DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #10,471 of 14,084
Upgraded to 2.1.5 Lurker0 FW. Love it. sounds impeccable. bass sounds a lot more forward.
So just to get everything straight. 
Is the 2.1.5. FW on iBasso's website the same as lurkers custom FW?
Also what is the advantage of Rockbox on DX90 now? sounds better?

Anyone else waiting on the EL-08 from Audeze ? :D

Lurker fw is cleaned up by removing not needed bits and some versions have different font but all are based on the iBasso fw.

RockBox has a lot more options than the iBasso Mango player. Some prefer it on sound as well, I have not tried it, am perfectly happy with Lurker 2.1.15

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #10,472 of 14,084
Lurker fw is cleaned up by removing not needed bits and some versions have different font but all are based on the iBasso fw.

RockBox has a lot more options than the iBasso Mango player. Some prefer it on sound as well, I have not tried it, am perfectly happy with Lurker 2.1.15

Same here really like 2.1.5 thus far.
I assume 2.1.15 is a typo.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #10,473 of 14,084
Indeed

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #10,474 of 14,084
I keep my album art small, 60 or 100kb and there is no problem, a 64gb scans in a few minutes. There is no reason to have larger sized album art. I find most of mine on the web and it is usually sized correctly and if not, I resize it. 

Yup, I could take that route, as well. I'm personally trying to maintain the same files for use on computer and more than one DAP, so I was thinking that just stripping out album art prior to / during file transfer would lean up the process and require fewer system resources. It's not like I'm staring at the low-res album art, but I can see how some would prefer to have album art on their screens.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #10,475 of 14,084
Yup, I could take that route, as well. I'm personally trying to maintain the same files for use on computer and more than one DAP, so I was thinking that just stripping out album art prior to / during file transfer would lean up the process and require fewer system resources. It's not like I'm staring at the low-res album art, but I can see how some would prefer to have album art on their screens.

Never had any issues with album art mine are just as high quality / res as possible. The way i move files around is. all ALAC files from itunes to the SDcard folder.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #10,476 of 14,084
Also it is important to remember to leave enough free space on both the SD card and internal memory to contain the database and cover art library. If there is not enough memory the scan will not complete, some files will be unplayable and the DX90 will want to try to scan again at next power on. And you get no message about this happening, the scan just doesn't finish

I'll have to check this.  I thought the DX90 only built a new cover art directory on the internal memory...

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #10,477 of 14,084
Also it is important to remember to leave enough free space on both the SD card and internal memory to contain the database and cover art library. If there is not enough memory the scan will not complete, some files will be unplayable and the DX90 will want to try to scan again at next power on. And you get no message about this happening, the scan just doesn't finish

Just a general comment on the desirability of doing this as a standard practice.  Make it a rule to always leave some free memory space on partitions, whether it is on a PMP or a PC.  In a Windows PC, on the C drive, where the OS lives, I always try to leave 1GB or more.  If you ever let it fall below this, you will start noticing slowness, freezing, crashes.  The system does things, like use the memory as a temp buffer when editing files, and a lot of operations need free memory, which the OS uses in the background, without you being aware of it.  Even though data partitions don't have the same heavy use, they also still need free memory to work with.  So to keep things simple, just always leave some extra space in all partitions.   Don't try to use every bit of space, thinking every free MB is wasted space.  Follow this practice, and you will experience less problems, and the system will run smoother.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #10,478 of 14,084
As I mentioned before the Lehmann Traveller is an amazing amp match for the DX90, the amp is ignored on head fi, but if you get the chance try it, easily the best portable amp I have heard and takes the DX90 to "super dap" level.
Also proves how good the DX90 line out is.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #10,479 of 14,084
  Just a general comment on the desirability of doing this as a standard practice.  Make it a rule to always leave some free memory space on partitions, whether it is on a PMP or a PC.  In a Windows PC, on the C drive, where the OS lives, I always try to leave 1GB or more.  If you ever let it fall below this, you will start noticing slowness, freezing, crashes.  The system does things, like use the memory as a temp buffer when editing files, and a lot of operations need free memory, which the OS uses in the background, without you being aware of it.  Even though data partitions don't have the same heavy use, they also still need free memory to work with.  So to keep things simple, just always leave some extra space in all partitions.   Don't try to use every bit of space, thinking every free MB is wasted space.  Follow this practice, and you will experience less problems, and the system will run smoother.

This is good advice.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #10,481 of 14,084
  Does your DX90 get warm?  I noticed it sometimes gets warm during normal playback.  For some reason it stopped getting warm when I shifted to high gain.  Thanks!

Yes after some time it does get warm. There is always heat dissipation with current flow. The heat will vary and depends upon the demand of the headphones used or load.

When you shifted to high gain you may have decreased the volume to compensate. When you decrease the volume for the higher gain there is less current used. With less current used, the DX90 would be cooler. Otherwise current use is the same in high or other gain positions.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 28, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #10,482 of 14,084

Yes after some time it does get warm. There is always heat dissipation with current flow. The heat will vary and depends upon the demand of the headphones used or load.

Thanks!  Since the player runs cooler on High Gain, would that mean it is also working in a more optimal state at that setting?  Sorry if my questions seem dumb, I'm pretty new to all this. :)  The player is paired with an SE846 by the way. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #10,483 of 14,084
I have three questions that I could really use some help with.  I've got a few pairs of IEMs I want to to PEQ as neutrally as possible but there's a steep learning curve to it.  I only listen to music on my DX90 because my computer's sound chip is on-board schlock and I don't own a desktop rig.  I want to identify resonant peaks in my IEMs and neutralize their signatures via PC software, then copy those PEQ settings into Rockbox and make slight adjustments as necessary.

First question: Is my plan to equalize on one platform and port those settings to a totally different device even feasible?

Second question: Does anyone know whether this program right here is worth using?

Third question: Is there a way to plug my DX90 into my PC and do my PEQing with computer software while listening through the DAP itself?  (My assumption is that theoretically this would bypass my computer's on-board sound chip and control for the aforementioned differences.)

I know it's a lot to ask but please help me out here.  Now that I've played around with PEQ enough to realize how jacked my music has always been, I doubt I'll ever be happy with anything again until I figure this thing out.  :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #10,484 of 14,084

Third question: Is there a way to plug my DX90 into my PC and do my PEQing with computer software while listening through the DAP itself?  (My assumption is that theoretically this would bypass my computer's on-board sound chip and control for the aforementioned differences.)

I know it's a lot to ask but please help me out here.  Now that I've played around with PEQ enough to realize how jacked my music has always been, I doubt I'll ever be happy with anything again until I figure this thing out.  :frowning2:

You can use the DX90 like a DAC connected to a USB port of the PC.

You have to install the drivers and configure the output of the player to use the DX90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back