DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,261 of 1,447
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #1,262 of 1,447
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #1,263 of 1,447
The batteries that have PD (check for 12V) should all likely work. I have the Baseus Blade which can power laptops and it works fine. I have a smaller one with PD and it also works.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,264 of 1,447
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #1,265 of 1,447
I ordered this one, which comes on Monday to try. In theory this one should work too, ya?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBL56CD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Yes, it does support 12V output, so it will work

From the specs and the information, it looks like it should work well. A few people have had issues with longevity but it should do the job.
My Zendure bank is working great ! The only Problem I have is that it can be deep discharged if I forgot the 12V out USB C cables. It wouldn’t wake up, until I found out that from all the ports, one of them support triggered charging for waking up the battery. Since then, I have been fine using it. Just don’t forget to unplug the 12V cables as it can drain the battery

This one will also work just as well, it supports 12V output

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #1,266 of 1,447
Those of you who heard other higher end daps, how much punch, instrument body does Ibasso 320 Max have compared to stuff like Sp3000, 2000, Cayin n8ii or 320 with amp14?

A friend made a bit of an unfair A/B comparison between Max and his Violectric V850, V200 setup. Ibasso 320 Max felt significantly less punchy on Utopia and lacked body and seperation on Elite according to him, when switched directly from the mentioned desktop setup.

I am not sure if it’s the more airy tuning, (other higher end daps might sound more punchy with more weight to the notes?) or simply restrictions of mobile setup with 1/10 of desktop power.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #1,267 of 1,447
Those of you who heard other higher end daps, how much punch, instrument body does Ibasso 320 Max have compared to stuff like Sp3000, 2000, Cayin n8ii or 320 with amp14?

A friend made a bit of an unfair A/B comparison between Max and his Violectric V850, V200 setup. Ibasso 320 Max felt significantly less punchy on Utopia and lacked body and seperation on Elite according to him, when switched directly from the mentioned desktop setup.

I am not sure if it’s the more airy tuning, (other higher end daps might sound more punchy with more weight to the notes?) or simply restrictions of mobile setup with 1/10 of desktop power.
I don’t know how exactly did your friend came to that conclusion. However, I have a couple desktop setups that I am still using and I can tell you that I rather use Max directly to my HD800S as I can take it to the couches and anywhere I want to in the house. Having not to be tethered to the wall is an amazing feature, and of course in no way that it is “significantly less punchy”

No, it isn’t at the desktop level but it is within 10% just fine. That is exaggerating, because it is even less than that. The only thing that is somewhat noticeable is the layering, separation and staging, which is within 10% differences. That is why I rather be using Max directly to 800S rather than using desktop

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #1,268 of 1,447

As I've said earlier in the thread, comparing any DAP to desktop setups is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Both fruits, true, you can say of both whether they're sweet or sour, ripe or green, etc., but each have genetic differences that render further comparison a moot point. Expensive desktop will, typically (for there are exceptions), sound a bit (or even a lot) better. But you can't move around, travel, etc., with any desktop system.

Now, turning to the 320Max, one thing I'd say it definitely doesn't lack is weight note. It's dense on each note, while being transparent and clear at the same time. Not warm, mind you, but not "tinny" either (or what some people might call heavily analytical). You are right to want to compare it to other high-end DAPS (and as I don't own any of these, I can't comment), but I doubt a £5-10k desktop system will ever sound inferior.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #1,269 of 1,447
As I've said earlier in the thread, comparing any DAP to desktop setups is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Both fruits, true, you can say of both whether they're sweet or sour, ripe or green, etc., but each have genetic differences that render further comparison a moot point. Expensive desktop will, typically (for there are exceptions), sound a bit (or even a lot) better. But you can't move around, travel, etc., with any desktop system.

Now, turning to the 320Max, one thing I'd say it definitely doesn't lack is weight note. It's dense on each note, while being transparent and clear at the same time. Not warm, mind you, but not "tinny" either (or what some people might call heavily analytical). You are right to want to compare it to other high-end DAPS (and as I don't own any of these, I can't comment), but I doubt a £5-10k desktop system will ever sound inferior.
exactly, the only time I compared is when I am curious about the portability VS tethering, and will it be worth it. I have to say that DAP and portables have come a long way. That, the 320M is the one to stand out the most for portability/pocketability while still having amazing performances for Fullsize.

The performances you can hear and witnessed for yourself. One of those reasons is pretty easy to understand, because the 320Max phones out have super low impedances, I can not find the official statement at the moment, but I think it is about less than 0.4 ohms or so. You dont typically see this output impedances on many desktop setups, lets alone other portables

While we are at it, I hear the next line up from Ibasso, the amplifier and DAC is supposed to have very low crosstalk, which offers much higher separations, and yield much better staging. We are talking about -130Db crosstalk or so.

