DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jun 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #6,181 of 14,084
  It sounds like you are trying to pitch something, and I don't buy it.  

Anyhow, the impedance affect the current supplied to the circuits do to the impedance inside the battery.  As the battery starts to degrade, impedance rises, and thus provide less voltage because of the voltage drop of the internal resistance.  Circuit have something called a regulator that keeps the DC level in the level that the circuits need, if it wasn't stable those ICs would be screwed up, so have some faith the regulator is doing it's job keeping the DC level stable.  At a certain voltage level, the regular cannot do it's job, and time for a new battery.  Possibly batteries have an IC inside that kills it if it cannot provide enough for the regulator.

You can take or leave what I say. Trying to pitch something? Are you kidding? Start from the ground up with a good power supply, which in the case of a battery, start with the battery and go from there. I don't care if you buy it or not, I am not selling anything. I have built amps and preamps and Woo Audio uses my design for the pseudo dual power supply because it works. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #6,182 of 14,084
Has the song dropout/cutout bug been fixed? I personally am bewildered that anyone would put up with that. It's nice that clinically the sound quality is great, but the point being the music and the overall listening experience.

My understanding is that once you fill up a storage card a good amount, after adding new music to the card(s) the player will take almost 10mins to scan everything. Any others have observations in this regard?
I'm also having a hard time understanding this battery upgrade. And I think a true test would be with two devices, same audio files, different batteries AB'd directly. Or, ask a friend to switch batteries and not tell you which battery is in there and then make an assessment. Placebo/expectations/internet influence can do a lot I believe.

The software/interface/browsing is also important, in addition to great sound quality, to users like myself and not sure if the DX90 is ready. Especially when you have large libraries and can put dual 128GB cards on the device. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #6,183 of 14,084
Has the song dropout/cutout bug been fixed? I personally am bewildered that anyone would put up with that. It's nice that clinically the sound quality is great, but the point being the music and the overall listening experience.

My understanding is that once you fill up a storage card a good amount, after adding new music to the card(s) the player will take almost 10mins to scan everything. Any others have observations in this regard?

I'm also having a hard time understanding this battery upgrade. And I think a true test would be with two devices, same audio files, different batteries AB'd directly. Or, ask a friend to switch batteries and not tell you which battery is in there and then make an assessment. Placebo/expectations/internet influence can do a lot I believe.

The software/interface/browsing is also important, in addition to great sound quality, to users like myself and not sure if the DX90 is ready. Especially when you have large libraries and can put dual 128GB cards on the device. 

The cut at the end is not totally resolved (still cuts 1 second at the end) but it does not get in the way of enjoying the music. Most of the tracks I have fades out or have a few seconds of silent passage at the end so it's not a problem most of the time.

it only gets tricky if you listen to an album with absolutely no gaps between tracks.

For browsing a huge collection a folder view is all you need. Create a folder tree structure most convenient for you. You don't need to worry about scanning if you only browse by folder view.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #6,184 of 14,084
 And I think a true test would be with two devices, same audio files, different batteries AB'd directly. Or, ask a friend to switch batteries and not tell you which battery is in there and then make an assessment. Placebo/expectations/internet influence can do a lot I believe.  

That would seem to be the easiest way. I have no idea if there is anything to it or not. Some say they hear a distinct difference and some not. I guess just enjoy the music and whatever works for each person is what works. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #6,185 of 14,084
Excuse me, I just joined this forum, there are things I want to ask 
sorry if my language strange, I come from Indonesia 
directly to the question 
Sony Walkman now issued a new series and it seemed interesting 
when compared DX 90 VS NW F887, Which is Better? 
To voice gave the Detail, Bass Good, clear and wide 
I confused to choose which one is better 
Now I Have a V-moda Headphones and UE 200 XS VM and I use the headphones directly to Samsung Galaxy S4 mine without any amp 
According to You Which One is Better 
V MODA S4 XS + + AMP (But I do not know the amp what is suitable) 
V Moda XS + DX 90 + AMP (But I do not know the amp what is suitable) 
V Moda XS + F887 + SONY PHA 1 
I Want The sound that I mentioned earlier, if can headphones and dap that can provide good sound without having to use the amp again 
And do not spend excessive money

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #6,186 of 14,084

Anyhow, the impedance affect the current supplied to the circuits do to the impedance inside the battery.  As the battery starts to degrade, impedance rises, and thus provide less voltage because of the voltage drop of the internal resistance.  Circuit have something called a regulator that keeps the DC level in the level that the circuits need, if it wasn't stable those ICs would be screwed up, so have some faith the regulator is doing it's job keeping the DC level stable.  At a certain voltage level, the regular cannot do it's job, and time for a new battery.  Possibly batteries have an IC inside that kills it if it cannot provide enough for the regulator.

