DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,322 of 14,084

Here is proof that I have not forgotten what it's like to have to change media:

But it's still a PITA, and doesn't need to be, if only the DAP-makers stop inconveniencing their customers. Sony still haven't learned. Apple still haven't learned. iBasso still haven't learned. Fiio have, and Calyx have.

Anyway, I've made my point so I don't feel the need to drag this out any further
beerchug.gif

the x5 doesnt internal memory though, to me that whats the second slot is for, wont comment on thw calyx though

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,323 of 14,084
SQ guys, the single slot does make much of an issue, 128GB is already around. You get 2 and just swap. Can't imagine choosing the lesser SQ DAP because it has 2 slots over one. Priorities easily misplaced nowadays.

Look how beef up the DX90 is in the same package and still at bargain price. If all you can see is the single uSD slot, good luck to you.

*shrug* Not everyone has the same use case as you, so it is a little self-indulgent to make a statement about "misplaced priorities", dont you think?     Personally, I think that most people wouldnt be able to tell a difference between a DX50 & a DX90 in a double-blind test, but that doesnt mean I go around telling others that their priorities are misplaced.

I travel for 1-3 weeks and I dont want to ****** around with multiple SD cards, especially given how all these guys seem to have intermittent cataloging issues, but I would like to have my music with me.    If that doesnt make sense to you, so be it.    I still have a right to post my opinions.

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,325 of 14,084
But it's still a PITA, and doesn't need to be, if only the DAP-makers stop inconveniencing their customers. Sony still haven't learned. Apple still haven't learned. iBasso still haven't learned. Fiio have, and Calyx have.

Anyway, I've made my point so I don't feel the need to drag this out any further
beerchug.gif

DAP's like these don't just magically assemble themselves by chance. It takes R&D, quite a bit of it actually. Most engineers don't like to work for free, not if they're any good. This means that R&D costs money and a lot of R&D costs a lot of money. So, for Ibasso or Fiio to invest in creating a new product, they need to make sure there's a reasonable chance that they can recoup their investment. They now have a choice of betting on either selling a few very expensive units or selling a lot of reasonably priced units. They chose the latter, so they will need to make some compromises. They now have a choice of compromising storage options or sound quality - They chose the former. Other manufacturers chose the latter (or raised the price)

This means that a lot of people will be able to enjoy great sound quality in a small package. Unfortunately, they won't be able to bring their entire hi-res collection at once, but whatever they chose to bring will sound awesome.

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,326 of 14,084
  DAP's like these don't just magically assemble themselves by chance. It takes R&D, quite a bit of it actually. Most engineers don't like to work for free, not if they're any good. This means that R&D costs money and a lot of R&D costs a lot of money. So, for Ibasso or Fiio to invest in creating a new product, they need to make sure there's a reasonable chance that they can recoup their investment. They now have a choice of betting on either selling a few very expensive units or selling a lot of reasonably priced units. They chose the latter, so they will need to make some compromises. They now have a choice of compromising storage options or sound quality - They chose the former. Other manufacturers chose the latter (or raised the price)

This means that a lot of people will be able to enjoy great sound quality in a small package. Unfortunately, they won't be able to bring their entire hi-res collection at once, but whatever they chose to bring will sound awesome.

You make a reasonable point.

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,327 of 14,084
Here is proof that I have not forgotten what it's like to have to change media:

Anyway, I've made my point so I don't feel the need to drag this out any further :beerchug:  

Well then it is lucky for you that nobody is going to force you to buy a DX90 so why don't you just leave this thread and stay in a Fiio or Calyx thread as you will be much happier there

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #1,328 of 14,084
The iBasso DAPs as they stand are already very attractive to me, but a full size SD/2nd micro SD would add to their appeal (to me at least), significantly.

I've relied on an ageing Cowon D2 (still functioning perfectly BTW) for portable use for millennia now, and even my Sansa Fuze has seen almost no use despite being available throughout the same ....aeons.
So although PROPER bass and authority has been a little elusive, I've not seen/heard of any player attractive enough (overall, obv') to tempt me to invest until the recent emergence of the FiiO and iBasso players.

I thought I was going to have to decide between the Dx50 and 90 ( OK maybe I was also considering the Fiio E18 for it's ability to make the most of Spotify ), but this new Cowon has definitely put the cat among the pigeons.

As long as the amp section and OS are up to the task of driving IEM's/CIEM's, its form factor and storage definitely better the FiiO and even the iBasso DAPs ( to me ).
On the subject of storage, I'd just like to highlight the fact that even my very very old D2 takes a full size SD card, surely capacities should have progressed further than ( and I'm being generous here) 128GB being the norm for DAP's?

I too demand MOAR!

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,331 of 14,084
I hope we can all have meaningful discourse, even with totally opposite viewpoints. We should be able to dialogue about these subjects in a hopefully constructive manner and enjoy the music. . 

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,332 of 14,084
Maybe he doesn't feel the need, being an adult and all.
I admit that I'm assuming he's an adult by the nature of his posts here, YMMV

Indeed. Statements like inconveniencing their customers don't strike me as very adult. I doubt any manufacturer consider that they are inconviniencing their customers with their products. Also the attitude that because a company don't do as he feel they should means "That they haven't learned" strikes me as very childish

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,333 of 14,084

*shrug* Not everyone has the same use case as you, so it is a little self-indulgent to make a statement about "misplaced priorities", dont you think?     Personally, I think that most people wouldnt be able to tell a difference between a DX50 & a DX90 in a double-blind test, but that doesnt mean I go around telling others that their priorities are misplaced.

I travel for 1-3 weeks and I dont want to ****** around with multiple SD cards, especially given how all these guys seem to have intermittent cataloging issues, but I would like to have my music with me.    If that doesnt make sense to you, so be it.    I still have a right to post my opinions.

So you are telling me you can say your opinion and I do not? That is why I stated my use case. That is why DX90 exist. So does other DAPs (that's choice). If it's not for you, then it's not for you. Yeah it does not make sense to me. Whether you agree or not are or not it does not matter to me. As I mentioned before storage (or lack of) is an inconvenience that has a remedy (except if you got a Sony or Apple). Hardware design affecting SQ is not as easy to work around with later on, especially in the same package as DX90. 

Did I say anywhere you can't disagree with what I say around here?

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,334 of 14,084
I prefer a back cover to compensate a bigger battery so I can have a longer battery life over another micro SD slot. However, nothing is perfect even the most expensive products have their flaws. I came to accept the flaws because ultimately sound quality should be the only priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back