E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jul 25, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,816 of 1,967
Bought a pair and figured why not and got a set of the Purpleheart cups as well.

Measured them, there's definitely some reduction in mids / upper mids vs stock Teak cups, giving a sense of more bass.

Caveats on measurements: Taken on MiniDSP EARs, anything past 4kHz should be completely disregarded.

Attachments

• eMu Teak stock vs PH cups.png
    eMu Teak stock vs PH cups.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,817 of 1,967
Are the stock pads the same as Denon's older series? I have owned a pair of Denon AH-D7000 and found them very comfortable, so it was surprising to read that so many people find them uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,818 of 1,967
Are the ear pads the same as Denon's older series? I have owned a pair of Denon AH-D7000 and found them very comfortable, so it was surprising to read that so many people find them uncomfortable.
Not sure if they are the same but on emu they are shallow and opening small for my ears touching the driver.

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #1,819 of 1,967
Are the stock pads the same as Denon's older series? I have owned a pair of Denon AH-D7000 and found them very comfortable, so it was surprising to read that so many people find them uncomfortable.
You're right when you say those Denon ones are comfortable, and that people have found the EMUs to not be so, because they aren't.

I wish these WERE the older Denon design, with wider openings. Those are quite a nice fit - I have something similar, but not those goods ones. I think they still come with the Fostex TH-610s, besides the current Denon lineup. I've wanted the TH900 pads at one point - those are even wider - that more larger, circular opening rather than oval.

The EMU stock pads have much smaller holes and are a bit discomforting, similar to the Fostex X00s. I've since swapped several pads and have finally settled for Dekoni Velour Elites - even sheepskins didn't perform as expected.

Off-post: I've actually shied away from the stock sound after years of having owned the EMUs. They sound a bit claustrophobic, and non-leather pads help fix that a bit - surely, at the expense of bass, but these cans are still so bassy good, it doesn't matter much. Regardless, any more OPEN earpads can offer better overall experience than stock.

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,820 of 1,967
You're right when you say those Denon ones are comfortable, and that people have found the EMUs to not be so, because they aren't.

I wish these WERE the older Denon design, with wider openings. Those are quite a nice fit - I have something similar, but not those goods ones. I think they still come with the Fostex TH-610s, besides the current Denon lineup. I've wanted the TH900 pads at one point - those are even wider - that more larger, circular opening rather than oval.

The EMU stock pads have much smaller holes and are a bit discomforting, similar to the Fostex X00s. I've since swapped several pads and have finally settled for Dekoni Velour Elites - even sheepskins didn't perform as expected.

Off-post: I've actually shied away from the stock sound after years of having owned the EMUs. They sound a bit claustrophobic, and non-leather pads help fix that a bit - surely, at the expense of bass, but these cans are still so bassy good, it doesn't matter much. Regardless, any more OPEN earpads can offer better overall experience than stock.
Thank for your reply, but after skimming through the thread I understand that I will have to test lots of different pads for these and still risk not being satisfied, I have to look at something else instead, maybe I should consider the Audeze LCD-2 instead.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #1,821 of 1,967
Yes, that was one of the reasons why I wanted to get rid of my Fostex headphones.
It's fun but it's expensive for the pads and it's also annoying when it doesn't suit your taste.
That is the disadvantage.
And the pads are in the drawer.

I could suggest two more, but it's all a matter of taste in the end.

With the Lcd 2, ironically, that was my next one after the Denon D7200 was sold.
It takes a little time to get used to it in your head.
Especially when you come from Fostex & co.
The midrange and treble are much cleaner and more pleasant.
And with time it seems right.
But the Lcd 2 is a bit of a bitch when it comes to amping.
A hybrid amp is better than an SS amp.
I can say that right away.
Much more balanced and detailed than on the SS amp.

As an alternative, even if it costs more, I would suggest the Zmf Auteur.
Leaves the Lcd 2 on the left and the Fostex headphones as well.
Zmf have redesigned the Auteur so this could be worthwhile and a very good upgrade if you are looking for one.

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #1,822 of 1,967
Does anyone have a picture of their pad with Junki's original felt mod for the Dekoni attenuation ring installed?

I haven't been able to see any images of the end result, are you supposed to cut the felt tape to outline only the attenuation ring's shape? Is it on one side or both?

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,823 of 1,967
Found the E-MU Teak a bit fatiguing (the sound was too close to my ears and/or too much treble) on my setup. Changed from stock pads to Dekoni TH 900 Sheep Skin.
Result: Bigger soundstage, more separation, more bass + lower mids, less fatiguing treble. Still balanced, but slight tilt to the lower registers. From memory it's missing a bit of verticality vs the TH900. Excellent bass, apart from the TH900 I have a hard time remembering anything coming close which includes almost everything below 2k (except Campfire Cascade and THx00, never tried those) Doesn't sacrifice mids either. Oh and if anybody's wondering, I had the D2000 and D5000 here and I vastly prefer these. It reminds me of the IE 300 with Comply Foam Tsx 400 which reduces bass a lot vs stock tips.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #1,824 of 1,967
Found them a bit fatiguing (the sound was too close to my ears and/or too much treble) on my setup. Changed from stock pads to Dekoni TH 900 Sheep Skin.
Result: Bigger soundstage, more separation, more bass + lower mids, less fatiguing treble. Still balanced, but slight tilt to the lower registers. From memory it's missing a bit of verticality vs the TH900. Excellent bass, apart from the TH900 I have a hard time remembering anything coming close which includes almost everything below 2k (except Campfire Cascade and THx00, never tried those) Doesn't sacrifice mids either. Oh and if anybody's wondering, I had the D2000 and D5000 here and I vastly prefer these. It reminds me of the IE 300 with Comply Foam Tsx 400 which reduces bass a lot vs stock tips.
Sorry, which head are you talking about?

