DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jul 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #6,736 of 14,084
  The New Update:
impressions...(If you'll forgive the long boring-ness of it all :)

I had a good long test today using 3 different headphones each with 3 unique sound signatures:

DT880 CANS - Quite a reccessed mid section and relaxed highs
Yuin PK 2 BUDS - Incredible sounding balanced earphones
Grado GR10 IEM - Very sensative revealing IEMs with incredible detail and highs 

With DT880's it seemed clear that the bass was too bloated for these phones. They always seem to be on the edge of having JUST enough highs / mids 
but I still enjoy their sound very much

With the yuins, the new FW fared much better although the bass was always clearly evident on all the tracks listened to

With the Grado's the bass was actually quite nice but only because usually they are so well balanced in the lo/mid/high that the bass was an interesting new
addition BUT I was aware of the bass during every song and for iem's as sensative as these this just shouldn't be! . . . which from the POV of an audiophile is less than ideal.
Conclusion:
For that illusive 'perfect' audiophile playback experience I don't want to notice anything about the music itself I just want to be transported to that magical
audiotorial palace in the sky
For this reason I am going back to the previous update. Whether the new sound of the update suits people i think will depend on personal preference and equipment
Its not too bad in and off itself. I remember this happened on one of the updates for the DX50. Anyway, no biggy. As people say its not a huge difference but may effect
some folks
Forgot to say: The extra sensativity is horrible. Ridculously easy to make mistakes now and sometimes it doesn't even respond at all!
few other little bugs
1, sometimes it will not like a new album (after pressing the 1st track) the welcome screen will flash on and it goes back to the start page
2 its not uncommon for it NOT to play the songs in order even though they have been tagged AND named properly
3, i have some that still do not show under the 'Artist' section despite re-naming an tagging

EDIT: Listening again after going back to FW 2.5 I am blown away [in comparison] by how much clearer the highs are and how much more balanced and in its right place
the bass is (using DT880) I am a happy bunny :)

Are you saying you prefer 2.5?

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #6,737 of 14,084

It is so disappointing knowing the "Fade out -> Fade in" bug remains there with FW 2.1. I was just about to try FW2.1 again to see if it will fix this bug. Thanks for the 1st hand info.

According to ibasso, they have been unable to reproduce the problem...which surprises me as it occurs regularly enough and I've seen others with similar issues. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #6,738 of 14,084

Are you saying you prefer 2.5?

Definately BUT please bear in mind this is with the headphones that I mentioned, in particular the Beyerdynamic DT880 which Im listening to a lot lately.
With the Yuins and the Grados I would have been OK with the latest update but as I say when I notice any aspect of the sound in general or 'colouring' over a number of different albums then Im not 100% happy :) 

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #6,740 of 14,084
Is it normal for the DX90 to ask if you want to scan SD card or browse files every time you turn it on after you've previously done a media scan?

No its not normal, I asked here about a month ago. If you decline it works perfectly and database file correctly allows access to meta-data?

Mine has asked every turn-on since it arrived mid-Apri!. Unless I take card out. iBasso said send it back but after using it for a further week on holiday, I then considered Cutoms/Import problems and decided not to return.

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #6,741 of 14,084
No its not normal, I asked here about a month ago. If you decline it works perfectly and database file correctly allows access to meta-data?

Mine has asked every turn-on since it arrived mid-Apri!. Unless I take card out. iBasso said send it back but after using it for a further week on holiday, I then considered Cutoms/Import problems and decided not to return.

Mine does exactly the same, at least on firmware 2.0.0

I just assumed it was normal.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #6,742 of 14,084
Mine does not ask to rescan. Have you done a factory reset?

A factory reset seems to clear up a lot. On the previous FW my screen seemed too touchy but then I did a factory reset and it was great. On the fade in and fade out, I have not had that. I did have it on the DX50 or 90 some time back but not with the latest FW or the previous. And, I always do a factory reset. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #6,743 of 14,084
Done factory resets, reflash firmwares, everything iBasso suggested. Different cards. One with just one track on. Its weird because DB file is sound. Everything works perfectly after discard message.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #6,744 of 14,084
I received the mythical "Made in Japan" Samsung battery from the UK today. Thanks to the Head-fier who supplied the eBay link. I don't know how, but I think the sound is noticeably improved over the Pisen stock battery. Everything sounds crisper and more defined. Whether its truly the battery change that's doing it or I'm hearing what I want to hear might be subject to debate, but after a careful comparison I think it's the former rather than the latter.

I read about the problem some of you guys were having putting the cover back on completely, so I decided to push the cover up only a couple of millimeters, then close it completely again. I did that a couple of times, then pushed the cover up to its opening point and reclosed it before actually pushing it up again and removing the cover. When it came time to put the cover back on after replacing the battery, the cover sealed without a problem. I don't know if this is a universal solution, but it worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back