DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2,852 of 14,084
Very long thread. Maybe Jamato should make a new thread for the reviews/impressions.

Jamato has already added the Post your impressions in the thread title so unless he is willing to just keep it at the initial release and leave the reviews/impressions for another thread, we are stuck with it. I am willing to start a new one unfortunately it can only be done by a current DX90 owner and there are not that many right now.

@jamato8 the ball is in your court.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,853 of 14,084
  I've settled on the 1678 opamps with HA5002 buffers. Gives me absolutely superb clarity, very finely etched details and SA-LAMMING bass! 
biggrin.gif

Xin started using the 5002 and made up special boards for them as the pin out is different. It was his preference for a buffer but they do use more current. Very transparent I would agree and great bass. 

Ron sent me the exact same combo a couple of years ago for the PB2 and I completely concur. Super clear details. Never had the urge to change to anything else.

Currently trying to talk myself out of a pair of Nobles with a balanced cable to use with it.

Sometimes there is no need to change, when everything is before you and the grass is as green as it gets. 

Amps used with the Dx90 just sound all the better. You can get a monster system in portable now. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,854 of 14,084
No problem, just use your words so far it's good no complain. I sent iBasso an email about the DAC functionality so if there is any software piece needed they'll let me know.

Too bad you don't have a Mac, it does not need a driver it should work right away, at least the X5 did.

Now on your PC you can't see it in the list of inputs from the sound control panel?
Can't be boat
biggrin.gif

Good luck
wink.gif
Beta pig team member
beerchug.gif

Thank you! :)

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2,857 of 14,084
  Now this is one interesting conversation I am hoping I won't have to make: What's the best amp to be used with the DX90. Hopefully the HO amp stage is good enough so I won't need any. 
atsmile.gif

Can't friggin wait to try this bad boy with the PB2, but the right amp for you depends on what sort of music you listen to, how you'd like that music to be presented and which headphones you use. And all the other variables like size, prize, battery life and all that...  Judging by Jamato's posts so far you won't exactly be needing an amp for most cans 
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2,858 of 14,084
I used the following so far:

Shure SE535
Shure SE215 + SE215LE (slight bass boost) blue
ASG-2 (similar to Shure535 but better)
HD600 <- my best headphones setup
Momentum over ears <- my next best

It seems that the Sennheiser headphones to be a better synergy with the DX50.

Now keep in mind that I used the LO and the Pico Slim amp (best portable stack for me).

Note that I also tried all of the above phones with the HO and the player was able to drive them all.

The DX50 never was able to get the SE535 to shine from the HO. I am hoping the DX90 will.

Possible phones to use in the future, still uncertain:

Oppo PM-2 when it comes out
Shure SE846

Can you explain whats the LO and HO? Low/High Output Gain?

I want to combine my Shure SE846 with the DX90, if I'll need an amp with it this kills the whole purpose of an all in one solution.
If I understand right, the SE535 needed high gain? Isn't this strange? Aren't these low impedance and kind of sensitive?

Thanks

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #2,860 of 14,084

I want to combine my Shure SE846 with the DX90, if I'll need an amp with it this kills the whole purpose of an all in one solution.
If I understand right, the SE535 needed high gain? Isn't this strange? Aren't these low impedance and kind of sensitive?

Thanks

I use a RSA Shadow amp with my 846's from the DX50.  With the DX50's built in amp, the quietest of the 3 gain settings was high, with low being the noisiest.  There is a noticeable benefit to amping the DX50 vs the built in amp.  The Shadow is small, and stacks well with the DX50 (and also the DX90, being the same case size).  It is all personal preference in the sound signature presented.  The stock DX50 amp isn't terrible by any means with my 846, just better with the Shadow.  We will see how the DX90 compares when I receive it next week, but I have a feeling I will continue to use the Shadow just due to the fact that I love the pairing with my IEM's.  I expect the DX90's amp to be better, but judging by the crosstalk specs between HO and LO, I would guess there will be a small improvement to using an external amp on the DX90 as well.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,861 of 14,084

Thanks

Headphone out gets it output after the dac through some amplification stage, the impedance targeted is usually below 1 ohm and the gain can be set to provide different voltages to drive headphones of different impedance, as your phone impedance gets higher, the voltage applied should be increased however iems voltage can be kept low, higher current is what a low impedance iems is looking for. The LO is almost out of the dac output but usually contains circuitry to remove the dac DC component and the impedance is somewhat higher. The LO is used as inputs to an amp. The SE535 on the HO were driven with authority but the highs were just too prominent and the bass subdued. I believe the SE846 with its subwoofer style response will be totally different and should sound much better. Because of a better amp stage on the DX90, I don't think you'll need an amp.

Let us know because I am planning to possibly buy the SE846 if the SE535 are not any better with the DX90.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,862 of 14,084
Headphone out gets it output after the dac through some amplification stage, the impedance targeted is usually below 1 ohm and the gain can be set to provide different voltages to drive headphones of different impedance, as your phone impedance gets higher, the voltage applied should be increased however iems voltage can be kept low, higher current is what a low impedance iems is looking for. The LO is almost out of the dac output but usually contains circuitry to remove the dac DC component and the impedance is somewhat higher. The LO is used as inputs to an amp. The SE535 on the HO were driven with authority but the highs were just too prominent and the bass subdued. I believe the SE846 with its subwoofer style response will be totally different and should sound much better. Because of a better amp stage on the DX90, I don't think you'll need an amp.

Let us know because I am planning to possibly buy the SE846 if the SE535 are not any better with the DX90.

You would not go wrong buying the 846 either way...They are a wonderful pair of IEM's
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,863 of 14,084
Would @jamato8 or @Sorensiim or anyone open an impression thread?  Been listening to the DX90 and really liking it.  Anyone besides @tin427 and myself had received your DX90?   I guess better start an impression thread as this one will be in the "Hit F5 for tracking" mode in the foreseeable future lol!!

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #2,864 of 14,084
Opened earlier today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back