DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Dec 12, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #7,516 of 10,348
Does anyone have an issue with the new Battery Saver feature in the firmware 2.04 where the analog battery stops charging when the digital one reaches 80%? I guess the feature was developed with the assumption that the digital battery always drains faster than the analog battery. If you use the amp13 and offline playing with Mango player, the analog battery would drain faster than the digital one, and you may end up with the analog battery stops changing even if it's still very low, like 45% of analog and 80% of digital.
I don't have Amp 13, but I have not experienced only D battery charging. I do see only D or A charging at any given time so when playing and charging simultaneously, I see D or A drop to about 75% temporarily. I am using a 5V charger that supplies up to 2.4 amps.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #7,517 of 10,348
I don't have Amp 13, but I have not experienced only D battery charging. I do see only D or A charging at any given time so when playing and charging simultaneously, I see D or A drop to about 75% temporarily. I am using a 5V charger that supplies up to 2.4 amps.
I tried playing and charging simultaneously and the DAP stopped charging when the D battery reached 80% (the analog battery was of course lower than that), then both A and D batteries started discharging. I guess the only option for me now is to disable the Battery Saver feature. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #7,518 of 10,348
I tried playing and charging simultaneously and the DAP stopped charging when the D battery reached 80% (the analog battery was of course lower than that), then both A and D batteries started discharging. I guess the only option for me now is to disable the Battery Saver feature. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
It could also be an issue with Mango player. I use Apple Music and it's been working fine.

Dec 12, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #7,519 of 10,348
To address the questions about the LED light bar on the DX320 I have looked thoroughly into this. First at the ends of the LED light tubes on some DX320s, a little adhesive gel got on the tube, which is easily taken off with adhesive remover on a cloth, not sprayed on, but on a cloth and rubbed on the LED. Second is not all the ends of the LEDs are perfectly the same. This is an LED light bar that is about 1mm in width and falls within the manufacturer's standard for light transfer. In other words, not abnormal. This is at either end of the light bar and does not interfere with the color changes or ability of the LED to indicate charging or the resolution being played. It can be used or turned off, to suit anyone's preference.
Hi Paul will the LED light bar also change color according bitrate while streaming (Apple Music, Tidal) or just local files?

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #7,520 of 10,348
Hi Paul will the LED light bar also change color according bitrate while streaming (Apple Music, Tidal) or just local files?
It works for all apps as it is hardware tied to DAC.

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #7,521 of 10,348
So, coming from 4 active signals lines, even 8x of them. We will be thinking that we can amplify these signals directly and have no consequences but only benefits ? In reality, there are always trade offs. Nothing is all good, and nothing is all bad either. In this case of being Solid states and Opamps, when we combine 4 active signals lines into only 2 lines with Ground references…AKa, differentials, and AKA, Single ended from a Balanced output.

What do we loose ? First of all, we loose the high voltage from Swing to Swing, and it is cut in halves. For example, it should have been 4.4V, but now it is 2.2V instead.

What do we gain ? Higher quality from the Single ended, or whatever remained. The L+ and R+ is now have been improved technically. How so ?

1/ We have summed the Phases errors by using the Ground references, and hence eliminating Crossover Distortions

4445E6B4-4BA3-4451-B216-9E6D1B58A54E.gif
2/ We also summed the signals up and in turn, canceling out errors, noises (a form of Analog error corrections). Hence, lower floor noises, lowered distortions, and higher dynamic range. One Example is that if you take ESS9038Pro, and you utilize all channels on one single chip, you are not getting 140Db dynamic range, rather you are getting only 133Db or so. However, when you sum them all up into 1 channel, the dynamic range actually is improved

Finally, the benefits we have gained ? Better performances, at the trade offs of Power output. Then again, how did you sum them up, how did the differential stages get implemented ? It play a huge key roles. It is very complex in lab measurements, and also subjective acoustic tuning. Most of the people would want to make it simpler and easier, and to simply follow balanced to balanced and single ended to single ended :wink:

Wait! So how come most of the time Balanced output resulting in better separations and soundstage ? Because of power …. Remember ? We trade off the power output for better quality ! Especially when power is such a vital part on the little system of DAP

Now, back to the Differential stage for the output on Amp14. Did we not talk about how beneficials being single-ended could have been ? Then why do we go back to separating it out to be balanced again ? Because Power baby ! We want more power ! And because it is essential for a DAP.

