DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,576 of 14,084
But if echoic storage of received sound is only 3-4 seconds how can one hope to recall what something sounded like after 14 days? It's not skepticism it's common or garden sense. Your mind is making this stuff up, it's not like you can actually accurately summon a sense of what the bass sounded like on a song you played hundreds of hours ago. And if you expect there to be a difference then confirmation bias will lead you right up that garden path.

If you could somehow measure how much your dap changes and show me the measurements in a way that is linked to sonic change then that's a different matter.

May 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #4,577 of 14,084
Well, I need to eat my own words - after 200 hours of burn in I previously said I didnt hear a lot of difference...until I tried my 'go to headphones' FYI DT 880's(i was using a pair of IEM's i dont often use) 

Anyway I am seriously impressed at the difference in sound quality

[For those doubting thomas's, i work with audio every day so it may be my hearing is a little more trained and sensitive? Im not saying my ears are better than anyone elses or that my experience is more qualified but...:)]

Anyway, overall after 200 hours of burn in the sound is much more 'alive' dynamic, punchy and vibrant. By this I mean it seems to delivar a lot more of that excited live feel to the audio which really is a mark of a superb & qualified piece of equipment / headphone.
The bass feels more solid and has filled out more
The trebles i didnt notice so much which means they sit perfectly 
One thing that surprised me a lot was the increase in instrument separation - you can effortlessly focus in on any instrument in the music and fully enjoy it alone whilst the rest of the music continues. For example listening to the hit and FULL decay of a cymbol hit in the midst of a rock song is an absolute audiophile delight!
Within this separation It also feels that each instrument is [somehow] raised up in the mix and is much more polished and warm - hard to explain but I got the image of each part of the audio as like a bevelled pillar of very shiny chrome (sorry but i work with audio in a very visual way!)
One big thing that i intially was a little worried about was that a lot of the vocals sounded repressed into the background but this is no longer the case after the 200 hour burn in
Anyway, I am very impressed with the differences I am hearing after the burn in thus far.
Basically I really can't fault the player...It just sounds SO so good! :D

May 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #4,578 of 14,084
But if echoic storage of received sound is only 3-4 seconds how can one hope to recall what something sounded like after 14 days? It's not skepticism it's common or garden sense. Your mind is making this stuff up, it's not like you can actually accurately summon a sense of what the bass sounded like on a song you played hundreds of hours ago. And if you expect there to be a difference then confirmation bias will lead you right up that garden path.

If you could somehow measure how much your dap changes and show me the measurements in a way that is linked to sonic change then that's a different matter.

you make a good point and I do feel for you in your frustrations here. In that the mind is a continuum ie: is constantly changing then ones perception will be different every time, that's true BUT that does not mean the mind in incapable of remembering change.
If you buy an old car and the engine sounds rough and you take it to a garage who fix's it and tunes it to perfection then of course you will hear and feel the difference.
Also the degree that one can recall specifics [of anything] depends on ones own powers of concentration & memory - both of which can be improved to extraordinary levels through training
your mind 'informs' you of what your ear conciounouss percieves. If after 100 hours of burn in your mind perceives a difference in bass then that is what your mind is telling you, presumably based on memory.
many people say thing like "its made up" or "its in the mind" - Well Everything is expereinced by the mind so that argument holds no water and in fact in completely nonsensical! :D
IF someone reports a change in quality through a burn in then for that person the expereince is true for them - The fact that another person does not hear the same thing proves nothing.
Maybe we should be happy for the person who is enjoying an improvment in their dap?
There are so many different elements that come together when listening to music - the phones / quality of recording / bit/sample rates/ 'mood' whilst listening  /quality of concentration / the list goes on However I have never heard someone say the qualitys that come after a burn in have reverted to what they were pre-burn in!
Anyway, all of this is neither here nor there - End of the day > whatever tickles your pickle 

May 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #4,579 of 14,084
Can anybody with a DX90 and HD600's help me please? I'm about to get myself a HD600 to use with my DX90 and it will be my first full sized can. I have a Hifiman RE-272 which I believe the DX90 will drive more than well enough but with the HD600's it might be a different story. I understand that volume alone isn't what makes a headphone sound well but it's also (maybe more) about control of the driver. When reading this thread I read a lot of different opinions regarding the pairing of a DX90 and HD600's. Can someone compare the quality straight from the DX90 to something like a desktop amp when driving the HD600's (or any other more difficult to drive cans)? I intend on using the HD600 at home so pairing the DX90 to a desktop amp wouldn't be a big deal but it would be nice if the DX90 would be able to drive them to a more than acceptable level. So please, share your thoughts. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #4,580 of 14,084
  The DSD files are converted by the DX90 to 24/88 cpm and output this on coax. I have used the dX90 with the Hugo and it works great. 