As mistakenly suggested by another poster, the output impedance doesn't change with lower battery impedance but damping factor and therefore control of the device being driven does. It's not about voltage. It's that the supply becomes stiffer regardless of what voltage it's running at. I don't know what iBasso is doing with their supply but generally, DAPs do vary in voltage as used and simply turn off when the voltage reaches a low enough level to affect performance. That has no effect on the battery's impedance. At best, they may use a zener in spots where a constant reduced voltage is required. Since these daps are <4V devices, there isn't enough V swing to regulate down without first using V multipliers like charge pumps etc. They have their own sets of issues. Regulators need a reserve V cushion to be able to draw from to maintain voltage.

Why the insult? Jamato is experimenting with something that would be true for any DAP and he hasn't made any claims about how it sounds. Just explaining why it may be worth a try.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #6,188 of 14,084
As mistakenly suggested by another poster, the output impedance doesn't change with lower battery impedance but damping factor and therefore control of the device being driven does. It's not about voltage. It's that the supply becomes stiffer regardless of what voltage it's running at. I don't know what iBasso is doing with their supply but generally, DAPs do vary in voltage as used and simply turn off when the voltage reaches a low enough level to affect performance. That has no effect on the battery's impedance. At best, they may use a zener in spots where a constant reduced voltage is required. Since these daps are <4V devices, there isn't enough V swing to regulate down without first using V multipliers like charge pumps etc. They have their own sets of issues. Regulators need a reserve V cushion to be able to draw from to maintain voltage.

Why the insult? Jamato is experimenting with something that would be true for any DAP and he hasn't made any claims about how it sounds. Just explaining why it may be worth a try.

SilverEars seem to specilize in and thrive on insulting people

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #6,190 of 14,084
Placed an order for a dx90 on Sunday with Global Central out of Hong Kong for $388.93, with free shipping, and received it today (Wednesday).  Came fully charged, don't know which firmware is installed, but the UI is snappy, I'll check later...listening to it now, and am fully pleased with the improvement over my Cowon J3, which I've been using for several years.  My main headphones are a pair of UE 10's (custom formed), which I purchased maybe in 2007.  I've been waiting for the right combination of qualities, with a premium on portability. and this is a good player for my needs.  Tried the Tera Player, but it wasn't an improvement with my headphones (low impedance), even with a Pico Slim amp. 

Overall, my initial impression is that I'm well pleased with the player.  I've got a micro sd coming, along with a couple extra batteries and a charger I found on Amazon (Anker 2200 mAh) to give me more options (so I don't have to worry about my battery dying).

Thanks for all the helpful information on this thread, and whoever pointed out Global Central.

Nathan

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #6,191 of 14,084
If this whole battery thing is the same as the filter roll off (i am still not hearing any difference),we should enter the Guinness book for most batteries bought out of stupidity:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #6,192 of 14,084
If this whole battery thing is the same as the filter roll off (i am still not hearing any difference),we should enter the Guinness book for most batteries bought out of stupidity:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Wait a minute, we might be onto something here 
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #6,193 of 14,084

SilverEars, I don't know whether you realise that you are often gratuitously offensive and nasty? If you disagree with someone, can you not just politely say you disagree, perhaps explain why and then just let the point go? None of us here are thick, or inordinately so at any rate. We honestly don't need you to repeat your views ad nauseam. The benefit of the search mechanism is that once a point is made, a search will unearth it - should someone wish to benefit from someone else's knowledge.

For myself, when I see someone rehashing a point time and time again and again and again etc. it sets alarm bells ringing. It's the old "the lady doth protest too much methinks" thing.

peace,

depaor

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #6,194 of 14,084

LOL, well put me at the top of list. I don't want to admit to how many S3 batteries I have and I don't own the phone! And 3 more OEM?, coming today. I have an excuse, I am in the bush of Alaska and have started naming my batteries. lol 

edit: I received the 3 OEM and they do "look" right for OEM. Charging them now, yes I also have 3 chargers. Insanity. Well I am curious, is there any sound difference with a different initial power supply battery. Who knows. I don't think there will be a difference so I am already biased against but hey, will attempt to tell if it is better or worse. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #6,195 of 14,084
Same here 3 oem samsung batteries and 1 samsung extra battery kit which includes a charger and a battery ( best bang for the buck) the charger is super quick.

In india the accessories are dirt cheap. Batteries costed me just over $8 per piece.
And the kit around $20

And yes they are genuine and the difference in sq is 100 X worth the amount spent.

You can try amazon.in or ebay.in for the purchase.

I have the GR07, mdr-1r, mdr-nc100d, ath-anc7b and ordered the VC1000.
How are the ue 900 iems. Do they stack well with the DX90. Or the above combo is better then the ue 900

Cheers !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back