DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 31, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,533 of 3,609
Huh, so the 2TB capacity isn't true?  Wth...............

Huge fail.  iCrazo.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #1,535 of 3,609
Quote:

Those damn lossless files take huge space.

rolleyes.gif

L3000.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,536 of 3,609
Quote:

Huh?  It says it accepts up to 2TB.  How many Jigabytes do you need?  Also in China people rather pay for "real" features like faster CPU and nicer screens, not more capacity, which is kinda useless to them.

Do you have a link to that survey that showed Chinese DAP users preferred cpu speed to storage capacity? I love learning about foreign culture!

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #1,537 of 3,609
I don't know about everyone else but a 64gb microsd will be more than enough to suit my needs.

If companies would do away with internal storage and just have expandable memory slots I'd be all for it. Drop the price another 30 bucks no internal storage and I'd be a happy camper

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,539 of 3,609
Quote:
Quote:

Huh?  It says it accepts up to 2TB.  How many Jigabytes do you need?  Also in China people rather pay for "real" features like faster CPU and nicer screens, not more capacity, which is kinda useless to them.

Do you have a link to that survey that showed Chinese DAP users preferred cpu speed to storage capacity? I love learning about foreign culture!

Sure, have a look at the features in this one http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=18693898220

They made sure it has everything no other tablet has, except for storage space.  They put all their 720P movies on SD cards.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,540 of 3,609
@ Theta Alpha 1:          I think you're overlooking a very important factor.

There is a distinction between a 'DAP' and an audiophile DAP. The Chinese marketplace is absolutely awash with cheap DAPs with impressive-looking 'gizmo specs' but that's not what we're discussing, here in an iBasso DAP thread.

As we see in, for example, Apple DAPs, they don't give a damn about capacity for ALAC files, since the majority of their custimers, across the globe, are using highly-compressed .aac offerings from the iTunes store.

And the DX50 is at an awkward place in the market, price-wise, since it is almost a mainstream price, and thus there will be many potential DX50 customers who may like to explore something 'a bit better' than the mass-market DAP offerings, but who have almost their entire music collection in highly-compressed mp3 or .aac format. For this kind of customer, a 64gb MicroSD card will easily cover most of their music collection.

But for those of us who understand the SQ difference of very high bitrate files, preferably lossless (ALAC, FLAC, APE etc.), 64gb is absurdly small.  That's why Fiio are being very sensible by offering a single card slot on their relatively mainstream (but decent SQ) X3, but on their forthcoming X5, which is aimed at serious audiophiles, they will be implementing card slots, so users can have 128gb (2 x 64gb) without too much concern, and then 256gb (2 x 128gb) sometime towards the end of 2014.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,541 of 3,609
Quote:
..... but on their forthcoming X5, which is aimed at serious audiophiles, they will be implementing card slots, so users can have 128gb (2 x 64gb) without too much concern, and then 256gb (2 x 128gb) sometime towards the end of 2014.

James said, he can't be sure because nobody knows if the technical specs of the card will remain same or not, but if it remains the same, X5 will be able to read 128 x 2.

That's the thing I want to have mate. What a nice capacity. It will be good for the people who finds AK1X0 products overpriced or well, ehm, flawed.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,542 of 3,609
Ok, I overlooked pure lossless collectors.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,544 of 3,609
Quote:

Sure, have a look at the features in this one http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=18693898220

They made sure it has everything no other tablet has, except for storage space.  They put all their 720P movies on SD cards.

I love your research work. 

Does this mean that the DX100, with its 64gb onboard storage and microSD slot was a fluke? 

I'm pretty sure Ibasso settled for 8gb onboard to keep costs down, not because all chinese DAP buyers prefer micro SD cards over onboard storage, but I have been wrong before... Maybe it's the fact that the DX50 is targeted internationally that gives me these crazy ideas, I don't know.

Does it really matter? Let's move along.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,545 of 3,609
Quote:
You are a joke aren't you? Do you know the current limit of µsd is 64 gb and we have some rumors saying 128gb is on its way to arrive. First of all, I think we all know that 2TB is just a marketing gimmick, there was hell of a discussions in here many pages ago. Simply, you don't know how they will change the µsd when they increase the capacity, if they keep it the same, yes it will provide up to 2 TB, but how can you be sure their technical specifications will be the same? In case of change it won't provide you that 2TB. The time we will have 256 gb and more cards, DX50 will be already discontinued. So 2TB is just a dream and nice word that you can put on your features page.

What I need is, my own problem. I need minimum 128 and more is always welcome. In China people can find higher capacity useless, as your own words, but for me it is very useful and something very important. Those damn lossless files take huge space. What I don't need is people telling me what I look for is useless.

I'm pretty sure that Ibasso is just trying to say that the DX50's core logic routines will be able to handle that, mathematically, when and if it should ever occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back