DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #1,441 of 14,084
Thanks, Musicheaven, I was just reading at the start of this threat that you said that the Sabre are slightly more bright/analytical.
As I said I love the DX50. An improvement such that will be amazing. :wink:

Thanks, Mython. Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the impact of the amp section in the sound?.

The Sabre dac claim to fame is its use of HyperStream technology which they claim is superior to standard Sigma-Delta implementation in shaping noise in order to obtain extremely low THD and High DNR. I agree with Mython about having a better amp section but a lower noise floor dac will complete the picture quite nicely.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,443 of 14,084
Ok so got a reply from ibasso...they also said to me it will be officially available to order on the 7th of april :) finally a date set, just hoping most bugs are sorted before the release, unlike what happened with the dx50

We'll compare notes, I've also asked them. Keep in mind that they have changed the date a few times so let's hope this is the one.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #1,446 of 14,084
We'll compare notes, I've also asked them. Keep in mind that they have changed the date a few times so let's hope this is the one.

lets just hope... 

im currently using my htc one as my dap for my 1964 quads and denons d2000 and everyone complaining about there only being one uSD slot is killing me lol, imagine how i feel, i have 32gb non expandable and its stuffed...sad times indeed, im definitely happy with only 128gb max even though my old archos 604 wifi has 160gb of storage, a huge brick of a player with horrible sound quality lol 

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,447 of 14,084
If you have two amps that are both built to a quality standard the higher powered amp, at the same level output of the lower power amp will be in the lower distortion range. Also I will take reserve for peaks any day. Even high frequencies can pull more than realized. Even with speakers like my horn speakers, that are 105, you can hear the difference of more power, if both amps are of quality build. True a nice 5 watt amp with them can sound fantastic but give them 100 watts and even though they don't clip the 5 watt amps, you can hear the difference and this isn't just because of a triode vs a push pull as I have also used high powered triodes. Anyway, the lower distortion range can certainly help.  IMO

Another example in increasing the power out of my fi.Q amp by doubling the buffers. I can hear the difference as in improvement of the doubled buffers, which just about doubles the power out.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #1,448 of 14,084
Is there any other 256gb SD card on the market apart from that one?

Not at the moment.

It is clearly aimed for devices that needs both the write speed and the capacity. Professional digital photography. In a DAP scenario you obviously don't need that speed. There is no compelling reason for manufacturers to release a lower write speed version at higher capacity since most usage scenarios are well covered by 128GB cacapcity. ( At least not yet )

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,451 of 14,084

The fact of the matter is that at a given SPL, amp 1 and amp 2 are delivering the same power. Period. End of story. A more powerful amp at a lower volume doesn't supply more current. Now, watts are a function of both voltage and current, so two amps that deliver the same power output (in watts) might have different current levels, but I don't think that's what Mython is saying. I think he thinks that a more powerful amp (when at a lower volume level) will deliver more power to sensitive IEMs when at 50% than a half as powerful amp at 100%. 

This isn't correct. The people that swear you don't need much current to drive sensitive headphones and in-ears are called engineers.

Actually, while it is true that power is a function of voltage and current (W = V*A), the actual variables that affect power output are the load (impedance curve of the headphone) and the current that the amp can provide at that load (assuming, for a certain volume setting, that the output voltage is constant).     It isnt really possible for 2 amps to deliver the same power output and have different current levels, unless the impedance of the headphone is changing from one amp to the other - if 2 amps are providing different current, they are providing different output power.

A powerful amp does make a difference b/c the impedance of even sensitive headphones may not be linear - nor may it be fully resistive in nature.   As such, the ability of an amp to handle varying loads does affect the output sound.   Which is why a relatively inexpensive, low-current, high-global-feedback op-amp based unit is not going to have the same control over a difficult load (ie, varying impedance, not low sensitivity) as a beefier amp with more current capabilities.    In other words, it isnt about the amount of current - it is about ability to handle changes in current requirements due to varying loads - especially once phase issues caused by L/C components of the load enter the picture.   

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,452 of 14,084
Actually, while it is true that power is a function of voltage and current (W = V*A), the actual variables that affect power output are the load (impedance curve of the headphone) and the current that the amp can provide at that load (assuming, for a certain volume setting, that the output voltage is constant).     It isnt really possible for 2 amps to deliver the same power output and have different current levels, unless the impedance of the headphone is changing from one amp to the other - if 2 amps are providing different current, they are providing different output power.

A powerful amp does make a difference b/c the impedance of even sensitive headphones may not be linear - nor may it be fully resistive in nature.   As such, the ability of an amp to handle varying loads does affect the output sound.   Which is why a relatively inexpensive, low-current, high-global-feedback op-amp based unit is not going to have the same control over a difficult load (ie, varying impedance, not low sensitivity) as a beefier amp with more current capabilities.    In other words, it isnt about the amount of current - it is about ability to handle changes in current requirements due to varying loads - especially once phase issues caused by L/C components of the load enter the picture.   

This is as good as it gets and simplest way to explain the relationship with the elements involve that affects power delivery to any headphone.

However, people sometimes just ignore or not aware of this relationships and just throws the idea that more power is better because it's convenient. For an iem especially the multiple-BA types, looking at their sensitivity ratings does not exactly shows the whole picture. The load impedance can vary wildly depending on frequency.

In practice my JH16 has load impedance of 18Ohms against 16Ohms for Roxanne. However, roxanne notioceably requires more power because at the same volume level, the JH16 is louder.

I just wish headphone manufacturers include the minimum and maximum load impedance across the effective frequency response range in their spec sheets.

While i believe a headroom in power available it a must one should be able to draw a line how much headroom is needed for a specific phone. I just feel it's puzzling to see someone recommending speaker amps to power a headphone.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,453 of 14,084
I wouldn't worry too much about the battery, I haven't had any issues with that. I have a few spare batteries which I keep fully charged. Once I am down to one tick, it's going to the charger. The random volume spiking to max on the other end is to me a more serious problem. If they have the same issue with the DX90 it's definitively going back to them if I end up buying it. It's annoying, dangerous specially if you use iems and the big problem is that you got no idea when it'll happen.

My DX50 dont have that random volume spiking problem, at least i didn't feel it, but, have you tried to rockboxed it? That way you should see, if that behavior is from hardware, or software part of DX.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #1,454 of 14,084
I think the DX90 doesn't exist and we all just dreamt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #1,455 of 14,084
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back