DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jun 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #12,601 of 14,084
  Tried FW 2.3. Switch back to FW 2.2 for punchier bass. Much more fun than new FW.

I wonder why different FW versions have a different sound signature? I thought all the FW does is to take the bits in the pcm and spit it out to the DAC which does the decoding.
Is there some kind of EQ being applied somewhere? How is EQ implemented in a DAC ?

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #12,602 of 14,084
  I wonder why different FW versions have a different sound signature? I thought all the FW does is to take the bits in the pcm and spit it out to the DAC which does the decoding.
Is there some kind of EQ being applied somewhere? How is EQ implemented in a DAC ?

I suppose this would answer your question.An explanation from the man,Lurker0 himself which I took the time to read this time around,and your question pop up just few minutes after ;

"All firmware versions for iBasso DX90, stock or with my modifications, are bit perfect. It means, with EQ turned off, thesound data is not affected by the software, and is transferred to the DAC exactly as it is. Any difference in sound signatures between versions are resulted from different conditions under which the hardware is running."

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #12,603 of 14,084
Hi,

For the DAC you would need to use the co-axial output. What exactly did you mean by the amp section? Are you referring to line out? That may not work on a DAC unless it has for some reason a analog input.
You can use the line out at the bottom of the unit to connect to a line-in of an amp.

Regards

What I meant is using the dac in my case UD120, connecting to the DX90. But only using the amp section of the DX90. Connecting via a 3.5mm cable. I know there is few port on the DX90. Since I don't have the unit I'm not sure which port should use. Just using the amp section of DX90, possible?

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #12,605 of 14,084
Updated to the 2.3
The sub bass is definitely weaken but the depth of soundstage is definitely better than all of the previous fw.
Need more time to decide whether I should roll back to 2.2 for a punchier sub bass:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #12,607 of 14,084
UD120 is a usb dac. Not possible to connect it to dx90

Hmmm, Thanks for the input :) . As i was under the impression of able to use the dx90 as amp only to decode those 32 bit files and such. Well, dx90 works anyway. Anyone have impression of Ibasso DX90 and the DX100/HDP R10? I read those 2 (DX100 and R10) have the ESS9018 32bit. While the DX90 have the k2m behind.. Both seems pretty identical, albeit the DX90 runs on 2 DAC configuration. AFAIK, the amp on the DX100/R10 is more powerful than the one found in DX90 right? Just want to be certain. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #12,608 of 14,084
Hi,

It appears that there may be some confusion in your using the word amp. What exactly do you mean when you say you want to use the dx90 as an amp only to decode 32 bit files? Did you mean to say use the DX90 as a dac? Yes it has 2 dacs inside but not possible to use it as a conventional dac unless you go the USB route just like your UD120.

The dx90 does not have a spdif co-axial input port. What it does is - it takes the files available on internal card, sd card or OTG usb attached storage and provides you a player functionality which includes the 2 DAC chips.

In terms of output - 
It has an ouput earphone port, an ouput spdif coaxial port. Using the output co-axial port it is possible to connect up to a high end DAC. It also has a line out port using which you can connect to an external amplifier or earphone amplifier.

Another option possible is to use the USB port to connect it to a computer and use the unit as an USB DAC. I think drivers will need to be installed on the computer but I havent tried this at all.

Again you say amp on DX100 - you should be saying DAC on DX100. Yes the ES9018 has 8 channels and if you configure it as 4 channels for each of the 2 stereo signals then in theory the output should have less noise than the ES9018 EKM which has only 1 channel. The DX90 does use 2 of the EKMs so slightly better. Unfortunately Iam not an expert in this area and cannot write with great lucidity on this.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #12,610 of 14,084
The DX100 produces more audible noise (though it is pretty low but audible with paused playback) with high sensitive iems than the almost completely silent DX90, that's what I know.

I own a DX100, this is not true with my unit. Unless there is a problem with my hearing. One thing interest me here is the shrink size of DX90 and physical buttons.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #12,611 of 14,084
Propably nothing wrong with your hearing, people's perception of the amount hiss is just different and the Triple.Fi 10 isn't the most critical iem when it's about to spot hiss (there are some that are even more sensitive towards hiss than the Triple.Fi 10 though it is already quite on the sensitive side).
One also has to be in a very quiet environment to detect hiss without music being played on both devices. It's been counting anyway as both have got a very low noise floor, but the DX90's noise floor is lower and just a tad above the blood's noise which you can hear with inserted iems in an extremely quiet room.

