DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3,826 of 14,084

....which is easy to make from any USB cable by simply taping over just the middle contacts leaving only the outside (left & right) contacts exposed.  Presto, only voltage (+/-5V) will be transfered, no signal data.

HA.  
eek.gif
  Ingenious.  Never thought about doing that with cables to bypass the computer recognition, although you can probably just use a walwart and it will be faster to charge since current drawl would be much greater than .5A USB standard.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3,828 of 14,084
The thing that is bothersome to me is that, you cannot say if something has a certain feature unless it already does.  How do they know the drivers will make it functional?  Did they ever have a prototype working as a standalone USB source?  

If you say drivers to get it work, how do they know they only need the drivers for it to work?  I'm uneasy about this.

I'm assuming they are working on the drivers and not sure if that feature would work.

Also, I'm curious how the LO works.

Well to be fair, at no point has iBasso officially annunced usb dac functionality and it is not mentioned on their web site. Only mentioning is in emails to individuals asking.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #3,830 of 14,084
  ....you can probably just use a walwart and it will be faster to charge since current drawl would be much greater than .5A USB standard.

Faster yes, but the best charger for battery longevity is probably a 'gentler, kinder' 0.5A (=500mA) charger....slower but less wear and tear electrically on the battery so it will last much longer than a faster 1A or 2A (yikes) charger.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #3,832 of 14,084
I think you can get a dx90 from Amazon.com right now since it is out of stock on ibasso's official website. And I find it cheaper with a total price of 429$ and free shipping(maybe within USA only). There are still 19 items left in stock when I checked.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #3,833 of 14,084
Quote:
Well to be fair, at no point has iBasso officially announced usb dac functionality and it is not mentioned on their web site. Only mentioning is in emails to individuals asking.

Very true but that's such a staple item on modern daps nowadays that it should have not been even asked but just provided in their specs. What they should be doing, like Fiio, be somewhat more transparent and come forward to discuss what they are expecting to release or upgrade. It always has to be indirectly done that we get information, as if there is a lack of commitment or a fear we are going to hang them to their words. Well we will. 
biggrin.gif
 I think it makes you more credible if you just come forward, that also commands respect.

The thing that is bothersome to me is that, you cannot say if something has a certain feature unless it already does.  How do they know the drivers will make it functional?  Did they ever have a prototype working as a standalone USB source?  

If you say drivers to get it work, how do they know they only need the drivers for it to work?  I'm uneasy about this.

I'm assuming they are working on the drivers and not sure if that feature would work.

Also, I'm curious how the LO works.

They finally answered my questions, here is their plan:

(1) Working on the Windows USB DAC drivers, which they mentioned earlier however they've added that they will release the 32-bit version initially in about 10 days. The 64-bit version will require an additional step; to get the Microsoft digital signature.
(Starting with 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and later versions of Windows, driver code signing policy requires that all driver code have a digital signature). So that's good news, it's not an inability to implement the driver but one of compliance.

(2) Mac OS compatibility: They are not familiar with the MAC OS interface requirements, so they are not sure if they can develop the interface for it. That means right now it's in their plate to investigate. I would be very surprised if they can come up with  an answer within few weeks, not to mention a workable update. If they'll implement like other vendors, it would most likely be as a firmware change versus a driver. All of the the ones I tried so far had no special driver requirements for the Mac OS and were working off the player USB connection.

According to others' implementations, I am expecting to see the following behaviors:
- Driver installation on Windows (most likely an msi file)
- To work in all resolutions offered from their specs
- Will be switchable from their Settings/USB Settings menu, when USB DAC is selected then it will act as a USB DAC else storage.

Let's watch its progress.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3,834 of 14,084
The resolutions do work. It plays up to 24/192 for me as well as playing DSD, which it changes to pcm, 24/88. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #3,835 of 14,084
Hi, I read through the thread but didn't see the answer for this really dumb question. How do I use the burn-in cable? I mean, what is the point? To burn in my DX90 i just play music on it, correct? Why would I need any cable for doing that? 

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,836 of 14,084
  Hi, I read through the thread but didn't see the answer for this really dumb question. How do I use the burn-in cable? I mean, what is the point? To burn in my DX90 i just play music on it, correct? Why would I need any cable for doing that? 

to quickly reach the recommended 300hrs of burning time ... but yeah, it works if you listen music during that time

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,837 of 14,084
You can plug your phones in and listen or not or use the resistive network to do the same thing. Nice addition frankly, to have the resistor, which mean you don't have sound leaking when not using headphones, if that sound would bother someone, which in my case it does the adapter is great. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #3,840 of 14,084
  Oh durr, now I get it. I told you it was a stupid question! So it allows me to play the DX90 without any actual sound being produced. Makes sense. I feel dumb. :)

Not stupid, an understandable question. We are all each other's teach. Enjoy the music. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back