DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,913 of 14,084

What's the difference other than the price? Sometimes you need to know what you're paying for and I don't see anything on paper or design that makes these two "better."

In fact I hear the 901 is pretty colored DAP that is overly warm. The 240 is supposedly "boring," although it does nothing wrong and is fairly neutral, but pretty much sounds like the 120 when not playing DSD.

I also prefer Sabre over the Cirrus Logic, provided they are implemented correctly. Cirrus Logic kind of has a reputation for sounding very very clean and very very boring.

I will be auditioning the AK240 two weeks from now along side the DX90. If it's WAY better or even noticeably better I'll be happy to eat crow and let everyone here know that it's way better. What I know now is that it's WAY WAY more expensive.

Stock 901 is not colored. It's about as right as I've heard. Different amp cards will bring different attributes and sigs to the game but I don't see how you could hold that against it. Ergonomically it's not for me but it's the least colored DAP I've heard. Haven't heard an AK240 but it seems the only folks that have less than great things to say about it's sound don't own it. Probably coincidence.
wink_face.gif
 There's a lot more to these DAPs than opamps/DAC chips used. Cases, power supply implementation, type of screen, how well they can accommodate dig or line out without affecting the HO. Are they writing their own codecs etc. 

iBasso can sell these at this price because they shared a case and plan to sell quite a lot of them. They've obviously geared up.
smile.gif
 I very much appreciate that they've brought what I hope is top sound to the masses and am waiting for mine but it doesn't mean more resources couldn't have made it even better. It could. Value is for the consumer to decide but as unit volume goes down, prices rise, a lot. Maybe not to what AK is charging but for them to bother, they may need to do this and I don't see how more choices is ever bad.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #2,920 of 14,084
Apr 14, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #2,921 of 14,084

Apparently mine was picked up in Hong Kong at 1945 local time.. I guess mine should arrive by Wednesday/Thursday

The agony of waiting

Mine has "in transit" status since 2:00 AM SG time from Shenzhen. I'm wondering if they are delivering it by land which it this case might take a couple of days.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back