DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 6, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #4,607 of 14,084
So the dx90 is definitely much better than dx50, including the amp section.

what is the best way to burn in the dx90?

thanks all

Any way you like it as long as it is playing music with a load (burn-in cable or phone). Don't worry too much on burn in. You can just listen to it out of the box and just let it playing for as long as you want.

May 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #4,608 of 14,084
Depends somewhat upon personal preference and the tracks themselves. I would say it does not universally drive 880/600s well enough by itself. However it may be perfectly fine for what you wish to use it for.

I submitted to this claim and ordered an EPH-O2 amp for my DT880 600

I guess I will be learning that later in the week 
biggrin.gif

ps. As Dx90 burn in, I can say I agree with the progressive improvement in music. I think I have hit the 40-50hr mark

May 6, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #4,609 of 14,084
Sucker!

:wink:

I've only ever heard the O2 extremely briefly, and never with 880s. But it seems to have a huge following here. I hope it sounds great.

Truthfully, the 880/600s are very good headphones, but it's hard to make a case for them as great portable cans. However, if you can find a second-hand Valhalla to use with them as a desktop/office rig, you get fantastic sound for relatively little investment.

To the DX90's credit, the PB2 (single ended) doesn't drive the 880s any better than the DX90 by itself.

May 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #4,610 of 14,084
Sucker!

wink.gif

I've only ever heard the O2 extremely briefly, and never with 880s. But it seems to have a huge following here. I hope it sounds great.

Truthfully, the 880/600s are very good headphones, but it's hard to make a case for them as great portable cans. However, if you can find a second-hand Valhalla to use with them as a desktop/office rig, you get fantastic sound for relatively little investment.

To the DX90's credit, the PB2 (single ended) doesn't drive the 880s any better than the DX90 by itself.

The DT880 600 is mainly for home use yes. I wouldn't carry it for portable use due to its semi-open design and I have my K545 and IEM to use.

To be honest, I was really tempted to get one of those tube amps ie. Little Dot MKII/Schiit Valhalla which you suggested. But the price/performance ratio made me hesitate.
I am going to give the EPH-O2 a try first... Does anyone know if Epiphany Acoustics do returns?

If the O2 doesnt do my ears justice, I will probably go into Little Dot MKII... I already know if I get a tube amp, I will regret getting it for making my wallet really really sad... 
rolleyes.gif

May 6, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #4,611 of 14,084

The DT880 600 is mainly for home use yes. I wouldn't carry it for portable use due to its semi-open design and I have my K545 and IEM to use.

To be honest, I was really tempted to get one of those tube amps ie. Little Dot MKII/Schiit Valhalla which you suggested. But the price/performance ratio made me hesitate.
I am going to give the EPH-O2 a try first... Does anyone know if Epiphany Acoustics do returns?

If the O2 doesnt do my ears justice, I will probably go into Little Dot MKII... I already know if I get a tube amp, I will regret getting it for making my wallet really really sad... 
rolleyes.gif

If available you can ask them to change the gain to 1x and 4x so you can maximize it for DX90 without worrying about clipping on high gain. Then use a wall adapter so you allow O2 to deliver the max power to your DT880.

May 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,613 of 14,084
1x for your iems 4x for your headphones. O2 using a wall adapter can put out 7vrms max (4.5Vrms on battery power). DX90's LO is 1.7 Vrms. 7 / 1.7 is approximately 4 so 4x is the max gain you can set O2 for DX90. 

By default O2 has 2.5x and 6.5x gain settings. If you need the high gain, O2 will distort/clip the signal past 4x and you limit how much the volume pot can travel. Eliminate the unwanted gain so you can make full use of the volume pot at high gain without worrying about clipping.

May 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #4,614 of 14,084
  1x for your iems 4x for your headphones. O2 using a wall adapter can put out 7vrms max (4.5Vrms on battery power). DX90's LO is 1.7 Vrms. 7 / 1.7 is approximately 4 so 4x is the max gain you can set O2 for DX90. 

By default O2 has 2.5x and 6.5x gain settings. If you need the high gain, O2 will distort/clip the signal past 4x and you limit how much the volume pot can travel. Eliminate the unwanted gain so you can make full use of the volume pot at high gain without worrying about clipping.

Thank you mate :)

I have sent the request to Oliver at Epiphany Acoustics before your explanation just because how much I trust the experts on here 
biggrin.gif

I hope they can implement that

EDIT: ps. I only just noticed that the topic title mis-spelt information as "imforation" just now.. after months of being involved this the thread... not like it matters though 
tongue.gif

May 6, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4,615 of 14,084
So, I read through the past 10 pages of this thread and didn't see this asked so here goes. Do we have any recent word about when pass through DAC support will be added to the DX90 (via USB)?

Wait, can it do that right now? I can't say I have actually hooked up my DX90 via USB to my computer yet, but would that work?

May 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #4,620 of 14,084

Users who are viewing this thread

Back