DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Nov 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #9,346 of 14,084
I cannot hear a difference AT ALL between my DX90 and my iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPod Classic 5th Gen, and computer. I was shocked to find myself unable to tell the difference when my little brother did a blind test on me with Audio Technica ATH-M50 being plugged into a speaker with a headphone out. I was even more shocked to find that when I did the same blind test on him, he was able to tell me the DX90 sounded better without knowing which was which! He is 10 years old and I am playing songs from the HDTracks 2014 Free Samples. I would have him turn around and I would play music with the M50 connected to the cheap speakers, unplug it and then play the same file from my DX90. 9 out of 10 times, he was able to guess which one was the DX90 by telling me which one sounded better. He would describe the better sound coming from the DX90 as clearer and brighter and that the computer audio was a little muffled and dull in comparison to the DX90. In his words, the computer was 95% while the DX90 was the full 100% and that the difference was clear but small. I am not sure whether to be disappointed in the DX90 or worried about my hearing. I was not able to distinguish between the two AT ALL. I am really worried that my hearing is bad because a lot of people here on Head Fi say great things about the DX90 and all the ways that it is better than other players but I can't hear the difference and my little brother can. I need help to figure this out quick because I need to return it before 30 days have passed, and I've had it for a week. Is it me who has a problem? I usually listen to my iPod Nano and iPhone at 3/4 of the way full. Do I have poor hearing? Another big concern for me it that I am really interested in higher end audio, but should I even buy any Hi-Fi equipment at all if I cannot even hear the difference to be able to distinguish between a $400 iBasso DX90 and some $80 Sony speakers that were included with my old desktop that I actually no longer have. I was looking to buy a HiFiMAN HE-500 because as a student I cannot afford the HiFiMAN HE-560. But my inability to hear the difference makes me feel like my interest in audio is wasted.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #9,347 of 14,084
I cannot hear a difference AT ALL between my DX90 and my iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPod Classic 5th Gen, and computer. I was shocked to find myself unable to tell the difference when my little brother did a blind test on me with Audio Technica ATH-M50 being plugged into a speaker with a headphone out. I was even more shocked to find that when I did the same blind test on him, he was able to tell me the DX90 sounded better without knowing which was which! He is 10 years old and I am playing songs from the HDTracks 2014 Free Samples. I would have him turn around and I would play music with the M50 connected to the cheap speakers, unplug it and then play the same file from my DX90. 9 out of 10 times, he was able to guess which one was the DX90 by telling me which one sounded better. He would describe the better sound coming from the DX90 as clearer and brighter and that the computer audio was a little muffled and dull in comparison to the DX90. In his words, the computer was 95% while the DX90 was the full 100% and that the difference was clear but small. I am not sure whether to be disappointed in the DX90 or worried about my hearing. I was not able to distinguish between the two AT ALL. I am really worried that my hearing is bad because a lot of people here on Head Fi say great things about the DX90 and all the ways that it is better than other players but I can't hear the difference and my little brother can. I need help to figure this out quick because I need to return it before 30 days have passed, and I've had it for a week. Is it me who has a problem? I usually listen to my iPod Nano and iPhone at 3/4 of the way full. Do I have poor hearing? Another big concern for me it that I am really interested in higher end audio, but should I even buy any Hi-Fi equipment at all if I cannot even hear the difference to be able to distinguish between a $400 iBasso DX90 and some $80 Sony speakers that were included with my old desktop that I actually no longer have. I was looking to buy a HiFiMAN HE-500 because as a student I cannot afford the HiFiMAN HE-560. But my inability to hear the difference makes me feel like my interest in audio is wasted.

Give it some more time. Your brain may have not adjusted yet to the sound with DX90. Usually a 2 week continuous burn in is all it takes to perceive a difference. Your brother may not be listening too much of the same music as you do so he doesn't have memory/expectations with how the music should sound like.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #9,348 of 14,084

It's highly possible your little bro has better and less degenerated hearing relative to you. However, lose not hope!! Better headphones and speakers are much more reflective of upstream gear than an ATH-M50. There is a problem though if you can't hear differences between headphones or say between warm tube amp and a neutral solid state. If you are afraid, there's always demoing an equipment first.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #9,349 of 14,084
I am torn between the x5 and the dx90. I have already ordered a nice case for the x5 and was about to make the purchase of the DAP today, but I came across the user interface of the dx90 and it looks so much better.

