DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #10,291 of 10,343
Seems that the "double tap screen to wake" option also has a non negligeable impact on battery life. Food for thought.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #10,292 of 10,343
If you use your DX320 on a daily basis, I wouldn't bother only charging your battery to 80%. It doesn't hurt lithium batteries to be charged to 100%. It only hurts (or diminishes overall life) when you charge it above 80% and don't use it for a while. Ideally though, if you aren't going to use it for a while (up to and including 5 years), you would want to charge/discharge any lithium battery to 50%. Even more ideally, you should store lithium batteries in some place cold like your refrigerator (but not below freezing), but unfortunately, the electronics in the DX320 don't like that one at all.... LOL
That is not correct. Charging your LiON battery to 100% accelerates the degradation faster than leaving it at 80% regardless of your usage pattern. iPhones for example will watch your usage pattern and charge to only to 80% when it thinks you don't need a full charge. While you are technically correct regarding temperature, it's minimally affected at normal temperature range. The WORST thing you an do to a LiON battery is pull it out of the fridge and immediately try to charge it at high current.

Something that is more common for DAPs than phones is leaving the DAP charging while in use. In that scenario it is very important to limit charging to 80%.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #10,293 of 10,343
That is not correct. Charging your LiON battery to 100% accelerates the degradation faster than leaving it at 80% regardless of your usage pattern. iPhones for example will watch your usage pattern and charge to only to 80% when it thinks you don't need a full charge. While you are technically correct regarding temperature, it's minimally affected at normal temperature range. The WORST thing you an do to a LiON battery is pull it out of the fridge and immediately try to charge it at high current.

Something that is more common for DAPs than phones is leaving the DAP charging while in use. In that scenario it is very important to limit charging to 80%.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries
I am not saying you are wrong here (technically you and the article are accurate), but contemporary devices with their "smart charging" circuits, don't actually charge their batteries to 100% when it says so. It is actually only charging to 80%. The same goes for when your device dies from low charge. It is not actually completely drained (nor really even dangerously low). Total discharge of a lithium battery is something that a lithium battery cannot recover from; brand new or otherwise.

I might also disagree with charging a cold battery as well. I store all of my RC car batteries in the "fridge" and charge them from the 50% that I leave them at right out of the fridge before the race, and I have a motorcycle that has a lithium battery. I frequently ride this bike even in winter time (I am NO fair weather rider haha). Though, I am sure there is an article somewhere that speaks to the contrary. :)

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #10,294 of 10,343
I am not saying you are wrong here (technically you and the article are accurate), but contemporary devices with their "smart charging" circuits, don't actually charge their batteries to 100% when it says so. It is actually only charging to 80%. The same goes for when your device dies from low charge. It is not actually completely drained (nor really even dangerously low). Total discharge of a lithium battery is something that a lithium battery cannot recover from; brand new or otherwise.

I might also disagree with charging a cold battery as well. I store all of my RC car batteries in the "fridge" and charge them from the 50% that I leave them at right out of the fridge before the race, and I have a motorcycle that has a lithium battery. I frequently ride this bike even in winter time (I am NO fair weather rider haha). Though, I am sure there is an article somewhere that speaks to the contrary. :)

Sure, if iBasso decided to call 80% charge 100%, then yes 80% charge limit is a pointless feature because that just lowers to 60% which does not give any meaningful long term benefits versus 80%. That being the case, why would iBasso implement the charge limit feature if the DX320 already limits to 80% in hardware? Alternatively, the Hugo2 does not have a selectable charge limit, but Chord has said you can keep it plugged in because it's in some "not charging/not discharging" state which can only mean there is some built in limit like you say.

I believe this was asked before when the DX320 first released but on this topic they said something like "there is overcharge protection, but we will release a charge limit feature in a future firmware update." If my memory is correct, overcharge protection just watches the voltage because exceeding the charge voltage will also degrade battery life with the possibility of a fire hazard to boot. This feature is in every LiON battery device in the US.