I am sure some people may have caught the glimpse of Ifi and their mis-advertisements on their line ups, which doesnt measure anywhere near their marketing claims. However, Ibasso stated that they have always strived for real measurements. I dont have the personal measurements to back it up, but I believe/trust that Ibasso always do so

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #1,270 of 1,447
Thats bit of a common place that a 3.5k dap will never sound like a 5-10k desktop system. The desktop system that we are talking about is around 2.5k and much cheaper used. What I am wondering if its the more neutral airy tuning of Max and the more warmish tuning of violectric that create the described contrast OR indeed there is just that power difference that puts a desktop system ahead.
I dont want to kick off a discussion about how a dap is inferior to a absolute high end desktop system - it would be a bit sad if it wouldnt. Currently I am deciding between og 320 X with amp 11.2 and amp 14, and the 320 Max Ti, the price difference is big, and I am not sure its justified in my case. Getting something like 320 Max Ti - my expectation would be probably something on level or close to a desktop system around 2.5k-3k. If it cant be achieved and I just have to curb my expectations something like the og 320 might be the better call for me. But I am not expecting Max to sound anywhere close to my Holo Bliss / May.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,271 of 1,447
It like setting up for Mahler's 5th in the Whiskey Agogo (which no longer exists) or John Mayall (I saw him play at the Whisky Go Go -original- ) in Carnegie Hall all acoustical. You play the right music for each. The DX320MAX is no less a performer but you also have to be reasonable. A full out Corvette will go faster than my Supra but take them into the mountains and the Supra will leave it behind.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #1,272 of 1,447
Thats bit of a common place that a 3.5k dap will never sound like a 5-10k desktop system. The desktop system that we are talking about is around 2.5k and much cheaper used. What I am wondering if its the more neutral airy tuning of Max and the more warmish tuning of violectric that create the described contrast OR indeed there is just that power difference that puts a desktop system ahead.
I dont want to kick off a discussion about how a dap is inferior to a absolute high end desktop system - it would be a bit sad if it wouldnt. Currently I am deciding between og 320 X with amp 11.2 and amp 14, and the 320 Max Ti, the price difference is big, and I am not sure its justified in my case. Getting something like 320 Max Ti - my expectation would be probably something on level or close to a desktop system around 2.5k-3k. If it cant be achieved and I just have to curb my expectations something like the og 320 might be the better call for me. But I am not expecting Max to sound anywhere close to my Holo Bliss / May.

I have a Bliss KTE/Spring 3 KTE and the 320MAX. I would say they are different sounding. I have heard May too, and I think the May + Bliss set sounds closer to the 320MAX than the Spring 3 pairing does. The Spring 3 with Bliss is definitely warmer and more analog sounding than the 320Max. From my experience of just May vs Spring 3, the May is a little bigger sounding in terms of holographic soundstage and a little more airy and neutral (in a good way).

I prefer the 320Max sound with some of my headphones/iems and the holo setup with others.

EDIT: I actually quite enjoyed the 320 Max LO to the Bliss amp too. I've also have not tried listening to the original DX320 yet.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #1,273 of 1,447
L
Look, fair point what you say about desktop systems. Be that as it may, you spoke of "weight note" and "body". I've not heard the violectric desktop system you're describing, but imo I'd struggle to imagine that 320max could be described as lacking in weight note and body, or punch for that matter. Or in imaging.

As for gains, for example, between DX300 Amp11.2 and DX300 Max, yes the latter was not 3 times better a performer than the former as the respective price tags would imply, but it was clearly a better sounding DAP in every respect (I can say that as I've owned both). I suspect something similar might hold for the 320X and 320Max. Gains are no linear to price. But then, also Aune M1P, to give an example, does not sound like a $350 DAP, rather more like a >$1k DAP, but I'd still take the DX320 Max over it any time for portable setup, even though price differential is huge.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #1,274 of 1,447
L

Look, fair point what you say about desktop systems. Be that as it may, you spoke of "weight note" and "body". I've not heard the violectric desktop system you're describing, but imo I'd struggle to imagine that 320max could be described as lacking in weight note and body, or punch for that matter. Or in imaging.

As for gains, for example, between DX300 Amp11.2 and DX300 Max, yes the latter was not 3 times better a performer than the former as the respective price tags would imply, but it was clearly a better sounding DAP in every respect (I can say that as I've owned both). I suspect something similar might hold for the 320X and 320Max. Gains are no linear to price. But then, also Aune M1P, to give an example, does not sound like a $350 DAP, rather more like a >$1k DAP, but I'd still take the DX320 Max over it any time for portable setup, even though price differential is huge.
There are diminishing return points as everything else. For example, approaching Ultra sonic speed is only approaching diminishing return point for a fighter jet. However, breaking the sound barrier and go even faster, the expenses would be astronomical. We can refer between that VS sound systems and it performances

However, in jets and planes, they are technical and more objectives VS sound systems which is all about perceptions, listening, and subjective performances. The lines are often blurred.

No offenses to many people, just speaking in general, and from my observations of the hobby over the years. Because the lines are blurred and the point of references are not clear, but all subjectives. People would rather judge the players and it worth by the MSRP. Clearly, some cables and products are not worth the MSRP that it is commanding. It happens to desktop and stereos systems as well.

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #1,275 of 1,447
No offenses to many people, just speaking in general, and from my observations of the hobby over the years. Because the lines are blurred and the point of references are not clear, but all subjectives. People would rather judge the players and it worth by the MSRP. Clearly, some cables and products are not worth the MSRP that it is commanding. It happens to desktop and stereos systems as well.

I've just come to accept that if there is market for it, who can fault the manufacturer for making/sell/pricing it. AND if it does something (even if it's 1%) different than anything else, you are paying to experience that and sometimes you can't put a $ on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back