DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jul 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #7,081 of 14,084
I'll be demoing DX90 in coming weeks, I think it's the safest approach for me before dropping $400+ AUD on a unit.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #7,082 of 14,084
I'll be demoing DX90 in coming weeks, I think it's the safest approach for me before dropping $400+ AUD on a unit.

You have the dx50 right. You will definitely like the dx90 I hope. I havent heard the dx50 but am sure there are improvements. Upon auditioning both the dx90 and the zx1. I thought the dx90 appealed to me alot more. I dunno why but I thought the zx1 sounded just like my HTC one, thats how they sounded to me with the tracks I had. But it was a brief period of audition so I probably didnt do it good justice.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #7,083 of 14,084
You have the dx50 right. You will definitely like the dx90 I hope. I havent heard the dx50 but am sure there are improvements. Upon auditioning both the dx90 and the zx1. I thought the dx90 appealed to me alot more. I dunno why but I thought the zx1 sounded just like my HTC one, thats how they sounded to me with the tracks I had. But it was a brief period of audition so I probably didnt do it good justice.

Yes, I own DX50, and going from my experience with Sony Walkmans (but not ZX1) don't find the comments about the iBasso being superior hard to believe. DX90 will need to have a much better headphone out than DX50 for me to spend my money. Otherwise I'll just keep amping my DX50.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #7,084 of 14,084
No, they don't. If you manage to connect with adb to the player, you'd see them all active in the list of processes.

Actually, faster start with my changes is mostly exactly due to removed asian fonts. They are 2x20MB!

I'll post a description in a better (than Google-translated by you) English later
wink.gif

Thanks.
smile.gif
 I still wonder if makers are allowed to do this under license. Nothing stopping consumers other than warranty and I bet they're hard to brick with the batch tool.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #7,085 of 14,084
  Based on what I've read here, I've kept my DX90 at 2.0.0 and have been very pleased with the sound (unamped, into a Shure 846) for about a month now.

That is, until I switched back to my old Sansa Fuze (pictured below).  As much as I don't want to admit it, the sound is cleaner and more extended through the the Fuze.   Is it time for me to experiment with the other FW versions?

I would update to the latest FW, I have found it more clearer with greater separation and impact. Well worth a shot, I haven't looked back since upgrading.

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #7,086 of 14,084
  Does burn in changes the dx90 significantly? Because I am already loving how they sound. I just wonder how a sound can be better improved than this. Never tried the Aks lineup yet.

I for one did not believe that burn-in would affect the sound of electronics devices until recently. I always assumed that burn-in does affect electromechanical devices such as speakers. After all, there are no moving parts in electronic devices.

However, I was definitely able to hear a change in sound from my DX90 over time. I have TG334s. They sounded great the first couple days, then the sound seemed to get thin, with a definite reduction of bottom end. It was peaky in the upper mids also. I didn't like the sound at all.

So I plugged my DX90 in and played Track 9 of my XLO burn-in CD for 2 weeks using the supplied burn-in harness. It was tough not to listen to my new DX90. But after 2 weeks of burn-in, I heard a distinct improvement in the sound. The bass had returned and the whole frequency range was smoother.

I don't know why it sounds better but it does. I guess if you think about it, the audio path is routed through thousands of PN junctions, many more than other music players due to additional op amps and the buffers. And every PN junction operates by the physical movement of doping medium within the silicone (I'm an EE).

So my advice is if you don't like the sound of your DX90, try the burn-in even if that is against your religion.

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #7,087 of 14,084
Yes, I own DX50, and going from my experience with Sony Walkmans (but not ZX1) don't find the comments about the iBasso being superior hard to believe. DX90 will need to have a much better headphone out than DX50 for me to spend my money. Otherwise I'll just keep amping my DX50.

I enjoy the DX50, I find it very musical. Having stated that, the amp section of the DX90 will drives more headphones with ease and it complements the dual Sabre allowing them to really get the music to your ears. To me, both the amp section and Dac (stupid auto correction how do you turn it off? sac (yes corrects Dac to sac) are excellent. The DX90, IMO, brings a power tool to listen to and enjoy music and my opinion expressed in my original review hasn't changed. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #7,088 of 14,084

I for one did not believe that burn-in would affect the sound of electronics devices until recently. I always assumed that burn-in does affect electromechanical devices such as speakers. After all, there are no moving parts in electronic devices.

