E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
May 29, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #1,786 of 1,967
Are the sound signatures of these different woods a night and day difference between? Or would an EMU Teak still be 90% a similar sound to PH?

I really enjoyed the lower and upper end on the purplehearts. It was a very “fun”, hard hitting sound that still was somehow very smooth to my ears. Mids weren't ridiculously recessed either, for me anyways.

I had been trying other middle teir phones at the time from Audeze and Hifiman, and remember thinking “Wow” when i first heard the PH. They really blew me away.
No are the same.
There is no difference between the Fostex cups and the Emu cups.
The only ones that differ in size are the Lawton cups.
They have much more volume.

May 29, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #1,787 of 1,967
Are the sound signatures of these different woods a night and day difference between? Or would an EMU Teak still be 90% a similar sound to PH?

I really enjoyed the lower and upper end on the purplehearts. It was a very “fun”, hard hitting sound that still was somehow very smooth to my ears. Mids weren't ridiculously recessed either, for me anyways.

I had been trying other middle teir phones at the time from Audeze and Hifiman, and remember thinking “Wow” when i first heard the PH. They really blew me away.

Swapping woods is about like swapping pads. The change can range from minimal to fairly noticeable, but typically if you like/dislike one Fostex a different cup isn't going to change that. Instead, it's about refining that general personality to your particular taste. Personally, I've liked every Fostex bio-cellulose driver I've heard. I just like the EMU Teak the best.

May 31, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #1,788 of 1,967
Crinacle says:

1 Emu Teak / Fostex TH-610
3 Denon AH-D5000
4 Denon AH-D5200
5 Fostex TH900
6 Fostex TH909
7 Denon AH-D7200 / 9200

Would you subscribe that? Which is your favourite? I use the 5000 and Crins measurements show that it has got more bass than the Emu Teak. Does an upgrade to the Teak makes sense? Is the 610 or the teak better? How would you describe the sound of the Foster Headphones? Which is the best? I know the Denons x200 have got their own driver. I am very interested in your answers.

May 31, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #1,789 of 1,967
I owned the Denon 7200, E-Mu Teak, Fostex TH-610, TH-900 and the TR-X00 Ebony. I sold the rest and kept the EMUs :)

I like the EMUs more than the 610 - the 610 are quite "thin" in the mids compared to the teak, they are more clinical (but also a bit cleaner) and less musical to me. EMUs have this kind of "natural / organic" sound to it, which i like a lot. Also the treble on the 610s is a bit to harsh for me sometimes. I have to mention, that i am very treble-sensitive. Same Problem with the TH-900 - great headphones, great, heavy bass (better than the rest imo), but the treble is also a bit too harsh for me - much more than on the 610. But if you are a metal-fan, the 610/900 will make you very happy! Also for electronic music, these two are great choices.

The Denon 7200s are very very "relaxed" - some people call it veiled, but i think thats too negative. Bass is a bit more muddy compared to the others, but still ok. The mids were good, the treble a bit recessed. The 7200s are are great "easy to listen" headphones, i liked them especially for old school music, natural instruments, etc. And they look sooo gorgeous. I had problems with the fit - the headband has some kind of hotspot many people complain about.

The TR-X00 Ebonys are headphones i liked a lot. Used them for a long time before i got the Teaks. In my opinion a bit better than the 610s. The soundstage on the EMUs is a bit "airier" (if you can call it like that on a closed headphone) than on the 610 / X00 Ebony / Denon 7200.

I have Dekoni Sheepskins with attenuation rings (covered with felt tape) on my teaks - but i swap pads. Sometimes i like the stock pads more, sometimes the Dekonis. With the Dekonis, the soundtage opens up, the bass gets a bit heavier but you get a bit more treble. While i EQ the Emus with the Dekonis, i use the stock pads without EQ.

Just my opinion - it's all about personal taste :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,790 of 1,967
I don't know. If I could have combined the Teaks with the 7200, it would make one heck of a headphone.
Take the tonality, note weight, timbre, and overall presence of the Teaks, and combine that with the resolution, soundstage, space - air, and separation of the 7200.
Now I'm curious what the drivers might sound like in the others cups.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #1,791 of 1,967
Ordered a Teak! What extras do I need for it?

610 pads?
ZMG Eikon hybrid pads?
Hart cable?
Ebony cups?
Open back cups?
Mod tape/stuff..?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #1,792 of 1,967
Since EMU doesn't offer PH
Screenshot_20220604-013940.png

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,793 of 1,967
Ordered a Teak! What extras do I need for it?

610 pads?
ZMG Eikon hybrid pads?
Hart cable?
Ebony cups?
Open back cups?
Mod tape/stuff..?
Technically nothing, unless you feel there's too much resonance inside the cups. Then you might want some damping material, such as Poly-Fil. And maybe a balanced cable if you have a balanced source. Listen to them for a while before you decide to begin any mods.

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,794 of 1,967
I'd love to hear some thoughts comparing the Fostex TR-X00 Purpleheart vs the E-Mu Teak equipped with purpleheart cups, if anyone has such experience. Nice examples of a used Fostex Purpleheart go for what an E-Mu Teak + PH cups would cost new. If they sound 99% identical like I imagine they might (same drivers, same cups, same pads), then I can stop hounding the Classifieds for Fostex PHs and just buy a Teak + PH cups whenever I please.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,795 of 1,967
I'd love to hear some thoughts comparing the Fostex TR-X00 Purpleheart vs the E-Mu Teak equipped with purpleheart cups, if anyone has such experience. Nice examples of a used Fostex Purpleheart go for what an E-Mu Teak + PH cups would cost new. If they sound 99% identical like I imagine they might (same drivers, same cups, same pads), then I can stop hounding the Classifieds for Fostex PHs and just buy a Teak + PH cups whenever I please.
Hello,
go to Page 119 you can read my impression about the Ph.
For the Denon D2000 it was a big upgrade and a good thing.

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #1,796 of 1,967
Um, do E-Mu headphones come from Singapore..? I was told my Teak shipped today by FedEx, then I got a FedEx tracking email(not from E-Mu's email address), saying I have a 0.8kg/1.75lb package coming from:

MINGTAT MR CHAN
31 INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK
#03-01 CREATIVE RESOURCE
SINGAPORE, SG, 609921

Surely this is not the ZMF pads lol. From what I could tell, E-Mu's HQ is in California.

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #1,797 of 1,967
Um, do E-Mu headphones come from Singapore..? I was told my Teak shipped today by FedEx, then I got a FedEx tracking email(not from E-Mu's email address), saying I have a 0.8kg/1.75lb package coming from:

MINGTAT MR CHAN
#03-01 CREATIVE RESOURCE
SINGAPORE, SG, 609921
Lol, E-Mu is a subsidiary of Creative Labs which is located in Singapore, so it’s for sure the Teak:)

Jun 6, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #1,799 of 1,967
Jun 9, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #1,800 of 1,967

MINGTAT MR CHAN
#03-01 CREATIVE RESOURCE
SINGAPORE, SG, 609921

Surely this is not the ZMF pads lol. From what I could tell, E-Mu's HQ is in California.
That's Chan, my Man, form E-MU. Mr. Very Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back