DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #7,531 of 10,359
Hello everyone, I joined the ibasso family with the DX300, previously I had some Hiby devices (R6pro and R6 2020) I will say in favor of hiby that I think they are the ones who best know how to optimize Android in their DAPs, also had the shanling M7.

Until that moment I liked DX300 a lot but I noticed that it lacked some speed to the sound, DX300 is creamier or denser, it is the only thing that I liked more about M7 than DX300, the speed, the attack and the decay faster, however, soundstage, detail and tonality were on the DX300 side with AMP12.

So I finally decided to go with DX320, after getting used to its sound I can only say that I love it, the sound is organic and effortless, wide, detailed, with soul, I really like the tonality, the texture and depth of the bass is excellent, as well as its dynamics, the midrange is clear and expressive, the treble is technical with good presence and extension, even so, never sibilance, now yes, the speed seems much more appropriate to me with greater attack and cleaner notes that provide clarity overall, all this with AMP11 MK2, I still have to try other AMPs.

@paulibasso The only real complaints would be in the management of the battery, after charging the device to 100% and without using it, past 24 hours the battery dropped 20% which is not normal and did not happen with DX300, then the issue with dark theme, the icons disappear when the notification bar is displayed because they are not adapted for it, and finally, the double tap to wake up the screen does not work, only if the device is in use playing music, after that it will not work again, that's all. I trust that these are details that will be corrected later with an update, otherwise it seems to me an impressive device!! :)
Do you turn the DX320 off when not in use?

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #7,533 of 10,359
I never turn off my DAPs between uses, an Android device at rest should consume a minimum percentage of battery in the background, maybe 5-6% a day at most.
Well sometimes things are going on in the background and that apparently is happening. I always turn my daps off and never have an issue.

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #7,534 of 10,359
So can anyone tell me what is the census on the new firmware?

Is it better than last?
Should one upgrade?
Or whats the best firmware to date to stay on for now? V2.01, V2.02, V2.03, V2.04

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #7,535 of 10,359
So the M8 Thread is the Place for you I guess
I don't know what time it is that I say this, but please be respectful of everyone's opinion. This should be a welcoming community, where everyone feels comfortable sharing their experience.

This is not a cult. We have these dedicated threads to share our findings, and if one person is fond of another DAP, we should respect that. Even if the DAP they like more is not the one the thread is about! The comparison was made against the DX320, so it is absolutely appropriate to post under this thread. I know I am overreacting a bit, since @frankraindog didn't directly say anything inappropriate, but the vibes I'm getting are "Go away, we don't wanna hear that here!".

Personally, for me to consider @RIGATIO's comments as valid, I'd need to know the thorough explanation behind his approach. I'd need to know all the details of the comparison. Without that, we can't really draw any value from the comments... I'm a harsh critic, what can I say =)

I generally find iBasso's "house sound" to be very subtle. If you're looking for a fun and exaggerated sound signature, I don't think you'll find that in iBasso's DAP offerings. The closest experience of coloring I experienced was with the combination of AMP11Mk1 and DX300. I always found iBasso to have focus on things such as timbre, detail retrieval, imaging/staging, and that final sprinkle of the magic powder.

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #7,536 of 10,359
I find the sound of the V2.03 version to be very nice.

Contrary to what some say if I find there is strong dynamics in the sound both ends extend as much as the track requires, if there is a deep abysmal bass there it is , if there is a flash reaching the top, that's how it will be represented, I don't think ibasso does much coloration in the sound but it offers what the track demands, it handles multiple sounds and layers perfectly, all this while maintaining a high technical level for which I think has an excellent balance between musicality and commitment :)

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #7,537 of 10,359
I find the sound of the V2.03 version to be very nice.

Contrary to what some say if I find there is strong dynamics in the sound both ends extend as much as the track requires, if there is a deep abysmal bass there it is , if there is a flash reaching the top, that's how it will be represented, I don't think ibasso does much coloration in the sound but it offers what the track demands, it handles multiple sounds and layers perfectly, all this while maintaining a high technical level for which I think has an excellent balance between musicality and commitment :)

And about functionality - most bugs are squashed?

