DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,606 of 3,609
Quote:
It's having a very narrow vision of what goes into a device.

Yeah well, you're wrong.

Quote:
I think it is because ES9018 consumers much more power than WM8740.

That all changed, on the 19th of June =) http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130627005392/en/ESS-Technology-Introduces-ES9018-2M-Sabre32-Reference-Stereo / http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9018-2M%20PB%20Rev%200.8%20130619.pdf

Time to spam their company email about iHazzo DX75. =)

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,608 of 3,609
Quote:

That all changed, on the 19th of June =) http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130627005392/en/ESS-Technology-Introduces-ES9018-2M-Sabre32-Reference-Stereo / http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9018-2M%20PB%20Rev%200.8%20130619.pdf

Time to spam their company email about iHazzo DX75. =)

I'm as keen as the next person, to see some DAPs released using the ES9018-2m, but this chip is apparently not as well-specified as its desktop counterpart:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor/780#post_9609400

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,610 of 3,609
All this discussion about DACs...I don't know about you guys but I'm most excited for the new UI :)

I feel like this could be really, really big if they can pull off  a seamless, fluid UI. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's really been achieved before in an audiophile device.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,611 of 3,609
Quote:
All this discussion about DACs...I don't know about you guys but I'm most excited for the new UI :)

I feel like this could be really, really big if they can pull off  a seamless, fluid UI. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's really been achieved before in an audiophile device.

AK120 loaded with 1.32 imo

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #1,612 of 3,609
Quote:
Quote:

AK120 loaded with 1.32 imo

Yes I forgot about iRiver. Although I've never tried one, they do look very nice..........

(hehehehe I have no money)

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,613 of 3,609
Subscribed.

Really hoping this thing is legit. It solves all my problems in theory.

-storage (natively supports 128gb and larger cards...my Cowon players have *ahem* issues with these, even when formatted correctly)
-lineout support (nope for the Cowons)
-Wolfson DAC (not a Sabre fan)
-price (audiophile players are way too expensive, this is extremely competitive with the mainstream Ipods even)
-tacile controls (%$*& all digital screen controls)
-the battery is dying in my old D2+ and it is begging to be retired. Hopefully this doesn't have the same rolled off bass and tiny soundstage.

Theoretically, I can hook it up to a Magni amp in my cube from the lineout and be set to go. I'm not really planning on using the headphone amp.

Will wait to see if there are any issues, but hopefully Ibasso has learned from the DX100 complications. But this could really be a portable market changer (at least for audiophiles).

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,614 of 3,609
Quote:

If you're going to do it, don't do 320kbps....use LAME V0. That is the highest quality VBR, and loses nothing in SQ to 320 yet saves even more space. The more complex passages of the music will have a higher bitrate, and the less complex will have a lower bitrate. Try a test album if you like, and play it in foobar2000, and you can watch the actual bitrate as the song plays......it will jump right on up towards 320 at times, and drop down at other times.

All my FLAC sits on two external hard drives, and I have LAME duplicates of them on the desktop and laptop that are what I use on my DAPs.

I disagree and prefer 320 cbr in any format from listening comparisons. It also has a lower processor and battery load because decoding is significantly less complex. VBR V0's largest available bit rate is 320 so in theory VBR can sound as good if all the bit compromizes and tracking is perfect but even then the device is working harder to do it. The only advantage is about 30% space.

I tend to use FLAC and wav but if space is an issue, I've found the NERO encoder aac 400 cbr very good for portables if the device works properly with it and Nero also does an aac 425 vbr that I haven't yet tried.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,615 of 3,609
Quote:
I disagree and prefer 320 cbr in any format from listening comparisons. 

Are you saying that you can hear the difference between 320cbr and V0 vbr in a listening comparison? Really? I have no doubt that some people can hear the difference between lossy and lossless (I struggle to do so), but to hear a difference between 320 and V0 I really think would be nearly impossible, assuming the  encoding was done right, proper volume matching used, etc.

Originally Posted by goodvibes 

It also has a lower processor and battery load because decoding is significantly less complex. VBR V0's largest available bit rate is 320 so in theory VBR can sound as good if all the bit compromizes and tracking is perfect but even then the device is working harder to do it. The only advantage is about 30% space.

None of my devices have had any difficulty with VBR. The e280 and iPod Video 5.5G, both of which were released in 2006, play VBR just fine.....all the Clip and Fuze variants I have had played it just fine. I've also had multiple Sony DAPs, multiple Samsung DAPs, a Creative Zen Mosaic, a 4G Touch and 7G Classic and 4G Shuffle, even the Mini 2G with the CF mod played them OK.  It's not quantum physics we're talking about decoding here. 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by goodvibes 

I tend to use FLAC and wav but if space is an issue, I've found the NERO encoder aac 400 cbr very good for portables if the device works properly with it and Nero also does an aac 425 vbr that I haven't yet tried.

Absolutely agree on AAC being an excellent lossy format to use, but that assumes what I highlighted above, device compatibility. The same could be said of Ogg Vorbis as well.  

That's why if I have the FLAC to work with, my lossy conversion is always LAME mp3, because pretty much any device (asides from Charles Altmann's Tera Player) will play it without any fuss.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #1,620 of 3,609
i wonder if i order on the 20th. when will i get the product... 
this weekend is the Mook event in Singapore... after visiting... i realise my earphones is capable of high resolution... i really hope DX50 works for me....

The DX50 will probably make the music you listen to, much more resolving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back