Just a headsup on DSD on the DX90, it can play back dsf files on the player by downsampling to 24/88.2 pcm.  However if you have a suitable external dac like the Chord Hugo then the DX90 can act as a transport via coax for DSD files.  To do this you convert the DSD files to DSD over PCM (DoP) before transferring them to the DX90.  You won't be able to listen to them from the HO but they can be outputted via coax to an external dac that can natively decode DSD.

To convert the files see this link:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119364.0

Hope this helps those folks looking to enjoy native DSD.

May 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #4,581 of 14,084
  Just a headsup on DSD on the DX90, it can play back dsf files on the player by downsampling to 24/88.2 pcm.  However if you have a suitable external dac like the Chord Hugo then the DX90 can act as a transport via coax for DSD files.  To do this you convert the DSD files to DSD over PCM (DoP) before transferring them to the DX90.  You won't be able to listen to them from the HO but they can be outputted via coax to an external dac that can natively decode DSD.

To convert the files see this link:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119364.0

Hope this helps those folks looking to enjoy native DSD.

ohh, sounds good. Can the dx100 do this too? Or only dx90?

May 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4,582 of 14,084

ohh, sounds good. Can the dx100 do this too? Or only dx90?

The DX100 cannot play back DSD files at all.  Never tried using DoP from coax.  I would presume it wouldn't work since it is such a slow unit.  Even on the DX90 I experienced frequent skipping of less than 1 sec when playing back DoP.  I assumed either the DX90 was cpu overloaded or my microsd card was too slow.  The DX90 would have a slow UI when using dsf on the HO or when using DoP from coax.  It would lag perhaps up to 10 secs when switching tracks etc.
It maybe a bug so I have reported it to iBasso but no response yet.

May 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #4,583 of 14,084

I get where you are coming from. I also like to see measurements as much as you do. But this is not something I can do myself with my limited resources. I am aware of the expectation bias and the brain burning in and adjusting to what you are hearing. But how do you know what is going to change if you have no clue how it is suppose to change? If this is all a manifestation of expectation bias, then any device I listen to should sound the same after a given length of time because that's what I'm expecting it to sound like. Doesn't it?

You listen to the same collection of music and you become familiar how they sound like (although not the most accurate memory storage) so any slight change may be noticeable even on a casual listening. 

Unless it's proven, you can't also dismiss something like this because it's not logical to you.

May 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #4,584 of 14,084
I think I have posted somewhere I got to compare a burned in dx90(100hrs) with a brand new set out of the box. The burned in unit sound more refined and controlled.the sound is not that bright when out of the box.

May 5, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #4,585 of 14,084

Actually I just tried formatting my microsd card, reloaded all my songs and formatted the internal memory of my DX90. However, I am still having the same issue where it doesn't show all my songs, artists and albums.  I noticed my DX90 is not scanning fully because it will scan for about 1-2 minutes and reboot automatically.  

Well I finally solve my issue. I had to do a hard reset by holding the power button for 7 seconds than it will scan my 35gb of music in about 20-30 minutes

May 5, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #4,587 of 14,084
May 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #4,589 of 14,084

Im not a real audiophile geek but coming from an ipod classic and just demoed the dx90 for about 2 tracks, i can clearly say the dx90 whooped the ipc's a**! Im really familiar with the tracks I demoed and as playing in a band, I can really say that the dx90 is performing on its top notch especially on the clearly clean details and layering. Even demoed it side by side with the HM-901, and I can say the dx90 is not by far of the 901.

Just my thoughts though...

May 5, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #4,590 of 14,084
Im not a real audiophile geek but coming from an ipod classic and just demoed the dx90 for about 2 tracks, i can clearly say the dx90 whooped the ipc's a**! Im really familiar with the tracks I demoed and as playing in a band, I can really say that the dx90 is performing on its top notch especially on the clearly clean details and layering. Even demoed it side by side with the HM-901, and I can say the dx90 is not by far of the 901.

Just my thoughts though...

Hey, hey! Not all audiophiles are geeks!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back