E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Oct 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #316 of 1,969
Just got them in!  

(Pardon the fluorescent lighting, glare, and meh image quality.   They're quick pics from my smart phone.)

Left Cups

Right cups:

I'm at work, so I will have to wait until I get home to snap photos of the Rosewood cups and get some initial listening impressions.

Edit: Imgur hosed everything, so I had to upload them again. Looks like the Head-Fi forum captured the orig images though, so... 

beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #317 of 1,969
oooo very nice - love those rosewood cups.  And you got a very distinctive set of teak cups as well, congratulations!  I predict you will find both sound sigs very different but agreeable.  Wishing you lots of fun swapping back and forward!

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #318 of 1,969
NIce! I've been wanting a pair of Rosewood cups because I liked the blood-red coloring in the stock photos on Massdrop, but the ones you received seem a bit more on the brown/copper side. Maybe I might just get the Teak on the next drop. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #319 of 1,969
Wow.

Guys, I just had a cup-less drive of my cans. And damn, am I impressed.

Bass is often compromised with no cups. Bass, you ask? Damn, it's all the same. Still tight, and they will shake your ears just the same. Neutrality is added, and I had some improvement in soundstage too. Damn, these 50mm bio-cellos are the sh!t man.

At this point, I will declare, cups or no cups just have 5% difference in sound. I'm gonna say for me, it's just a cosmetic thing and protects the drivers. I would even have just a mesh over the drivers instead of cups and still be happy all the same.

Do have a go and tell me what you guys find. Let's have a cup-less go!!!!! It might just change ur opinion!

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #320 of 1,969
  NIce! I've been wanting a pair of Rosewood cups because I liked the blood-red coloring in the stock photos on Massdrop, but the ones you received seem a bit more on the brown/copper side. Maybe I might just get the Teak on the next drop. 

Yes, mine are more this:

Than this:

Don't get me wrong, I think they look very good, but the pics on their site are such a nice deep red I was hoping to get closer to that color.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #321 of 1,969
Wow.

Bass is often compromised with no cups. Bass, you ask? Damn, it's all the same. Still tight, and they will shake your ears just the same. Neutrality is added, and I had some improvement in soundstage too. Damn, these 50mm bio-cellos are the sh!t man.

At this point, I will declare, cups or no cups just have 5% difference in sound. I'm gonna say for me, it's just a cosmetic thing and protects the drivers. I would even have just a mesh over the drivers instead of cups and still be happy all the same.

Do have a go and tell me what you guys find. Let's have a cup-less go!!!!! It might just change ur opinion!

Very interesting! I'm game to test it out! Might be a while, I need to break my teaks in and get used to them.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #322 of 1,969
  Wow.

oh man, when I listened to mine without cups I thought it was terrible.  Honky with no definition, no body whatsoever.  Crazy 2kHz peak.  

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #323 of 1,969

Wow.

oh man, when I listened to mine without cups I thought it was terrible.  Honky with no definition, no body whatsoever.  Crazy 2kHz peak.  

Hmmm... maybe more of us ought to try and see who finds what.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #324 of 1,969
I find the easiest way to swapping cups is

1.  Remove pads
2.  Hold the earphone cup-side down and unscrew the screws.  Do not remove screws
3.  Keep holding earphone cup side down and remove cup.  You should now have 4 screws dangling down.
4.  Decide which way you want the new cups grain to sit and align one hole with one of the screws.  Start with that edge then press the cup into the ear phone.
5.  Gently screw the screws to find the holes, dont force them they should locate easily once you get the first couple right.

Step 4 may take a couple of goes to get right, but this is a lot less fiddly than attempting it any other way.  With a bit of practice swapping cups should take no more than 5 minutes tops.

Hope this helps!

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #325 of 1,969
by the way, Chan just told me he is going to be at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, with cups from 8 different woods.  

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #327 of 1,969
by the way, Chan just told me he is going to be at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, with cups from 8 different woods.  

Nice!! I look forward to meeting him.

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #328 of 1,969
Instead of cups of different wood material, I am more looking forward for larger cup sizes like those from the Lawton.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #330 of 1,969
I still can't get over how good the Teaks sound.   I haven't put the rosewood cups on yet - I'm addicted to teak.   There is only one thing bugging me though.   I have the ZMF Omni pads on now, and it sounds just a bit better if I squish the pads in toward my ears.  I was looking at the Lawton pads - how do those compare to the ZMF pads?  Does anyone have both and can comment on comfort and sound between the two?

Thanks again everyone - you've all been a great help.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back