more open on the inside, I would expect them to deteriorate the sound a bit. And I'm not sure if they're using the same acoustic technique.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #294 of 1,969
I found that having a correct seal with the ear pads is critical to getting the best sound out the eMus. It sounds obvious, but the pads are angled so, that if no attention is paid they can quite easily sit askew on my head. I usually wear them with the headband sitting quite forward on my head, otherwise they get pretty loose there.

I think Im due another swap back to the teak cups soon. I read with amazement the th-x00 thread where people are buying 2 to 3 pairs of the same headphone. Very happy that I bought into the eMu phones when I did and the versatility of changeable ear cups.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #295 of 1,969
Looking for some comparisons between Denon D5000, Teak, and Fostex TH-900... I heard the Denons at a recent meet and was really impressed (via RNHP+Modi 2). I started looking at TH-900 as I've heard it is a step up from the Denon. Reading a bit more I'm pointed at the Teak as the spiritual successor to the Denon.

TH-900 is a little more expensive to blind buy but I have the higher end amp+dac to drive it. I saw one recent guy on the Woo Audio thread saying TH900 on the WA5 takes it to another level.

Then I'm wondering how Teak and Denon compare to some of the new stuff like Focal Elear, Ether Flow? I've got the Audeze LCD-XC and these are great but there's times I think I liked the Denon bass more. I really liked that everything was clear and then the bass came through nice and heavy on the Denon but it didn't seem muddy/out of control or stepping on the rest of the sound. I want to find some fun cans like that. I suppose even up to the high end people say the Abyss is great, but I wasn't super impressed from my demo a year ago. I would have said it's a little better than the LCD-XC I had but not a lot. They had Jazz and classical to demo not any kind of EDM so I'm left wondering... people in the Abyss thread say if you get it adjusted right you'll never want anything else...

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #296 of 1,969
  Looking for some comparisons between Denon D5000, Teak, and Fostex TH-900... I heard the Denons at a recent meet and was really impressed (via RNHP+Modi 2). I started looking at TH-900 as I've heard it is a step up from the Denon. Reading a bit more I'm pointed at the Teak as the spiritual successor to the Denon.

TH-900 is a little more expensive to blind buy but I have the higher end amp+dac to drive it. I saw one recent guy on the Woo Audio thread saying TH900 on the WA5 takes it to another level.

Then I'm wondering how Teak and Denon compare to some of the new stuff like Focal Elear, Ether Flow? I've got the Audeze LCD-XC and these are great but there's times I think I liked the Denon bass more. I really liked that everything was clear and then the bass came through nice and heavy on the Denon but it didn't seem muddy/out of control or stepping on the rest of the sound. I want to find some fun cans like that. I suppose even up to the high end people say the Abyss is great, but I wasn't super impressed from my demo a year ago. I would have said it's a little better than the LCD-XC I had but not a lot. They had Jazz and classical to demo not any kind of EDM so I'm left wondering... people in the Abyss thread say if you get it adjusted right you'll never want anything else...

The elear and ether flow are going to beat the Teak straight up pretty easily.  If you have no preference between open or closed and the money doesn't make a difference, get the elear or flow.  The Teak's selling point is that it comes very close to elite open performance while being closed enough to not bother other people in a quiet office.  The TH900 is a different type of sound in a lot of ways, with a noticeable V shape.  The Teak has a much richer, more natural midrange, the TH900 has better bass and treble extension, but lacks some midrange and lower midrange.  

At the end of the day, if you don't need a closed headphone for practicality reasons, don't buy a closed headphone.  Even the best closed cans in the world just approach what the truly elite open cans can do when it comes to presentation of space and resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back