DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #2,671 of 3,609
Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if the DX 50 can drive headphones like the hd650?

Based upon the 300 ohm impedance of the HD650 and the output voltage at high gain of the DX50, it would appear that only about 10ma of current can be delivered to the phones so unless you are content to listen at fairly low volume levels, it is unlikely that the DX50 will provide adequate sound levels without an external amp.

To expand on your math:

3.1V / 300ohms = 0.0103333 amperes, or 10.333ma of current (like you said)
but since power (which is what we are concerned with) is calculated in watts = volts * amperes
watts = 3.1V * 0.0103333 = 0.0320...watts, which equals approximately 32mW into 300ohms

32mW into 300ohms is not bad at all, better than a lot of portable amps, and I'd say enough for the 650s

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #2,672 of 3,609
Quote:
To expand on your math:

3.1V / 300ohms = 0.0103333 amperes, or 10.333ma of current (like you said)
but since power (which is what we are concerned with) is calculated in watts = volts * amperes
watts = 3.1V * 0.0103333 = 0.0320...watts, which equals approximately 32mW into 300ohms

32mW into 300ohms is not bad at all, better than a lot of portable amps, and I'd say enough for the 650s

Yes, enough for the HD650's but not enough to sound their best. I find the 650's, for me, only come to life when balanced. Before that they have a slow sounding bass and do not have the transparency they can achieve as when balanced. IMO

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #2,673 of 3,609
Shhhh don't give me any ideas about going balanced. Thankfully I haven't felt the urge yet, and I'm desperately hoping it will stay that way...After all, an instant noodle only diet can do horrible things to your health.
size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #2,674 of 3,609
Quote:
Shhhh don't give me any ideas about going balanced. Thankfully I haven't felt the urge yet, and I'm desperately hoping it will stay that way...After all, an instant noodle only diet can do horrible things to your health.
size]

Yes it can!
I once went about 6 months living mostly on them(the joy of unemployment), and I was all kinds of messed up. Now imagine this....

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/teen-s-strange-ramen-addiction--165713286.html

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,675 of 3,609
I was just looking at the DX50 screen shots on the iBasso page and I realized something.  In the top-left corner of the screen is the word "CLASSIC" inside a box.  I'm guessing that is the name of the theme for the UI, which suggested that there are probably multiple themes available for the UI. 

That's good news for people bothered by things like the small album art and what appears to be duplicative on screen buttons. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,676 of 3,609
Quote:
I was just looking at the DX50 screen shots on the iBasso page and I realized something.  In the top-left corner of the screen is the word "CLASSIC" inside a box.  I'm guessing that is the name of the theme for the UI, which suggested that there are probably multiple themes available for the UI. 

That's good news for people bothered by things like the small album art and what appears to be duplicative on screen buttons. 

no themes, emailed iBasso about it. That "classic" is probably telling that EQ is on classic preset.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, the GUI looks way better on the early renderings:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/66/500x411px-LL-66012eec_33.jpeg  
than on the new product page. So does it come with couple themes? I would assume it at least has changeable wallpaper.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
the previous UI's buttons are too small on this 2.4inch screen.
The DX50 only has one theme.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2,677 of 3,609
no themes, emailed iBasso about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[COLOR=222222]Hi, the GUI looks way better on the early renderings:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222][COLOR=1155CC]http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/66/500x411px-LL-66012eec_33.jpeg[/COLOR]

than on the new product page. So does it come with couple themes? I would assume it at least has changeable wallpaper.

Hi,
the previous UI's buttons are too small on this 2.4inch screen.
The DX50 only has one theme.

Sincerely
[COLOR=888888]iBasso Audio[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Then we shall hope they patch the firmware soon and allow it. :)

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #2,678 of 3,609
Quote:

Huh. I always thought the 'CLASSIC' was the genre that was playing.
But I would like more themes, the small album art IS bothering me, since my whole music library is tagged meticulously, which sometimes means scanning the covers yourself. 
To iBasso's credit, however, it is a very good looking UI.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #2,679 of 3,609
Still, that "CLASSIC" in the corner has to mean something.  I suppose it could be short for "classical" music style, but I doubt it. 

Perhaps the player comes with one theme, but more will be available in future firmware updates? 

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #2,681 of 3,609
I think too it has to be the EQ preset, this is important, there are a lot of players that doesn't show information on screen about the EQ you are using, which I think is a bad idea.

It would be nice could read the owner's manual...please ibasso!!

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #2,684 of 3,609
Ordered one this morning. I think they're still taking orders for the second batch. Before the first batch sold out the website showed this....

[size=large]Production & Shipping Schedule[/size][size=large]:[/size]
[size=13pt]First batch: 300pcs, will be shipped on Aug 26th.
Second batch: 500pcs, will be shipped on Sep 6th.
Third batch: 500pcs, will be shipped on Sep 16th.
[/size]

Today it shows this.....

[size=large]Production & Shipping Schedule[/size][size=large]:[/size]
[size=13pt]First batch: 300pcs, will be shipped on Aug 26th. (all if the first batch of DX50s were reserved)
Second batch: 500pcs, will be shipped on Sep 6th.
Third batch: 500pcs, will be shipped on Sep 16th.
[/size]

Interestingly, the "thank you" page after paying said my order was shipping in 2 days which is the 26th. But not holding my hopes up too much for either the 26th Aug or 6th Sep.

At $239, it was pretty easy to try out. If it is anywhere as good as the AK100 or even its bigger sibling, there could be some very good value DAPs coming up on the For Sale thread!

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #2,685 of 3,609
Quote:
And looks like Sorenslim will be joining the dx50 family soon enough, hanging out in this thread far too much not to.=)

I just might - but for now I'm trying my best to await impressions, especially from other DX100 owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back