Will probably get the sennheiser hd600 to pair it with. Mainly listen to jazz, ambient, electronica, classic and contemporary folk rock. Two questions:

1. Can the dx90 without external amp drive well the hd600, as the x5 can?
2. Taking into consideration the last firmware updates, people who have used both, which one do you prefer?

Appreciate your help.. very indecisive! 

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #9,350 of 14,084
I am torn between the x5 and the dx90. I have already ordered a nice case for the x5 and was about to make the purchase of the DAP today, but I came across the user interface of the dx90 and it looks so much better.

Will probably get the sennheiser hd600 to pair it with. Mainly listen to jazz, ambient, electronica, classic and contemporary folk rock. Two questions:

1. Can the dx90 without external amp drive well the hd600, as the x5 can?
2. Taking into consideration the last firmware updates, people who have used both, which one do you prefer?

Appreciate your help.. very indecisive! 

Assuming you'll be using this for your PC, the x5 would probably be better for you since it has a fully working USB DAC without a delay. I prefer the DX90 much better, but the 0.5 second delay USB DAC kills it sometimes.

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #9,351 of 14,084
Sorry for being lazy, but Head Fi's search function isn't exactly the best.  Can someone gimme the link to Lurker's latest FW?  Thanks a bunch!

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #9,352 of 14,084
Sorry for being lazy, but Head Fi's search function isn't exactly the best.  Can someone gimme the link to Lurker's latest FW?  Thanks a bunch!

Go to the first post of this thread

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #9,353 of 14,084
I read that the dx90 is very analytical and not so warm as the x5. So, I am wondering what would play better with the dx90 alone, without external amps, the hd600 or the hd650? 
Will the dx90+ hd600 be too analytical /cold or would the warmth of the 650 complement it better?

I listen to jazz, electronica, classic, folk rock, ambient

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #9,354 of 14,084
Assuming you'll be using this for your PC, the x5 would probably be better for you since it has a fully working USB DAC without a delay. I prefer the DX90 much better, but the 0.5 second delay USB DAC kills it sometimes.

No, I would be using it just on PC. I am mainly looking an all around DAP. If it can work as a pc dac it's better. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #9,355 of 14,084
Go to the first post of this thread

Seem to be having trouble with github...anyone got another mirror?? Or google drive/dropbox link or something?  Thanks...

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #9,356 of 14,084
  Had a bad day of dropouts - about 5 or 6 over about 1.5 hours of listening.  For whatever reason I can't track down the previous solution posted - searched this site and have tried google searching as well.  If someone would be so kind as to provide the link to the post or the thread and post # I would greatly appreciate it.

Short of that I did perform a factory reset and rescan after I was done listening today.  Will see if that does anything to help - never had any dropouts before upgrading to 2.1.5.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers,
Tim

Yes I have the same problem with random dropouts, tried different firmwares, memory card brands, formats... The problem does not happen using the internal memory. I know other people with the same problem with their DX90. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #9,357 of 14,084
Maybe I'm being anal, but to me the drop outs are really annoying, but I'm positive mines a plug. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #9,358 of 14,084
I cannot hear a difference AT ALL between my DX90 and my iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPod Classic 5th Gen, and computer. I was shocked to find myself unable to tell the difference when my little brother did a blind test on me with Audio Technica ATH-M50.......

As others have implied, the M50 is not the most resolving headphone.  I'm pretty sure I would have trouble telling the difference as well (in fact I have a ESW9 which is better resolving than the M50 but I would never use it as a source critiquing tool...still not resolving enough) .  Changing to a more resolving headphone of (for example) a Grado 225i resolution level or higher, and it should become much easier to hear the difference...especially as your brain settles into and becomes familiar with the sound of the headphone.

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #9,359 of 14,084
I'm very close to picking up a DX90. It's just a little difficult to read back through so many pages (Lord knows I've tried), so maybe someone in the know can answer a few questions for me:

1. Did FW updates fix the problem with the player cutting off the last few seconds of Flac playback?

2. Can this now be used as as a desktop DAC, plugged in via USB? And...

3. Handle DSD playback through my PC, bypassing my soundcard, using jRiver?

I guess I'm just trying to see where the model now stands as of today's date.

Thanks so much in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back