DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #1,291 of 1,444
N30LE is the limited edition masterpiece of Cayin freshly developed after N8II and is the only DAP really rivaling DX320 Max.
Better do your homework first and follow my advice reading the respective reviews of objective reviewers
You are aggressive, whithout much reason. I did my homework. Most reviewers dont consider n8ii to be inferior to Dx320 Max and N30LE, mostly its about wider arrange of tuning options for the end user and slightly different smoother overall tuning which cant be considered "better" or "worse" with N30LE and a more airy reference sound with Dx320 with less heft than N8ii can bring to the table.

All I was wondering, if someone compared n8ii with max, after reading an absolute statement like
but there is nothing on the DAP market as good as the DX320MAX

a simple "no" would be enough :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #1,293 of 1,444
Y
I came off N8ii, and I gotta say that the 320Max is amazing :), best I have had yet, and staying in my blanket or pocket without warming up is the best feature that I could ever hoped for
Yeah the warm up is something that probably will bother me too. I am about to compare dx320 with Amp14, Cayin n8ii and ibasso dx320 Max this coming weekend. Cant wait tbh. Hope to settle with dx320 amp14, but knowing myself it will be one of the thicker girls.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #1,294 of 1,444
Y

Yeah the warm up is something that probably will bother me too. I am about to compare dx320 with Amp14, Cayin n8ii and ibasso dx320 Max this coming weekend. Cant wait tbh. Hope to settle with dx320 amp14, but knowing myself it will be one of the thicker girls.
If you use full sizes like I am, 320Max is the optimal option :). Can’t ever have enough juices, in fact, I would pair with PB5 for additional tubeyness as well. At home, it would be 320Max Line out into my 300B WE

Another plus is that on 320Max, there is no hot trebles and glares like N8ii

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #1,295 of 1,444
If you use full sizes like I am, 320Max is the optimal option :). Can’t ever have enough juices, in fact, I would pair with PB5 for additional tubeyness as well. At home, it would be 320Max Line out into my 300B WE

Another plus is that on 320Max, there is no hot trebles and glares like N8ii

Ah interesting, thought n8ii is rather calm in the treble. 300b are on my list of things to get, but I dont really need the dap as a dac, already have a Holo May :)

The idea is to get something with good heft to the instruments with some wide and as deep as possible sound signature to gets as close as possible to Holo Bliss home setup on the move. Bit worried that Max might be too transparent and airy for me, without the heft I am looking for. On the paper it definitly looks like the best of those 3 mentioned.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #1,296 of 1,444
Y

If you can, try lowering the gain to the lowest setting, but maxing out the volume wheel on the DX320MAX. If you're using sensitive IEMs/headphones or listen to music at lower levels, you won't be able to do this. However, it's important that the volume wheel is at the max. position, otherwise you will not achieve the desired result, which is listening to an unrestricted audio signal (no resistors in the signal path). I did go over this in detail in my DX320MAX review, even drew a whole diagram of the stepped attenuator that iBasso created.

I suggested to others to try this hidden technical feature, but nobody has reported about their experience... Perhaps nobody tried it at all?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #1,297 of 1,444
Ah interesting, thought n8ii is rather calm in the treble. 300b are on my list of things to get, but I dont really need the dap as a dac, already have a Holo May :)

The idea is to get something with good heft to the instruments with some wide and as deep as possible sound signature to gets as close as possible to Holo Bliss home setup on the move. Bit worried that Max might be too transparent and airy for me, without the heft I am looking for. On the paper it definitly looks like the best of those 3 mentioned.
I look toward to your impressions on the incoming devices :). I cant wait for Ibasso next Amp/DAC dedicated pieces
If you can, try lowering the gain to the lowest setting, but maxing out the volume wheel on the DX320MAX. If you're using sensitive IEMs/headphones or listen to music at lower levels, you won't be able to do this. However, it's important that the volume wheel at the max. position, otherwise you will not achieve the desired result, which is listening to an unrestricted audio signal (no resistors in the signal path). I did go over this in detail in my DX320MAX review, even drew a whole diagram of the stepped attenuator that iBasso created.

I suggested to others to try this hidden technical feature, but nobody has reported about their experience... Perhaps nobody tried it at all?

I tried it, and still, I couldnt tolerate the loudness even out of my 800s. Though, after burn in, I love the lowest gain possible. If you dislike the stepped attenuators, please known that all other forms of attenuations are inferior. The only real down side of the stepped attenuator here is that it may not be adequately be adjusting volume as finely as desired for sensitive buds... in which, people may want 48 steps instead LOL, and I dont think it is possible

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,298 of 1,444
If you can, try lowering the gain to the lowest setting, but maxing out the volume wheel on the DX320MAX. If you're using sensitive IEMs/headphones or listen to music at lower levels, you won't be able to do this. However, it's important that the volume wheel is at the max. position, otherwise you will not achieve the desired result, which is listening to an unrestricted audio signal (no resistors in the signal path). I did go over this in detail in my DX320MAX review, even drew a whole diagram of the stepped attenuator that iBasso created.

Will keep that in mind, thanks for the tip! The headphones I will have to around are, both Atriums closed and open, Verite Open, Caldera and Meze Elite, which all are not too sensetive. As for IEMs, only have Meze Advar around, so nothing too fancy.

