DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,576 of 3,609
Interesting past couple of pages. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,577 of 3,609
Had to happen eventually. I've yet to be on a thread where someone wouldn't post an overly exaggerated statement and someone else didn't step in to refute it and 5 others didn't take sides and jump into the fray. Keeps life on here far from boring I guess. Out of curiosity, anyone around here intend to post their findings with high 24 bit vs 16 bit performance? I'm talking about stuff like UI fluidity, battery life, card scan times, possible tagging issues, etc. I think a discussion involving those findings would be more fruitful then what we've been discussing over the last page or so. Findings involving these points concerning file type being used would be helpful too.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,581 of 3,609
Quote:
Thank you for that link!

beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,582 of 3,609
Quote:

I had to chuckle when I read the following part of the article

Quote:
Auditory researchers would love to find, test, and document individuals with truly exceptional hearing, such as a greatly extended hearing range. Normal people are nice and all, but everyone wants to find a genetic freak for a really juicy paper. We haven't found any such people in the past 100 years of testing, so they probably don't exist. Sorry. We'll keep looking.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,583 of 3,609
On the practical side, if an album is available for download in 16/24 bit format, you guys will always download the 16bit version?

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #1,584 of 3,609
Quote:
On the practical side, if an album is available for download in 16/24 bit format, you guys will always download the 16bit version?

About 95% of my collection is red book 16 bit ripped from my CD collection. Mind you, I rip from CD's because I'm more of a collector and not so much because of the theory for or against 24 bit files. I do have some 24 bit files though and I have to admit they do sound very nice.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,585 of 3,609
Quote:

I guess it depends on what you view as being practical: cost vs. space.

After reading the article Achmed linked to it sounds like 24 bit doesn't harm playback as 192kHz does. 

here 24 bit audio is as useless as 192kHz sampling. The good news is that at least 24 bit depth doesn't harm fidelity. It just doesn't help, and also wastes space.

So if price wasn't a factor then I'd probably still go for the 24 bit version if all else is equal.  Now the 192kHz thing...heck I'll download all versions if they were all free.  I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to many versions of the same thing. 
size]

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,586 of 3,609
Since I BUY (vs pirate download) all my music, out of principle, I accept only redbook quality at least. It just annoys me to buy mp3. I am not saying I could systematically hear the difference between 320 and Flac, just do not want to pay for compressed music.

As far as HD is concerned, I care little, I will buy the 24 bit version when it is available (1 album out of 20 at most) but that's it. And a very interesting article was circulated here on HF at some point explaining that there is no certainty that above 44 kHZ there is a benefit, and above 92 kHZ, there is most likely a chance of LOSING SQ. This scientific article said that the optimal frequency for human hearing is more likely to be close to 44 kHZ.

I think this was the article but not sure: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Even with redbook quality Flac, you need a lot of capacity. I have 140 GB of Flac and maybe 50gb of MP3. Of course I cannot listen to it all, but I really love to have it all with me.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #1,589 of 3,609
I dont mind carrying less with me as I dont like to choose from a large collection on a portable device.

Counting down to 20 aug.....

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #1,590 of 3,609
Lets drop the debate regarding high res music files. Countless DBTs and decades old research papers at AES have proven there can be no discernible differences between well encoded lossy files and lossless files. If the members here who think high res files offer dramatic improvements, they will 'hear' the ameliorating effects. Both parties have perks. One saves storage the other gets to hear 'all those fine details'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back