Just my $0.02 anyway.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #12,612 of 14,084
  Hi,

It appears that there may be some confusion in your using the word amp. What exactly do you mean when you say you want to use the dx90 as an amp only to decode 32 bit files? Did you mean to say use the DX90 as a dac? Yes it has 2 dacs inside but not possible to use it as a conventional dac unless you go the USB route just like your UD120.

The dx90 does not have a spdif co-axial input port. What it does is - it takes the files available on internal card, sd card or OTG usb attached storage and provides you a player functionality which includes the 2 DAC chips.

In terms of output - 
It has an ouput earphone port, an ouput spdif coaxial port. Using the output co-axial port it is possible to connect up to a high end DAC. It also has a line out port using which you can connect to an external amplifier or earphone amplifier.

Another option possible is to use the USB port to connect it to a computer and use the unit as an USB DAC. I think drivers will need to be installed on the computer but I havent tried this at all.

Again you say amp on DX100 - you should be saying DAC on DX100. Yes the ES9018 has 8 channels and if you configure it as 4 channels for each of the 2 stereo signals then in theory the output should have less noise than the ES9018 EKM which has only 1 channel. The DX90 does use 2 of the EKMs so slightly better. Unfortunately Iam not an expert in this area and cannot write with great lucidity on this.

I didn't mean to say that the DX90 amp use to decode 32bit. I'm just saying that using AMP only on the DX90, which is impossible.

Using it as USB DAC on computer would means using both DAC and AMP section of the DX90 right? But would require driver to be installed right?

From what I know that the OS of the DX90 is not android. While DX100 is android 2.3.1 . Is there custom rom/fw on DX90 other than rockbox itself?

Anyone have direct comparison of Oppo HA-2 and DX90? As I'm hesitating between this 2. As using HA-2 there would be a must to use Android/Apple Device to connect to it, would there be

any interference internally (induce noise) when using phone to connect directly to the DAC/AMP?

Sorry for asking so much question, just want to make sure my purchase would not make me regret. 
redface.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #12,613 of 14,084
I didn't mean to say that the DX90 amp use to decode 32bit. I'm just saying that using AMP only on the DX90, which is impossible.

Using it as USB DAC on computer would means using both DAC and AMP section of the DX90 right? But would require driver to be installed right?

From what I know that the OS of the DX90 is not android. While DX100 is android 2.3.1 . Is there custom rom/fw on DX90 other than rockbox itself?

Anyone have direct comparison of Oppo HA-2 and DX90? As I'm hesitating between this 2. As using HA-2 there would be a must to use Android/Apple Device to connect to it, would there be

any interference internally (induce noise) when using phone to connect directly to the DAC/AMP?

Sorry for asking so much question, just want to make sure my purchase would not make me regret. :xf_eek:

Never try oppo ha2. i would prefer to separate phone with dac and amp. That would be my first preference. Dx90 is very good for all in 1 device. You will never go wrong with it. The rest is just preference.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #12,614 of 14,084
So, I had written a while back, fearing that I had deleted a file or moved one when installing the older Lurker Ibasso firmware. I was unable to do updates and restore the old firmware to try and update that way. I do not know what had happened between then and now, but with the new lurker f.w. the 2.2 version, I was able to update with, and all the issues I was having with the DX90 with those previous errors have been remedied and or removed. So, I am very happy in that regards, and I wanted to ask if there was anyone else here that uses the SM64 from earsonics with the DX90? I think it is a very natural pairing and sounds very  good.

Did not know the f.w. 2.3 was out, has it been out for a while? 

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #12,615 of 14,084
  So, I had written a while back, fearing that I had deleted a file or moved one when installing the older Lurker Ibasso firmware. I was unable to do updates and restore the old firmware to try and update that way. I do not know what had happened between then and now, but with the new lurker f.w. the 2.2 version, I was able to update with, and all the issues I was having with the DX90 with those previous errors have been remedied and or removed. So, I am very happy in that regards, and I wanted to ask if there was anyone else here that uses the SM64 from earsonics with the DX90? I think it is a very natural pairing and sounds very  good.

Did not know the f.w. 2.3 was out, has it been out for a while? 

just a couple days only for fw 2.3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back