I look toward to your impressions on the incoming devices :). I cant wait for Ibasso next Amp/DAC dedicated pieces

I tried it, and still, I couldnt tolerate the loudness even out of my 800s. Though, after burn in, I love the lowest gain possible. If you dislike the stepped attenuators, please known that all other forms of attenuations are inferior

Yep will make a quick write up :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #1,299 of 1,444

I tried it, and still, I couldnt tolerate the loudness even out of my 800s. Though, after burn in, I love the lowest gain possible. If you dislike the stepped attenuators, please known that all other forms of attenuations are inferior. The only real down side of the stepped attenuator here is that it may not be adequately be adjusting volume as finely as desired for sensitive buds... in which, people may want 48 steps instead LOL, and I dont think it is possible
All you have to do is go in Android, Audio and turn down the DAC volume. With sensitive IEMs I used around 11 oclock on low gain or go to gain setting II and around 10 o'clock. Very easy.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,300 of 1,444
All you have to do is go in Android, Audio and turn down the DAC volume. With sensitive IEMs I used around 11 oclock on low gain or go to gain setting II and around 10 o'clock. Very easy.
I guess that'll do..

I am still on an outdated FW, so my DAC volume is likely on 100. Idk, when I listened to the Camerton Binom-ER with the stepped attenuator at position 24, it was such an audible difference. I would argue that this difference is explained and backed up by the technical design of a stepped attenuator. What I am describing is the purest audio signal you can get from the DX320MAX, especially if you are at gain setting 1. Wish more people had the same eye-opening experience as me (it's such a joy to listen to music with this setting!!!!)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #1,301 of 1,444
Has anyone used the DX320Max with the Elysian Annihilator 2023 or the Aroma Jewel? Debating on this, versus the HiBy RS8 for these two.

It's what sold me on buying the Annihilator 2023. I love it on the n30le ap, but it is magic with the DX320 Max. No experience with RS8.

I have not but there is nothing on the DAP market as good as the DX320MAX. It seems to have it all. Open sound, bass, transparency, etc. I have heard most everything and nothing equals it.

I view the n30le and dx320max as complimentary DAPs. When I want something fast and speedy, I go for DX320Max TI. When I want that lush sound, n30le AP all the way.

Jan 18, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #1,302 of 1,444

I tried this but I wasn’t even able to max out the volume wheel with DCA E3. Just too loud for me. I really want to try it but I can’t handle it that loud!

Jan 18, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #1,303 of 1,444
I guess that'll do..

I am still on an outdated FW, so my DAC volume is likely on 100. Idk, when I listened to the Camerton Binom-ER with the stepped attenuator at position 24, it was such an audible difference. I would argue that this difference is explained and backed up by the technical design of a stepped attenuator. What I am describing is the purest audio signal you can get from the DX320MAX, especially if you are at gain setting 1. Wish more people had the same eye-opening experience as me (it's such a joy to listen to music with this setting!!!!)
I would love to hear more about the Cameron! Have you reviewed it? Is it neutral or musical?

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #1,304 of 1,444
I tried this but I wasn’t even able to max out the volume wheel with DCA E3. Just too loud for me. I really want to try it but I can’t handle it that loud!
What a bummer! I'm with you, as I was prevented from listening at the max. volume wheel position multiple times. Funnily enough, some of the audio files I've got were so quiet that I could bump up the gain to level 4! It takes a perfect-matching headphone to be able to use this feature... So many headphones are just so easy to get to unbearable listening levels.
I would love to hear more about the Cameron! Have you reviewed it? Is it neutral or musical?
I did! I wrote a huge article, covering both the story aspect and the critical evaluation of these headphones. It's a very, very special headphone... with a special price tag of €5500 (btw it was closer to €6000 at the time of it's release!). My friend, who I dare say has gifted hearing, was stunned listening to some of the tracks he has been listening his whole life. He is a true metalhead, the biggest enthusiast for metal that I've met, that's for sure! He heard details and textures in those tracks that he never heard before. Specifically some details in drumming (which I also happen to recognize). When I say the guy was lost of words, sitting in front of me on the verge of crying, and has repeated this behavior each time he listened to it, it should tell you something about it. It's hard to precisely define it, it's so different-sounding from any other headphone I've listened to. It's extremely emotional and moving listening to music with them, and they are the most natural-sounding pair of headphones I've listened to.

Feel free to give my article a read, it's here on Head-Fi:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/camerton-audio-binom-er-the-full-story-by-voja.971251/

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #1,305 of 1,444
What a bummer! I'm with you, as I was prevented from listening at the max. volume wheel position multiple times. Funnily enough, some of the audio files I've got were so quiet that I could bump up the gain to level 4! It takes a perfect-matching headphone to be able to use this feature... So many headphones are just so easy to get to unbearable listening levels.

I did! I wrote a huge article, covering both the story aspect and the critical evaluation of these headphones. It's a very, very special headphone... with a special price tag of €5500 (btw it was closer to €6000 at the time of it's release!). My friend, who I dare say has gifted hearing, was stunned listening to some of the tracks he has been listening his whole life. He is a true metalhead, the biggest enthusiast for metal that I've met, that's for sure! He heard details and textures in those tracks that he never heard before. Specifically some details in drumming (which I also happen to recognize). When I say the guy was lost of words, sitting in front of me on the verge of crying, and has repeated this behavior each time he listened to it, it should tell you something about it. It's hard to precisely define it, it's so different-sounding from any other headphone I've listened to. It's extremely emotional and moving listening to music with them, and they are the most natural-sounding pair of headphones I've listened to.

Feel free to give my article a read, it's here on Head-Fi:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/camerton-audio-binom-er-the-full-story-by-voja.971251/
Can’t wait to give them a try! Maybe at CanJam London if not sooner at a dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back