Meaning it slams harder
Way harder !
That's what I noticed immediately as difference when my DX300 arrived
But DX320 has Rohm and the Kann MAX is Quad DAC now
I'm thinking to upgrade my Kann Alpha to Kann MAX
Now I have a DAP shipped next week with Rohm and double NuTube + full Class A
But ... the big but ...
All is about synergy ... 🙏

Very helpful overview, the 8XX can use all the help it can get in the bass region, but it can also get very bright in the treble region and pairing with a bright DAP could be risky. Ideally I prefer a DAP on the warm side of neutral and with forward midrange, how is the DX300 with midrange presentation and soundstage?

Here is a review of the Kann Max for reference:
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/blog...r compact DAPs,and wifi and streaming talents.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #933 of 10,348
Very helpful overview, the 8XX can use all the help it can get in the bass region, but it can also get very bright in the treble region and pairing with a bright DAP could be risky. Ideally I prefer a DAP on the warm side of neutral and with forward midrange, how is the DX300 with midrange presentation and soundstage?
I'm still running my DX300 with Amp11 Mk II
Now I bought it used but the previous owner used it for about 2 hours since also bought a Chord Mojo 2
I noticed while using it this week the soundstage opened up
Now I can't say how it is with the Amp11 MK II or Amp12 running Balanced
I have a Brise Audio STR-7 Ref arriving but end of next month with some luck
And just bought a PW Audio Metropolis 4 wired 50's
Should be here next week
What I noticed with the AK Kann Alpha is running it Balanced it adds some additional Bass vs SE
So that might come in perfect in your case
Treble you can - if needed - adjust with EQ

May 22, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #934 of 10,348

Here is a review of the Kann Max for reference:
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/blogs/reviews/astell-kern-kann-max-digital-audio-player-review#:~:text=Compared to other compact DAPs,and wifi and streaming talents.
Seems like the dx300 fits your preferences basing on your description. Its warmish, natural and analog in sound. The bass goes to the max depth but only when the music calls for it (not like AK players whith boosted bass, always present in a music).
The staging on the dx300 is its strongest side. Very wide, deep with fantastic layering. Staging and separation are the hallmarks of iBasso.

May 22, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #935 of 10,348
Now I bought it used but the previous owner used it for about 2 hours since also bought a Chord Mojo 2
Should be here next week
What I noticed with the AK Kann Alpha is running it Balanced it adds some additional Bass vs SE
Yeah, the SE out is inferior to the balanced and the difference is quite striking, especially with iems. You need to go balanced to get what the dx300 is capable of.

May 22, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #936 of 10,348
Yeah, the SE out is inferior to the balanced and the difference is quite striking, especially with iems. You need to go balanced to get what the dx300 is capable of.
Almost ready
Was looking for my Balanced cable but don't have it here at the moment
So worst case 2 more weeks but that will make the DX300 should be close to the 100 hour mark

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #937 of 10,348
Should be here next week

EQ is an interesting proposition as I am planning to get Power Amp EQ if I go with the DX320. Does the Kann have systemwide EQ that works with streaming services? That would significant.

Seems like the dx300 fits your preferences basing on your description. Its warmish, natural and analog in sound. The bass goes to the max depth but only when the music calls for it (not like AK players whith boosted bass, always present in a music).
The staging on the dx300 is its strongest side. Very wide, deep with fantastic layering. Staging and separation are the hallmarks of iBasso.

That is the vibe I am also getting, that the DX320 is a better fit for my preferences. I can also use line out to a amp for driving the 8XX but that is an additional budget.

I have balanced cables handy for the 8XX but the iem’s are SE, I now have to decide what sacrifices I am ready to make. I can afford the purchase of both players but can’t afford to p..s off the wife.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #939 of 10,348
EQ is an interesting proposition as I am planning to get Power Amp EQ if I go with the DX320. Does the Kann have systemwide EQ that works with streaming services? That would significant.

That is the vibe I am also getting, that the DX320 is a better fit for my preferences. I can also use line out to a amp for driving the 8XX but that is an additional budget.

I have balanced cables handy for the 8XX but the iem’s are SE, I now have to decide what sacrifices I am ready to make. I can afford the purchase of both players but can’t afford to p..s off the wife.
Running my DX300 although with a budget 'budget' Balanced cable
Budget talking a NiceHCK 16 core High Purity Copper of $ 13.00
But there's a impressive sound difference !
Sound is now at least like my AK Kann Alpha
Bass extension is there and it slams as hard
This with the Amp11 MK II
Still need to try Amp12 but that should even sound better
IMG20220523001953-01.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #942 of 10,348
I have pre-ordered it too. felt like a month ago. I hope it's finally available now. I'm really sick of waiting longer!
And now you wouldn’t want it to come…because if it does, then you can not wait for it anymore 😂

May 23, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #943 of 10,348
And now you wouldn’t want it to come…because if it does, then you can not wait for it anymore 😂
Hah, thats true! After so many purchases and tries ive had last year, i definitely agree with this statement! The waiting is more exciting than the actual device itself. Thats the danger of this hobby.

May 23, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #944 of 10,348
Devenitif I can't agree with you. I don't have anything to listen to music at the moment. Alley Sold. My dealer here said it would definitely be available in May. But now I think it's just wishful thinking.

May 23, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #945 of 10,348
Hah, thats true! After so many purchases and tries ive had last year, i definitely agree with this statement! The waiting is more exciting than the actual device itself. Thats the danger of this hobby.

One of the perks of owning the DX320 is the waiting isn’t done when the DAP is in hand, the waiting continues for the nutube and other upgraded amps :sunglasses:.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back