Ok, I am confused, why did we started with Single ended again ? Because we don’t have space for 2 Korg Tubes . Also, Because we want tube distortions and overtones :p

Is it bad ? Is it good ? It depends on the implementations! Let your ears judge ! But I believe it is the best solution here given what Ibasso have to work with. At least, we are not seeing another “Non innovated ideas as other brands :wink:
Really helpful explanation thanks 😊

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #7,523 of 10,348
A couple months passed since i sold my dx320. Today i had an opportunity to listen to the dx320 in a direct comparison to the M8. The dx320 (with stock amp) sounded bland in dynamics, lacking the bass extension and had more pronounced upper midrange. Not a very engaging experience. The M8 sounded deeper, with better bass and more pronounced dynamics but still more reference somehow. It was just more even in tuning but liviler in mids and bass.
The dx320 had a very very slightly more realistic timber but the overall presentation of the M8 was more life-like and more engaging. Also the soundstage on the M8 was wider and more opened in mids. Also the vocals were slightly moved deeper in the stage, creating more 3D effect. The differences werent big but noticeable.
All tests made with the Monarchs 2 paired with ISN 4g cable.
The dx320 is still an amazing device but i had an impression that IBasso is still behind the top dogs like the AK and Shanling.
BUT... They have very little to improve. Knowing IBassos approach, they will make it with their next dap. I see no problems here.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #7,524 of 10,348
A couple months passed since i sold my dx320. Today i had an opportunity to listen to the dx320 in a direct comparison to the M8. The dx320 (with stock amp) sounded bland in dynamics, lacking the bass extension and had more pronounced upper midrange. Not a very engaging experience. The M8 sounded deeper, with better bass and more pronounced dynamics but still more reference somehow. It was just more even in tuning but liviler in mids and bass.
The dx320 had a very very slightly more realistic timber but the overall presentation of the M8 was more life-like and more engaging. Also the soundstage on the M8 was wider and more opened in mids. Also the vocals were slightly moved deeper in the stage, creating more 3D effect. The differences werent big but noticeable.
The dx320 is still an amazing device but i had an impression that IBasso is still behind the top dogs like the AK and Shanling.
BUT... They have very little to improve. Knowing IBassos approach, they will make it with their next dap. I see no problems here.
think you'll be able to compare with amp 14 eventually?

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #7,526 of 10,348
Wondering if maybe it's the class A that makes the difference, from my small experience class A as opposed to a/b has a very different presentation, is far less diffuse/much more pinpoint and has better layering, dynamics feel smaller due to the pinpointy nature, and musicality surprisingly lacks (not sure why, maybe it becomes too technical? idk)

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #7,527 of 10,348
So the M8 Thread is the Place for you I guess

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #7,528 of 10,348
So the M8 Thread is the Place for you I guess
So it would seem.

I have been able to compare, and do not agree with the summation and the lack of dynamics and flatter sound and this it through other ears than mine as well, but we all have our preferences. That the DX320 is flat sounding in any way, and in comparison is silly, IMO. But to each his or her own.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #7,529 of 10,348
So it would seem.

I have been able to compare, and do not agree with the summation and the lack of dynamics and flatter sound and this it through other ears than mine as well, but we all have our preferences. That the DX320 is flat sounding in any way, and in comparison is silly, IMO. But to each his or her own.
Most of the time psycho-accoustics anyway imo.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #7,530 of 10,348
Hello everyone, I joined the ibasso family with the DX300, previously I had some Hiby devices (R6pro and R6 2020) I will say in favor of hiby that I think they are the ones who best know how to optimize Android in their DAPs, also had the shanling M7.

Until that moment I liked DX300 a lot but I noticed that it lacked some speed to the sound, DX300 is creamier or denser, it is the only thing that I liked more about M7 than DX300, the speed, the attack and the decay faster, however, soundstage, detail and tonality were on the DX300 side with AMP12.

So I finally decided to go with DX320, after getting used to its sound I can only say that I love it, the sound is organic and effortless, wide, detailed, with soul, I really like the tonality, the texture and depth of the bass is excellent, as well as its dynamics, the midrange is clear and expressive, the treble is technical with good presence and extension, even so, never sibilance, now yes, the speed seems much more appropriate to me with greater attack and cleaner notes that provide clarity overall, all this with AMP11 MK2, I still have to try other AMPs.

@Paul - iBasso

The only real complaints would be in the management of the battery, after charging the device to 100% and without using it, past 24 hours the battery dropped 20% which is not normal and did not happen with DX300, then the issue with dark theme, the icons disappear when the notification bar is displayed because they are not adapted for it, and finally, the double tap to wake up the screen does not work, only if the device is in use playing music, after that it will not work again, that's all. I trust that these are details that will be corrected later with an update, otherwise it seems to me an impressive device!! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back