However, I was definitely able to hear a change in sound from my DX90 over time. I have TG334s. They sounded great the first couple days, then the sound seemed to get thin, with a definite reduction of bottom end. It was peaky in the upper mids also. I didn't like the sound at all.

So I plugged my DX90 in and played Track 9 of my XLO burn-in CD for 2 weeks using the supplied burn-in harness. It was tough not to listen to my new DX90. But after 2 weeks of burn-in, I heard a distinct improvement in the sound. The bass had returned and the whole frequency range was smoother.

I don't know why it sounds better but it does. I guess if you think about it, the audio path is routed through thousands of PN junctions, many more than other music players due to additional op amps and the buffers. And every PN junction operates by the physical movement of doping medium within the silicone (I'm an EE).

So my advice is if you don't like the sound of your DX90, try the burn-in even if that is against your religion.

There are often sealed micro relays in electrical devices.  The relay contacts are a major weakness in the signal path, and burn in can alter/burn off the oxide on the relay contacts.    The DX90 has relays.  I had an amp which used many relays, which caused the phono section to be unusable.  I could operate the switch/relay repeatedly to get it t sound less noisy, but gave up at the thought of replacing the relays, or shorting them out

Aside from contacts, there are a myriad of paths through the circuit, and pushing voltage/Current through the solder paths, and the components, can alter the efficiency of signal flow, maybe aligning the atoms, from their random state, when new?  (excuse the speculation)

With electromechanical items, like earphones/speakers, look at the speaker cone surround(usually rubber) and the spider suspension at the voice coil end.  These will change/loosen up when they are used, so burn in does the "loosening" in a concentrated way, without needing to listen for an extended time.  Earphones are miniature speakers, so they have the same parts.

RCA jacks, the recommendation is to reseat them periodically to remove the oxide build up.  Same with speaker connections.  This is just a quick/dirty method, of course.  A good anti-oxide cleaner is the best way, as it also cleans and prevents the build up.

I periodically take a Q Tip and clean every contact that I can think of.  Battery contacts, DAP battery contacts, earphone plug.  I put a little extra on the plug and reseat a couple of times in the DAP, to clean the contacts on the inside.  (with Caig pro-gold/Deoxit, of course)  It makes me feel better that I have clean contacts, and I have first hand experience with how an invisible oxide build up can affect sound.  On an old  battery, the oxide build up can be quite bad, and alter the current flow, or create noise.  Most obviously, it can stop it from working, when in an extreme state.

Bottom line is that there are many ways that SQ can be altered.  Keep an open mind, and try burn in.  If it does nothing, you have not lost anything.  And maybe it will make an improvement?  And trust your ears.  After all, you are the one who decides whether the SQ is better, not a measurement machine.   Or somebody else's opinion. 

Sherlock Holmes said that after you eliminate the obvious, what remains must be true, no matter how unbelievable. (or something like that!)  And the X Files said that "the truth shall set you free"...........

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #7,089 of 14,084
Most relays are sealed in an inert gas so oxidation would be eliminated. It would be possible for one to lose the seal or maybe it never had one.  Having looked at the board, iBasso used relays from Japan and I would imagine, good ones. 

I have used contact enhancers, starting with Tweak years ago. Tweak would build up and harden, what a horrible item it was. On other, most people use too much as all you need is a thin film and nothing more, even a wipe on and wipe off is better than leaving too much on. I also find that these have a limited life, of a week or so. I prefer to use alcohol and clean the contact points and go from there. I have even used very expensive micro silver enhancer. This to my ear, did nothing and did not improve the signal path. Caig for batteries does show an improvement and works over time but for some reason, in my experience, less so in audio, again, over time. This is based on many years of experimentation, reading and long term use. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #7,090 of 14,084
Good contact is especially critical for low voltage signals such as the DX90 HO. On the flightline we can often clear a fault by simply disconnecting and reconnection all the connectors in the relevent signal path.

Jamato you wrote "Caig for batteries..." is this a misspelling, it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what you said.

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #7,091 of 14,084
Good contact is especially critical for low voltage signals such as the DX90 HO. On the flightline we can often clear a fault by simply disconnecting and reconnection all the connectors in the relevent signal path.

Jamato you wrote "Caig for batteries..." is this a misspelling, it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what you said.

http://www.caig.com

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #7,092 of 14,084

I am not sure what you mean. Caig is often used on batteries to improve conduction at the contact points. Much as I was discussing improvement or not, in the audio system, of contact points that can be accessed. What is the misspelling? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back