As for temps, this has more to do with mechanical expansion during charging. If your battery cycles from cold to hot to rapidly, you may damage the battery. My Tesla will not regenerate charge when the battery temp is below approx 52 deg F. I also cannot super charge below that temp, but if I use the navigation to the nearest charger, it will heat the batteries above the threshold so that I can super charge when I arrive. Of course if I used some really low amperage or "trickle charge", temp is mostly irrelevant because the battery will warm up gradually. That is what I meant by saying "high current" in my original post.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #10,295 of 10,343
Sure, if iBasso decided to call 80% charge 100%, then yes 80% charge limit is a pointless feature because that just lowers to 60% which does not give any meaningful long term benefits versus 80%. That being the case, why would iBasso implement the charge limit feature if the DX320 already limits to 80% in hardware? Alternatively, the Hugo2 does not have a selectable charge limit, but Chord has said you can keep it plugged in because it's in some "not charging/not discharging" state which can only mean there is some built in limit like you say.
Its all good, we could just say that we can respectfully agree to disagree here (hopefully in a friendly way)... :)
As for temps, this has more to do with mechanical expansion during charging. If your battery cycles from cold to hot to rapidly, you may damage the battery. My Tesla will not regenerate charge when the battery temp is below approx 52 deg F. I also cannot super charge below that temp, but if I use the navigation to the nearest charger, it will heat the batteries above the threshold so that I can super charge when I arrive. Of course if I used some really low amperage or "trickle charge", temp is mostly irrelevant because the battery will warm up gradually. That is what I meant by saying "high current" in my original post.
In the case you are talking about, you are absolutely correct, but your Tesla would take a whole lot more current to charge batteries than something like a 1/10 short course RC truck battery (maybe 2 amps or so for normal charge). I never charge those things with quick charge anyhow so there is not any sort of damaging current involved anyhow. With the DX, I DO quick charge, but it is always at room temperature. I don't want there to be any chance of condensation forming in the circuits by too rapidly changing temperatures (reaching a dew point).

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #10,296 of 10,343
Its all good, we could just say that we can respectfully agree to disagree here (hopefully in a friendly way)... :)
No worries, I don't feel there is disagreement on the "theory". We are both speculating on what DX320 has built into hardware battery charging limits. Until there is a definitive answer from DX320, we are all free to assume whatever makes sense to us. Personally, I enable 80% charge limit which gives me all the run time I need so whether it's actually 80% or 60% "real" charge doesn't matter to me. For those that wish they had the extra 20% in daily use, then it's a little more important.

I'm not a big risk taker myself when it comes to something I plan to own for a long time so I just assume the worse. In my Tesla's case I've pretty much stayed between the 80-20% charge and Tesla has made it clear "100% charge means 100% charge". Certainly a different case but there's an interesting story to this. Back when Tesla was selling the 60D series, you could pay Tesla another $3000 to unlock another 15 kWh of range with just a software update. Definitely auto charge limits! This didn't go over too well so only the 75D continued production. My battery warranty is for 8 years or 150K miles. Any guess what the guaranteed capacity is? Yep 80% although newer models dropped the percentage to 70%.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #10,297 of 10,343
No worries, I don't feel there is disagreement on the "theory". We are both speculating on what DX320 has built into hardware battery charging limits. Until there is a definitive answer from DX320, we are all free to assume whatever makes sense to us. Personally, I enable 80% charge limit which gives me all the run time I need so whether it's actually 80% or 60% "real" charge doesn't matter to me. For those that wish they had the extra 20% in daily use, then it's a little more important.
I'm glad that you feel that way as well. I value your comments, and wasn't trying to argue for arguments sake, like some on Head-Fi have been known to do... LOL As for me, the DX300, which is going on 3 years old (or may even have reached it by now), is still going strong. I personally don't even mind if I am wrong with this device because I am still getting about 12-14 hours with FLAC or higher files and using 382 upsample in Neutron player. This fills my daily work schedule requirement for music available at all times... haha

When the battery gives way, I will just order a new one and be happy knowing that I got many years of pleasure from the OG batteries.
Back when Tesla was selling the 60D series, you could pay Tesla another $3000 to unlock another 15 kWh of range with just a software update. Definitely auto charge limits! This didn't go over too well so only the 75D continued production. My battery warranty is for 8 years or 150K miles. Any guess what the guaranteed capacity is? Yep 80% although newer models dropped the percentage to 70%.
Oh that IS very interesting. Ford and Harley Davidson do something similar, in putting a common item behind a paywall.

