DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Nov 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #8,791 of 14,084
Sorry to hear that you had problems getting sound. A trick I use to "keep it simple" is when I select the DX90 in the audio properties, I select the TEST option in properties before leaving the window, just to be sure that everything is sounding the way I want. If it sounds in the properties test, then I know that I've mis-configured something else. Likely the program I'm trying to get sound out of.

To confirm for you: I use the DX90 into a USB 3 port, using a micro USB 2 ended cable. I have the headphones into the headphone jack and listen directly. (I'm also pretty sure that I used the line out jack when I tried it with our media center.)
I changed the sampling from CD quality to 24-bit 192 quality sound. If I set it at the maximum, it gets "weird and unstable, including the widows 8.1 equivalent of a legacy Windows BSOD.

Ken N.

In test it goes green and the bar goes up, yet there is no sound, just like in Foobar.
Thank you for replying though.

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #8,792 of 14,084

In test it goes green and the bar goes up, yet there is no sound, just like in Foobar.
Thank you for replying though.

Have you done a start and stop or pause in foobar with the music playing? Mine did that a few times and I stopped foobar and restarted and it worked. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #8,795 of 14,084
  Can you really tell the difference between 24bit and 16bit? Because it is much bigger

It all depends upon how the music was recorded. Much of it, for me no, but for well recorded and well thought out systems involved, yes. Some argue that you can't hear beyond the 16 bits and that most music is really only 12 bits or less but the good stuff stands out even in 16 bit. I like Greg Brown and all his stuff I have is red book. Have some DSD that is very good but expensive and not all DSD is good, no matter who sells it. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #8,797 of 14,084
Rockbox plays all files but downsamples hires to cdres. As I understand it the reason for this is not technical but because the consensus of the rockbox development community is that hires has no benefit over cd but is a hoax

This is helpful - thanks.  I respect their point of view on this, but I got the DX90 to play high res stuff - no need to kick the dead horse around about whether hi res is better or not though...

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #8,798 of 14,084

It all depends upon how the music was recorded. Much of it, for me no, but for well recorded and well thought out systems involved, yes. Some argue that you can't hear beyond the 16 bits and that most music is really only 12 bits or less but the good stuff stands out even in 16 bit. I like Greg Brown and all his stuff I have is red book. Have some DSD that is very good but expensive and not all DSD is good, no matter who sells it. 

I am with you on this - all depends upon the recording....

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #8,800 of 14,084
Nov 4, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #8,802 of 14,084
Any sonic difference from lurker 2.1?

Yep, 2.1.5 sounds more 3D, more expansive sound, it sounds similar to cross feed, you gain a 3D sound stage but you lose some transparency, elasticity and accuracy. The frequency balance seems balanced, but it sounds like the whole frequency range is a bit more splashy and not as precise as Lurker 2.1. I find Lurker 2.1 more transparent, more balanced, more accurate, more elastic sounding, it has less distortions and is just clean. I'm sticking to Lurker 2.1 , but I have a feeling some, or even many people will prefer 2.1.5 as it sounds more fun and interesting, this is a good test to separate the audiophiles from the wannabes 
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #8,805 of 14,084
maybe lurker can work his magic on the new firmware to give us the best of the old and new.

btw the ibasso website now has a download link for the DX90 manual

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20141008/201410080337136009.pdf - unfortunately its the DX50 manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back