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,826 of 1,967
Finally got this headphone. I send it through my regular songs for testing. None of the headphones I've had so far gave me an amount and quality of bass that I was happy with, with these headphones I realized how much bass and mid range I've deprived my self with my headphones so far.

One thing I did right away was swap to a pair of old Orion Sheepskin earpads that I've had for years and love to bits. With the new (old) pads the bass became less boomy, the highs more clear and my ears were no longer crushed, very positive effect for me.

I tried some really thick pads I have as well (can't remember the brand) and the sound became cavernous, with too much reverberations, so this as thick as the pads will go. I also tried some Dekoni Eltie Fenestrated Sheepskin and it was a complete mess, no high end, no bass no midrange; not a good experiment. The sound I liked the most next was with a pair of Brainwavz Velour pads; I liked the sound, but I don't want to deal with velour ever again, so I stuck with the sheepskin.

Unless the Verite Closed are a significant step-up from the E-MU Teak, I don't see my self ever chasing another pair of closed headphones.

By the way, any one have any experiences with the E-Mu Teak and the Verite Closed?

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #1,828 of 1,967
Finally got this headphone. I send it through my regular songs for testing. None of the headphones I've had so far gave me an amount and quality of bass that I was happy with, with these headphones I realized how much bass and mid range I've deprived my self with my headphones so far.

One thing I did right away was swap to a pair of old Orion Sheepskin earpads that I've had for years and love to bits. With the new (old) pads the bass became less boomy, the highs more clear and my ears were no longer crushed, very positive effect for me.

I tried some really thick pads I have as well (can't remember the brand) and the sound became cavernous, with too much reverberations, so this as thick as the pads will go. I also tried some Dekoni Eltie Fenestrated Sheepskin and it was a complete mess, no high end, no bass no midrange; not a good experiment. The sound I liked the most next was with a pair of Brainwavz Velour pads; I liked the sound, but I don't want to deal with velour ever again, so I stuck with the sheepskin.

Unless the Verite Closed are a significant step-up from the E-MU Teak, I don't see my self ever chasing another pair of closed headphones.

By the way, any one have any experiences with the E-Mu Teak and the Verite Closed?
Thanks for the input on the Dekoni elite fenestrated, I was considering those. The stock pads make the headphone sound so damn good, but the comfort just isn't there, my ears are way too big for them. I'm really itching to find a comfortable pad that modifies the sound as little as possible. I've got some Brainwavz velour kicking around somewhere, I'll give those a spin.

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,830 of 1,967
Thanks for the input on the Dekoni elite fenestrated, I was considering those. The stock pads make the headphone sound so damn good, but the comfort just isn't there, my ears are way too big for them. I'm really itching to find a comfortable pad that modifies the sound as little as possible. I've got some Brainwavz velour kicking around somewhere, I'll give those a spin.
I know, right?
Man I've tried a dozen freakin pads on these over the better part of the last six years - and I just have to come back to my stock ones for the sound eventually. I was b!tching just a month or so ago, I had ditched stock and put on Dekoni Elite Angled Velours (got those with an He-4XXs) and when I put back stock again, after months, man I started hating the other pads.
Besides those, I have tried Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin (radio sound, bad, lost bass), Brainwavz Regular Sheepskin (radio sound, bad, lost bass), Brainwavz Hybrid Velours (lost bass, highs increased), Fenestrated (AE Hifiman) Angled pads (lost bass impact - those now are great with my M1060cs), Sheepskin Angled (AE pads) (still losing bass there), Brainwavz XL Sheepskin (what a fail, that one), Hifiman Stock Pleather (lost bass, treble high), Beyerdynamic Velour Pads (nice pads, but smaller, and lost bass impact), Cheaper AE Pleather pads (too mushy, closer sound, but still lost bass impact somehow).

For the life of me, I can't find an alternative to stock pads. I have finally ordered these now: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004161760873.html
S95e12977ce7d4641a1de57b9fb1d9a6eu.jpg

If these can do 90% of what stock can, cuz maybe they'd be comfortable as it's going to be sheepskin. Anyhow, fingers crossed - will come back on these.
Something tells me, the smaller, uncomfortable holes may have to do with the most optimal sound delivery. Something also tells me that the actual attenuation rings GLUED INTO the stock pads may also have something to do with the sound. I wonder if there's an actual play there. Also, the stock pads are just not sloppy and tight and firm - maybe that also plays a role with just the best bass impact delivery of all the pads I (or most other folks) have tried.

Let's see - will figure out things a lot better once I get my hands on these. Will surely post here with my findings - this crap is important. Bout time we put this dilemma aside for good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back