DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Dec 13, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #7,547 of 10,359
There is also another idea- IBasso could maybe implement some system to switch between 2-3 sound profiles. The software updates show that there are sonic changes between them, so maybe its possible to make it simpler, from Settings level in android, dunno, just the idea.
I am not sure they can "can" that and make it controllable at this point. I am thinking that the different "profiles" are simply a byproduct of different algorithms being used in order to make X amp module function properly. I could be wrong though. It has been known to happen.... :yum:

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #7,548 of 10,359
I am not sure they can "can" that and make it controllable at this point. I am thinking that the different "profiles" are simply a byproduct of different algorithms being used in order to make X amp module function properly. I could be wrong though. It has been known to happen.... :yum:
I think youre right but would be nice to have it simpler when changing amps. But it could be hard to implement or even impossible, dont know.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #7,549 of 10,359
I think youre right but would be nice to have it simpler when changing amps. But it could be hard to implement or even impossible, dont know.
On the other hand, I have not noticed any differences in the DX300 tuning when updating FW versions (even for Amp13 and Amp14).... But maybe my hearing is just not good enough to hear those differences at this point?!

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #7,550 of 10,359
On the other hand, I have not noticed any differences in the DX300 tuning when updating FW versions (even for Amp13 and Amp14).... But maybe my hearing is just not good enough to hear those differences at this point?!
I dont recall any either with the dx300. But dx320 is a different story.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #7,552 of 10,359
Not as much differences on the Dx300. I was searching for any plausible explanations, and the best I could have come to the conclusions at the moment is that different IC chips have a different processing speeds. Even though all of them could have been conversion at 8X Over Sampling. The differences is that with faster speed, the more accurate the conversions and with the slower speed, the higher the noise shaping and random noises to cheat up and arrive at similar benchmarks on measurements (not the waveform accuracy)

Together with that, the higher the processing speed requires the lower power supplies ripples/noises. The differences in noises and voltage errors will result in a more dramatic changes to the conversions of the wave forms (as the chips do it errors corrections). In oppose of that, the slower speed with more noise shaping and errors corrections will be the least effected by power supplies noises and voltage errors.

Firmwares with different block of processings and or slight changes here and there will alter the way the systems are processing. This may increase/decreases the overall parasitic noises or errors and in turn be effecting the DAC chips.

So, the higher end the DAC chips, the more picky it is toward power supplies and it variations.

There are more to it, but it needs more time to perceive any further plausible explanations

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #7,553 of 10,359
Not as much differences on the Dx300. I was searching for any plausible explanations, and the best I could have come to the conclusions at the moment is that different IC chips have a different processing speeds. Even though all of them could have been conversion at 8X Over Sampling. The differences is that with faster speed, the more accurate the conversions and with the slower speed, the higher the noise shaping and random noises to cheat up and arrive at similar benchmarks on measurements (not the waveform accuracy)

Together with that, the higher the processing speed requires the lower power supplies ripples/noises. The differences in noises and voltage errors will result in a more dramatic changes to the conversions of the wave forms (as the chips do it errors corrections). In oppose of that, the slower speed with more noise shaping and errors corrections will be the least effected by power supplies noises and voltage errors.

Firmwares with different block of processings and or slight changes here and there will alter the way the systems are processing. This may increase/decreases the overall parasitic noises or errors and in turn be effecting the DAC chips.

So, the higher end the DAC chips, the more picky it is toward power supplies and it variations.

There are more to it, but it needs more time to perceive any further plausible explanations
Sounds plausible to me. I would not know the difference whether you were right on the money or not because I haven't done much research on this. But from what I DO know, it sounds pretty logical to me.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #7,554 of 10,359
Wondering if SantaPaul will drop Amp 14 before Christmas 😁.
According to the iBasso FB page, the modules are done, but no distributors have them yet.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #7,556 of 10,359
Wondering if SantaPaul will drop Amp 14 before Christmas 😁.
They released this week. Seems like none of the distributors have them yet, at least not on the US market. I purchased one directly from Paul a few hours ago, did the same when the Amp13 released. The waiting game starts.

I haven't got a clue regarding specs, going under the assumption that it will have a different taste vs the Amp13 (albeit mildly) but with better power output. I favor 4.4 pentacon as my daily driver so the new module has a certain appeal. Will post updates as soon as I have it, really curious to see how they compare to one another.

They don't come with a new liquid metal faceplate in case you have the Edition X. If I end up liking the amp14 above the amp13, I may have mod the faceplate on the 13 to fit into the 14. The faceplate dimensions for the amp12 are the same as on the 14 but I need that one for the Amp12EX. Really wish we had that extra faceplate but I'll make due.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #7,557 of 10,359
Wouldn't be surprised that in the effort of optimizing hardware, meaning battery life, functionality, etc, the sound signature may vary. As you say, different algorithms to make X thing work.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #7,558 of 10,359
They released this week. Seems like none of the distributors have them yet, at least not on the US market. I purchased one directly from Paul a few hours ago, did the same when the Amp13 released. The waiting game starts.

I haven't got a clue regarding specs, going under the assumption that it will have a different taste vs the Amp13 (albeit mildly) but with better power output. I favor 4.4 pentacon as my daily driver so the new module has a certain appeal. Will post updates as soon as I have it, really curious to see how they compare to one another.

They don't come with a new liquid metal faceplate in case you have the Edition X. If I end up liking the amp14 above the amp13, I may have mod the faceplate on the 13 to fit into the 14. The faceplate dimensions for the amp12 are the same as on the 14 but I need that one for the Amp12EX. Really wish we had that extra faceplate but I'll make due.
You only need Amp12 faceplate from edition X, which comes with it

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #7,560 of 10,359
What happens if AMP 15 is just 4.4mm only, are edition X users out of luck with a matching Liquid Metal faceplate? Does iBasso plan to make more faceplates to match future amp modules?
I believe that @Whitigir answered that very question right before your post. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back