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #7,539 of 10,359
It’s funny that when I was looking to buy the Sennheiser HD700 most reviews said it was crap, bought it anyway and it sounded very good to my ears.

Same with Drop HD8XX, everyone was pulling their hair out on the tuning. I auditioned the the HD800s and preferred Drop’s tuning.

Next up was MEST with 80% of online reviews saying it is in-cohesive. Forged ahead and bought it anyway. This one was a real shocker because I personally believe it best most IEMs in the under $3000 range including one very popular IEM. I figure some can’t handle a crossover that doesn’t blend sound at the expense of sacrificing details, or a treble region that is resolving and extended and unforgiving to poor SE & Balanced output implementation.

My lesson learned is to first digest all the community feedback and understand how folks arrive at different conclusions. What in one reviewers view is a weakness may be in my view a key strength.

Some of what I have seen described as a weakness of the DX320 is what l find to be strengths. Uncoloured, not smooth, upper midrange presence, unexaggerated bass, to name a few.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #7,541 of 10,359
It’s funny that when I was looking to buy the Sennheiser HD700 most reviews said it was crap, bought it anyway and it sounded very good to my ears.

Same with Drop HD8XX, everyone was pulling their hair out on the tuning. I auditioned the the HD800s and preferred Drop’s tuning.

Next up was MEST with 80% of online reviews saying it is in-cohesive. Forged ahead and bought it anyway. This one was a real shocker because I personally believe it best most IEMs in the under $3000 range including one very popular IEM. I figure some can’t handle a crossover that doesn’t blend sound at the expense of sacrificing details, or a treble region that is resolving and extended and unforgiving to poor SE & Balanced output implementation.

My lesson learned is to first digest all the community feedback and understand how folks arrive at different conclusions. What in one reviewers view is a weakness may be in my view a key strength.

Some of what I have seen described as a weakness of the DX320 is what l find to be strengths. Uncoloured, not smooth, unexaggerated bass to name a few.
Amen.... This is one of the qualities that made me love Sennheiser phones (from yesteryear), and my OG Tinhifi P1, where a lot of people found them not to their liking.

BTW! I still have my HD700 from back when they were newly released. I agree, and still love them. I think they are going to pair with the Amp14 card well (I hope).

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #7,543 of 10,359
Amen.... This is one of the qualities that made me love Sennheiser phones (from yesteryear), and my OG Tinhifi P1, where a lot of people found them not to their liking.

BTW! I still have my HD700 from back when they were newly released. I agree, and still love them. I think they are going to pair with the Amp14 card well (I hope).

Wondering if SantaPaul will drop Amp 14 before Christmas 😁.

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #7,544 of 10,359
Wondering if SantaPaul will drop Amp 14 before Christmas 😁.
Not sure his elves can make it that fast (unless they have been doing it behind the scenes all this time).

Since we don't really have much detail on the specs, I am not sure it will be any time soon. I would bet, spring of this next year might be more realistic, though I would certainly be an early adopter if it should drop this month... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #7,545 of 10,359
I mentioned that the differences were rather small, its the source and my experiences with sources from similar level, show that when the differences are present, they are rather more subtle than between headphones. But they are hearable.
Actually i was IBasso fanboy because i always found that their players were very engaging. I preffered them over the AK players (you know that i sent back the sp1000 in favour of the dx300 with stock amp and the Kann Max in favour of the dx320). Im not criticizing the dx320, im just pointing what is lacking for me.
If IBasso improves the depth and dynamics of the sound, which i find to be better on M8, M9 and some AK players, we get a perfect sound profile. Also the stage could be moved bit farther from face, especially in mids, higher mids, thats all. I think its a piece of cake for IBasso engineers.
Nothing to be offended about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back