DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #5,071 of 14,084
I downsampled all of my high res audio to 44/16 using MBIT+ in the iZotope RX software.  It saves a massive amount space, with no sonic downside that I can hear using the DX50.  I'm beginning to believe high res playback for practical uses is little more than a gimmick. 

Even if you are a staunch supporter of high res playback, if you had to choose between native high res playback with deeply flawed codec (DX50 stock firmware) or downsampled playback with a flawless codec (Rockbox), which would you choose?  My suggestion would be to try both before reaching any conclusions. 

I used both, I have had RockBox on iPods before so it's not that I never tried it but I also tried 24/96 on the DX50/DX90/X5 and I can truly feel the difference, it's clearer, more detailed. By the way let's not get into that hi-res war, for me 24/96 is very good, less it's a downgrade, more is a waste that's just my personal preference, yours can vary and I respect that.

May 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #5,072 of 14,084
Yep, me too. Sorensiim said, a month or so ago, that he'd be willing to try a mod, since the standard DX90 circuit topology is apparently 95% of the way there, anyway, so a mod should be easy. I did click on the recently-posted foreign link, but it didn't seem sufficiently detailed to me.

Hopefully, someone here on Head-fi will post an appropriate explanation of how to accomplish it, soon :popcorn:  

Is this the same Soren who said he gave up on the idea ( @sorensiim I could not resist, you are such a nice guy, I had to bring it up, don't want you to electrocute yourself for the head-fi community :p )

May 16, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #5,073 of 14,084
@Mython
Rockbox is limited to 16/44.
It does have replay gain, better eq and some claim it sounds better on the dx50 vs the stock firmware. Sold my dx50, I have no idea if this is true.

Mehh.... so basically, it's not really worth Rockboxing a DX90, then
wink.gif

I think sometimes people change firmwares (or root their cellphones) mostly because it makes them feel empowered in influencing the operation of their device, rather than necessarily achieving substantial gains in performance.

That's OK - more power to them, but if there's marginal returns on the hassle, then I personally won't bother. It's all-good. Each to their own, etc. etc.

Rockbox community believes 16/44-48 is all you need. Anything above is just a waste of storage space and processing resource. But it does read hi res files up to 24/192 and down-samples on the fly.

Substantial gains indeed, if you consider simple playback options that the stock firmware can't get right or missing like gapless, fade-in, fade-out. Dynamic playlist and better playlist management. Parametric EQ means you have tighter, more accurate EQ. This alone puts the stock FW to shame.

Also if you want to hear how neutral your player is, Rockbox is a reference. I thought 1.2.2 FW on DX50 was it's most neutral SQ. But Rockbox showed me it was far from it.

Most of the FW issues particularly the changing SQ is reason enough to consider rockbox regardless whether you are a fan or not.

But yeah it's not for every user, especially for many people who just need to load and play that damn music and couldn't care less about anything else.

May 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #5,074 of 14,084
  Just go my Dx90 yesterday
Can anyone help me with my problems

1. It has never recognized any microSD cards 
2. it fails to be charged fully, even leaving it overnight hooking to my phone charger.
3. It is too hot, as hot as baking cake. 

1. what make, size and file formats are your SD cards.

2. Did you leave it on and playing music overnight while it's hooked to your phone charger? Did you try to change it directly from a PC or laptop. Your phone charger may not have enough current and doesn't charge the DX90 battery fast enough.

3. Answer 2 first.

May 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #5,075 of 14,084
Just go my Dx90 yesterday
Can anyone help me with my problems

1. It has never recognized any microSD cards 
2. it fails to be charged fully, even leaving it overnight hooking to my phone charger.
3. It is too hot, as hot as baking cake. 

I am wondering if you have a defective battery. Would you happen to have a spare by the way? Try other things like take the battery out, check the connections. Put it back in and run the songs on the internal memory until the battery is completely discharged. Then try recharging again.

As far as your microSD card, if you are using well know brands, it should work right off the package. Are the cards new, recently formatted, etc.. Unfortunately you'll need to isolate you problem to see if it's the player, the cards, the battery.

First make sure you can copy songs onto the player internal memory. That will at least take the internal memory and the player out of the equation if it can play songs on it.

Edit: good suggestions from @headwacker above. Hopefully with our suggestions you'll either be up and running or asking for iBasso support. Good luck by the way but hang in there, it might hopefully be minor.

May 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #5,076 of 14,084

I downsampled all of my high res audio to 44/16 using MBIT+ in the iZotope RX software.  It saves a massive amount space, with no sonic downside that I can hear using the DX50.  I'm beginning to believe high res playback for practical uses is little more than a gimmick. 

Even if you are a staunch supporter of high res playback, if you had to choose between native high res playback with deeply flawed codec (DX50 stock firmware) or downsampled playback with a flawless codec (Rockbox), which would you choose?  My suggestion would be to try both before reaching any conclusions. 

Yup same hear, I used the SoX libraries thru XLD to downsample files. Initially with a sighted comparison, I felt the hires is somewhat better. But then again sighted comparison is full of biased results.

I have not done a proper double blind AB test but here's what I did to correct my own biased, sighted comparison.

1. Took 2 hi res files which I am very familiar and created downsampled versions (16/48).

2. copy all 4 files in the internal memory of DX90. No other music files but the 4.

3. I set playback to random. While on the playback screen, I waited until the screen is off then pushed the forward button at least 3 times.

4. Then listened,  several times with all 4 songs in a loop. I could not tell which file is playing.

This is not the most accurate of tests but it shows if you take sight out the equation and rely only with your ears, the perception drastically change.

May 16, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #5,079 of 14,084
Yep, me too. Sorensiim said, a month or so ago, that he'd be willing to try a mod, since the standard DX90 circuit topology is apparently 95% of the way there, anyway, so a mod should be easy. I did click on the recently-posted foreign link, but it didn't seem sufficiently detailed to me.

Hopefully, someone here on Head-fi will post an appropriate explanation of how to accomplish it, soon :popcorn:  

Someone should contact Vinny from RWA.

Kojaku

May 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #5,084 of 14,084
I Already did, was hoping for a reply soon.....

I just amped things up a bit. I volunteered my own dx90 for it. If Vinnie is willing to try to take it on, I'll send him my dx90 to try.

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back