While auto-start isn't in and of itself super cheap as an add-on, Ford installs all the hardware in the factory for all (at least) Explorers, regardless of package or tier. But you have to pay them anywhere from $300-$400 just to enable it, depending on the dealership you visit, just to connect their Ford software to the dongle in the SUV and tick a simple box in the FW on the ECM for it to work. THEN.... you have to pay another $200(ish) per or so to upgrade your fob because the OG one from the dealer doesn't have the remote start button. I was able to buy a knock-off from the internet that allows a (non Ford) laptop to plug into it, and I found a clone, open source copy of the software that they use for this. Then, I found some knock-off fobs (also online) for a fraction of the price. :)

Harley does something even more lame. Once I was building a LED light bar that would strobe to the beat of whatever song was playing from the radio of my Street Glide. Rather than connect it to the front speakers (and possibly introduce noise or diminish the sound coming from the existing speakers), I decided to use the rear channels for this because I had nothing connected to it. Well, I found out that I would have had to take my bike to the shop, and they would charge me $200 to simply interface with the stereo, only to enable the rear channels. That *issed me off so much that I ended up calling my son (who is a Harley mechanic), and it took him about 20 minutes to do it (only because he had to take the front part of the faring off, it only took 3 minutes to actually interface and turn it on).

I really abhor companies that put stupid stuff behind paywalls simply to gouge people for more money.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #10,298 of 10,343
There are some pretty good android apps that can find rogue apps for you, because sometimes they are hard to isolate and get rid of (e.g. the app itself might now show up as running in the background, but some odd service that it installed might). Hope you get it solved. :)

Also, if you didn't see on my last post, I put a P.S. (edit) that has some tips as well. :)
Thanks for all the help! I got rid of an old app that might have been draining the battery a bit. Not completely sure until I test again.
Do you recommend a certain app to analyze the 320? I'm afraid to just look for one on the play store because there might be a dozen that pop up that will just bombard with ads and maybe just make the battery drain worse lol

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #10,299 of 10,343
Thanks for all the help! I got rid of an old app that might have been draining the battery a bit. Not completely sure until I test again.
Do you recommend a certain app to analyze the 320? I'm afraid to just look for one on the play store because there might be a dozen that pop up that will just bombard with ads and maybe just make the battery drain worse lol
You are welcome!

You might want to search the net for the answer to that, because I haven't had need for one for a long time. But one of the big ones back then was Greenify. I don't know if anything has changed since then, but it DOES have over 10million + downloads.... And it can work with or without having root access (though there are a lot more options if you have root). It does everything from uninstalling apps while backing them up so that you can "restore" them later (including the system ones that aren't normally able to be uninstalled) to analyzing app usage for battery optimization, and much more IIRC... :)

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #10,300 of 10,343
Hi, I want to ask which firmware version sounds best, I heard that sound varies based on fw ? Or should I just use the latest one?
And is it ok to always charge the dx320 because I mostly use it at home. Thanks

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #10,301 of 10,343
Someone says that they are different sound of different fw. Someone says that it is good to do 10 resets and 20 restarts after the fw update. To me the sound is the same. I have the latest fw and I didn't reset it..

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #10,302 of 10,343
Someone says that they are different sound of different fw. Someone says that it is good to do 10 resets and 20 restarts after the fw update. To me the sound is the same. I have the latest fw and I didn't reset it..
Same.

As an ex software tester, if the companies I worked for tried to release firmware that required these ridiculous measures to make sure an update worked, I would have left way before I did.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #10,303 of 10,343
Same.

As an ex software tester, if the companies I worked for tried to release firmware that required these ridiculous measures to make sure an update worked, I would have left way before I did.

There's a big difference between what consumers do for perceived benefit and what actually is necessary.

I've only had to reset 1 or 2 times with every FW update. Not 10 to 20. I don't judge those who feel the SQ improves after multiple resets. However, it's neither mandatory nor necessarily true that there is any sonic difference.

Same goes with Hiby, Shanling, and Sony. Having to reset once or twice after a FW update can make a functional difference. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back