DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 12, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #11,251 of 14,084
Probably, you are right about the change of sound signature and the whole sound presentation-the bass became more aggressive, though I still don't find it smeared or bloated (at least on my modded DX 90). And even the vinyl rips I considered mild and relaxing now sound tiresome because of more aggressive lows (the treble is ok, as I perceive it)/
As for the new 10 Band EQ, many people on Russian forum don't share your optimism, because it was reported (and verified by oscillograph measurements) that the equalizer specified bands frequencies are incorrect and when moving an equalizer slider you are adjusting the sound in the band other than the specified one (allegedly, the adjustment results sometimes are even stranger than the ones, which consider such shift). I guess the EQ on DX90 is just condemned to suck...for all eternity (and better be consigned to oblivion)   

Ok, to make it a bit clearer, i am not optimistic about this EQ. I know it's only a "cheap" graphic EQ and not
a parametric or better a Linear Phase EQ ( you´ll never see a Linear Phase EQ on such a device, too much
CPU Power needed ).

But a funny thing to read the bands don't hit the spot...

I was wondering about the spreading of these 10 bands. The most of them are used to equalize the lowend !
And hello, we don't need these Lower spreadings to get rid of some room modes :wink:.
A better spreading for the mid and upper frequency bands like :
20Hz - 80Hz - 250Hz - 500Hz - 1kHz - 2kHz - 7kHz - 10kHz - 14kHz - 18kHz (17kHz for Lurker0) :wink: were more practical and better Settings for every Lows / Mids / Highs.

Or iBasso did this, giving us the tools to take some dBs back of the prominent bass...

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #11,252 of 14,084
Hmm so according to lurker iBasso has increased the gapless buffer to 1000 ms in stock firmware version 2.1.8, curiously gapless playback is still buggy for me... Odd.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #11,253 of 14,084
Hmm so according to lurker iBasso has increased the gapless buffer to 1000 ms in stock firmware version 2.1.8, curiously gapless playback is still buggy for me... Odd.

The known problems with gapless playback (a gap between 1st and 2nd tracks after power on, and not so gapless with MP3s) are not related to the buffer size. Buffer size only helps in cases like big embedded album arts. It does not even help with "fade in/fade out" problem.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #11,254 of 14,084
We are working on an update to the FW. We are going to hand out nerf balls so they can be thrown at the SW team if they don't get this right.
smile.gif

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 12, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #11,257 of 14,084
  We are working on an update to the FW. We are going to hand out nerf balls so they can be thrown at the SW team if they don't get this right.
smile.gif

Aaaah, that's great! Was planning on installing FW 1.2.8 this weekend, but now I think I'll wait till this one's finished...
Can I throw one, please, please, pretty please
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #11,258 of 14,084
smile.gif

Cool! Glad to know there's going to be some progress:)
Paul, could you tell whether there are plans for auto-switching (when the last track of the current folder ends and the first track of the next folder sarts) between the folders implementation? It would be a huge step forward, I think.
Are there any updates for DX 90 USB-DAC driver expected?

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #11,259 of 14,084
If you can add even more frequency bands to the EQ then please make some or all of them parametric, please ask the software team if this is possible to add.

A fully functional and accurate PEQ on DX90 is the only request I have for iBasso. It's all I want.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #11,260 of 14,084
  Aaaah, that's great! Was planning on installing FW 1.2.8 this weekend, but now I think I'll wait till this one's finished...
Can I throw one, please, please, pretty please
biggrin.gif

2.1.8 is finished we will work on another one. Try this new one and see how you like it. Maybe FW's are never finished.
  Cool! Glad to know there's going to be some progress:)
Paul, could you tell whether there are plans for auto-switching (when the last track of the current folder ends and the first track of the next folder sarts) between the folders implementation? It would be a huge step forward, I think.
Are there any updates for DX 90 USB-DAC driver expected?

I will pass it along. Too many requests and they will throw the nerf balls back!
smile.gif

A fully functional and accurate PEQ on DX90 is the only request I have for iBasso. It's all I want.

Will pass it along.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #11,261 of 14,084
Please do Paul, I've asked customer service a long time ago for this feature and you also said that you would pass it along. Could you let us know either way if it's possible for your team to do this, I think a lot of people here would love it. It's the only reason why I use a lot of Rockbox on my DX90 right now. It's just strange to have such an advanced audio device with such crude EQ settings.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #11,262 of 14,084
  Please do Paul, I've asked customer service a long time ago for this feature and you also said that you would pass it along. Could you let us know either way if it's possible for your team to do this, I think a lot of people here would love it. It's the only reason why I use a lot of Rockbox on my DX90 right now. It's just strange to have such an advanced audio device with such crude EQ settings.

Not everything will be possible to get implemented. It also takes time and it seems when you add something that something else changes. I am not offering excuses but an explanation. We will keep working on it.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #11,263 of 14,084
"Track 2 of 14" being shown on the play screen would be nice so you would easily see what track is being played from an album (but it should also work with folder view).

The other thing I mentioned in the bug thread would also be nice if it would be fixed as it doesn't require much change I think:

There's something that bothers me:

On the "now playing" screen, the artist isn't displayed if "Artist" tag is empty but the "Album Artist" tag is inserted.
I guess the DX90 only reads the "Artist" tag.

To solve the problem, you could set "Artist" as priority and make the "Album Artist" tag being displayed if the "Artist" tag is empty.
Something like "if <artist> is empty, display <album artist>".

For example: the track on the right is displayed correctly on the playing screen while the left one is shown as "<null>" where the artist should be displayed.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #11,264 of 14,084

Not everything will be possible to get implemented. It also takes time and it seems when you add something that something else changes. I am not offering excuses but an explanation. We will keep working on it.

I know, it's just nice to know if your software team thinks it will be possible for them to do and if they are willing to do so.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #11,265 of 14,084
Good Points. I think first the firmware team should focus on bug fixing, then we should have a stable, (nearly) bug-free and great sounding firmware as a base.
Afterwards we can think about new things, which could get implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back