DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 28, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #5,761 of 14,084
  I received my DX90 and have had a little listen. So far, it sounds pretty good but - not sure that it's massively better than my DX50 so far (this is with my Momentums and UE900s). So, I'm thinking, perhaps the need to burn-in is real.

So I tried to shuffle the whole contents of my SD card (which I just moved over from my DX50 without hassle) but I can't seem to do it? When I select All music, it only shows albums that I've already played? Just 4 or 5 so far..

I'm not sure if this is a result of still being on the original FW (I wanted to at least give it a try) or because I don't understand how the All music / genre / artist etc works, as I've only ever used the directory structure to date??

Any ideas please? I do hope that with some burn-in and with the new FW, I'll be more impressed... 
confused_face_2.gif

With burn-in the DX90 does get a lot better (IMHO, of course)…

To shuffle all your music: hit lower left corner ("My Music"), then All Music, then if you touch the "All music" caption on the top center (the one with the orange down arrow), a list of options to order the database by appears. I personally touch on Artist (this has the effect of ordering the database by artist if you later on select the Now Playing option, so that you may easily select a different song by the same artist while still remaining in shuffle everything mode), then hit anything to start shuffling.

To check if everything is in the all music tab, either try ordering by different options (title, added, album etc), or browse by album/artist on the "my music menu". What you see is what is IN the database… If you realize that you do NOT have everything in the database, probably the sd card was not scanned completely - either eject and reinsert, and then select "scan card" rather than "browse", or hit "settings=>advanced=>rescan library". If this does not work, delete the extra files on the sd card (the audio_data folder, or whatever this is called - I'm going from memory), then redo the same.

And this is exactly the same on the DX50, so I do hope I'm not boring you
smile.gif

May 28, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #5,762 of 14,084
^^^^ Oh, and when I said it gets better after burn-in, I meant after A LOT of burn-in 
biggrin.gif
 …. like, 400 hours
wink.gif
 …. I personally liked the DX90 very very much as soon as I tried it, hearing a lot of difference (in a positive way) compared to the DX50, then after a few hours or so it got worse (IMO, to my ears, etc.), and got a lot better AFTER a very long period of burn-in.

May 28, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #5,765 of 14,084
Thank you, that worked. I just needed to rescan the card and it seems to be working OK now.

re. the SQ, I think it's improving already (might just be me) but after 24hrs or so of burn in, I listened to Clapton / Mayall and it sounded fantastic :)

May 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #5,766 of 14,084
Why custom(untouched) eq settings are so much quiter(sq talk aside) than original sound with eq off? Does it means that default sound is actually an overblown eq set-up set?

Cos it seems like when all sliders are in the middle it sounds better...

May 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #5,767 of 14,084
Why custom(untouched) eq settings are so much quiter(sq talk aside) than original sound with eq off? Does it means that default sound is actually an overblown eq set-up set?

Cos it seems like when all sliders are in the middle it sounds better...

When you enable eq the level is dropped 6dB across all frequencies to ensure that you cant overdrive the unit when you start using eq as the max you can add is 6dB

May 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #5,768 of 14,084
I have been a little busy lately but here is an update:
Received my DX90 last week. Did almost 100 hours of run-in and the sound is getting a little better (IMO).

I can confirm that Eglobalcentral is legit (afaik).
http://www.eglobalcentral.com/ibasso-dx90-dual-es9018k2m-dacs-portable-digital-audio-player.html

Paid $388 ($386 now, not that I am going to ask for a refund on the difference...
rolleyes.gif
) and got free UPS shipping! Arrived from Hong Kong in 4 days... I am impressed.

What gain setting do you use with the DX90/W40? I use mid for most songs and high for hard rock type.

May 29, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #5,769 of 14,084
Checking in as a new DX90 owner.  I received it yesterday and have only listened a few hours,  but I'm impressed with the detail.  Very satisfied with playback through IE800 and SE846.

Just for giggles, I tried playing into my Fostex TH900.  Sounded ok, but frankly the TH900s sound better through a true desktop headphone amp, and the DX90 sounds better into a quality IEM.  IMHO.   YMMV

I've only used the original firmware... I want to get a firm feel for it before I entertain upgrading.

May 29, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #5,770 of 14,084
New DX90 owner checking in as well...
biggrin.gif
 Received the DAP on Firmware ver 2.0 and I could see why people love the staging and spaciousness of the sound.  Upgraded to ver 2.05 and indeed its amazing how that changed the sound .  I also happen to have an X3, so maybe there'd be a comparison review soon 
wink.gif

May 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5,771 of 14,084
  Checking in as a new DX90 owner.  I received it yesterday and have only listened a few hours,  but I'm impressed with the detail.  Very satisfied with playback through IE800 and SE846.

Just for giggles, I tried playing into my Fostex TH900.  Sounded ok, but frankly the TH900s sound better through a true desktop headphone amp, and the DX90 sounds better into a quality IEM.  IMHO.   YMMV

I've only used the original firmware... I want to get a firm feel for it before I entertain upgrading.

Give the DX90 more time. I listen all the time with the TH900 and the DX90. 

May 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #5,772 of 14,084
Hi. I just wanted to verify that the burn-in cable is the short cable that plugs into the headphone out, and the other side ends in a small block. You leave it plugged into the ho with the dx90 playing. Also, does anybody know if it needs to be music playing, or any voice file, as in people speaking, would also burn-in the player?

May 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #5,774 of 14,084
Hi. I just wanted to verify that the burn-in cable is the short cable that plugs into the headphone out, and the other side ends in a small block. You leave it plugged into the ho with the dx90 playing. Also, does anybody know if it needs to be music playing, or any voice file, as in people speaking, would also burn-in the player?

The wider frequency range the better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back