E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Oct 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #331 of 1,968
On the notion that there's going to be a total of 8 woods, I'm almost hoping that E-MU can come up with some sort of new, modular assembly system to make it easier to swap cups. At this rate, anyone who wants to be a collector of the cups and do frequent swap-outs will end up striping the screws pretty easily.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #332 of 1,968
On the notion that there's going to be a total of 8 woods, I'm almost hoping that E-MU can come up with some sort of new, modular assembly system to make it easier to swap cups. At this rate, anyone who wants to be a collector of the cups and do frequent swap-outs will end up striping the screws pretty easily.

Chan is always experimenting with different woods, that doesn't mean all 8 will necessarily come to market.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #333 of 1,968
Chan is always experimenting with different woods, that doesn't mean all 8 will necessarily come to market.

Yes, a thing to remember with Chan is that he's more of a woodworker than a headphone designer. He loves working with woods and finishes. That's why he went with an OEM for the driver and assembly. His interest is more in the wood and finish.

That being said, if one of the wood/finish combos proves immediately popular during his visits to different audio shows, I wouldn't be surprised to see him offer it more permanently. The Teak will be hard to beat though.

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #334 of 1,968
Yes, a thing to remember with Chan is that he's more of a woodworker than a headphone designer. He loves working with woods and finishes. That's why he went with an OEM for the driver and assembly. His interest is more in the wood and finish.

That being said, if one of the wood/finish combos proves immediately popular during his visits to different audio shows, I wouldn't be surprised to see him offer it more permanently. The Teak will be hard to beat though.

I'd love to see a purpleheart wood. I know the thx00 already has it but Chan's woodworking seems to be a step above.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #335 of 1,968

I've opened them and closed them a pretty number of times. If you be careful enough (which one must be, for how beautiful these things are) i don't think you'd be screwing them over too much. On an additional note, most of these hardwoods can keep up.

I don't think doing that it will be easy... the modular thing. Though this idea... is interesting enough. Yeah. If we think over it a bit more... some kind of lock and twist module (like one of those for the motherboard/processor thing... EMU could make a startling addition. The sound and acoustics are there, and everything else is just right. An easy OTG hot-swap would certainly add to things... and Foster will stand there, just watching... watching why they didn't do it... Just like they keep staring at those aftermarket T50RPs.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #336 of 1,968

I've opened them and closed them a pretty number of times. If you be careful enough (which one must be, for how beautiful these things are) i don't think you'd be screwing them over too much. On an additional note, most of these hardwoods can keep up.

I don't think doing that it will be easy... the modular thing. Though this idea... is interesting enough. Yeah. If we think over it a bit more... some kind of lock and twist module (like one of those for the motherboard/processor thing... EMU could make a startling addition. The sound and acoustics are there, and everything else is just right. An easy OTG hot-swap would certainly add to things... and Foster will stand there, just watching... watching why they didn't do it... Just like they keep staring at those aftermarket T50RPs.

My thoughts exactly! I'm not worried so much for the screw-hole parts of the wood cups, just the screws in general. Then again, as you said, being careful is probably more than good enough. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #337 of 1,968
It will be difficult to make the wood cups modular without first attaching them to a metal ring. If you live in a very dry or very humid climate, the woods will shrink or expand and no longer fit if you leave them unattached to the headphone apparatus for too long.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #338 of 1,968
It will be difficult to make the wood cups modular without first attaching them to a metal ring. If you live in a very dry or very humid climate, the woods will shrink or expand and no longer fit if you leave them unattached to the headphone apparatus for too long.

Does this really happen? I asked Tyll on his site... he didn't reply. Well, luckily I live in somewhat humid climate. Isn't that NOT supposed to happen to hardwoods? I mean, ebony is not waterproof I think, but will this happen to Teak or Mahogany still? What about Oak? Like the one on the Kennerton's that's like thousands of years old.

Why must hardwoods be still affected? At this point, aren't they waxed and stuff too to protect them from being affected by air-contact?

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #339 of 1,968

Perhaps they could develop some sort of metal "storage ring" that you could clip the wood cups to that'll retain their shape during storage. Lol, at this point, I'm just giving their marketing dept ways to increase the MSRP >.>

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #341 of 1,968
  Keep it simple, please = cheap...

No need metal rings, latch-on-latch-off = more design/engineering = more $$$

Even though I was half-joking in my previous post, I don't think improvements on an existing product are necessarily a bad thing. Cheap is nice, but "you get what you pay for" still works both ways. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #342 of 1,968
Here's a simple idea, not sure if addresses it effectively...if fear of stripping threads inside wood holes of earcups from much cup changing, then-
 why not embed tiny steel sockets epoxied in those wood cup holes ? Then screws turn in to sockets, and even a rubber washer or light dressing or tiny bit ultra-thin plumbers tape applied to screw would prevent any buzzing or loosening; even a minute lock washer could be used if needed. It may not help any of us who already own the headphones, but might make it better for future buyers.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #343 of 1,968
Additional idea from last post is to avoid any epoxy by using a steel socket that is double threaded - has both inside & outside threads. This way, the miniature socket screws into wood hole & remains there firmly. A thinner screw is then used to turn into the socket. It could be retro-fitted to existing sets now, and used in all future sets, and these would be micro-size parts. Believe these sockets are already used currently in precision instruments, possibly optics & dentistry also. Simply, a set of sockets with new screws, and a small screwdriver-type tool to turn the socket into the wood - a small packet of parts.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #344 of 1,968
Does this really happen? I asked Tyll on his site... he didn't reply. Well, luckily I live in somewhat humid climate. Isn't that NOT supposed to happen to hardwoods? I mean, ebony is not waterproof I think, but will this happen to Teak or Mahogany still? What about Oak? Like the one on the Kennerton's that's like thousands of years old.

Why must hardwoods be still affected? At this point, aren't they waxed and stuff too to protect them from being affected by air-contact?

People have reported it happening, yes

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #345 of 1,968
To those at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, I've just heard from Mr Chan that he's there right now, so anyone who's there and is interested in demoing the Teaks should pop by his booth (wherever it is).
I haven't hopped on here for quite a while, so it's interesting to see the discussion on the modular system... It might be difficult to get a modular system going without compromising on the seal, but I've recently become acquainted with a wood working guy here in Singapore (where Chan and I are both from), so maybe I can initiate some project ideas between the two...?
I'll talk to Chan a bit about it when he gets back from RMAF, maybe he'll be interested in this. :wink:
He's also let me know that he checks the discussion threads now and then, so continue giving him ideas and feedback.
*Note: I'm not affiliated with Creative or E-MU, I just happen to know Chan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back