DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #7,351 of 10,347
This pitch black background
Unfortunately, there is such a thing as artificial black. It is when you hear vacuum where there should be micro ambiance of the recording at all times. I'm not talking about noise level. I'm talking about venue size or recording reverberant end to judge the size and parameter of the soundstage. Whether it trails off, or hits a wall. When you do not have this, you have a false pitch black background. This loss of micro-information comes from opamp overdone feedback, in order to get a "cleaner " sound. Sorry for your loss...

Dec 6, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #7,352 of 10,347
Unfortunately, there is such a thing as artificial black. It is when you hear vacuum where there should be micro ambiance of the recording at all times. I'm not talking about noise level. I'm talking about venue size or recording reverberant end to judge the size and parameter of the soundstage. Whether it trails off, or hits a wall. When you do not have this, you have a false pitch black background. This loss of micro-information comes from opamp overdone feedback, in order to get a "cleaner " sound. Sorry for your loss...
Thanks to this black background im able to trace all the reverberations more clearly. I feel more space too. Still dont feel like im losing anything.
If this blackness is an engineering mistake, then guys from AK and Shanling are doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #7,353 of 10,347
Well i believe you but i also know that you use the dx320 mainly as a source to your tube amplifier, paired with the hd800s. At least what i remembered when i was more active in this thread (maybe something changed, dunno). So yes, as a transparent, linear source, with a true balanced line out- im taking the dx320 in a heartbeat. As a dap used exclusively with a hardcore harman tuned iems (yes im a fan of harman target), not for me. But hey, its very likely that we will meet in a thread about another IBasso dap, and maybe for longer:wink:
Negative, I use Dx320 as a source to feed my desktop amplifier in order to do a comparison and post impressions on it line out performances. I listen to Dx320 mostly as is and as a portable unit. Why should I be feeding Dx320 into my desktop amp when I have a completed PC Desktop system from the ground up ?
I have heard many, many daps. I find the 320 deep, if the recording is done that way. Even flat if the recording is that way. And holographic, if a good recording. But what we are hearing apparently is totally different.
I am with John, I have listened, built, tinkered, modified a lot of stuff including Stax systems, M8 and M30, DMP Z1. The Dx320 is a total flagship DAP, which is comparable to others 2X the price or higher, and there is no question about it. Sound signature will be personal preferences , like M8 is warmer and more musical Vs 320 which is more into clarity and neutrality. But it is completely wrong to call it mediocre

Dec 6, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #7,355 of 10,347
Negative, I use Dx320 as a source to feed my desktop amplifier in order to do a comparison and post impressions on it line out performances. I listen to Dx320 mostly as is and as a portable unit. Why should I be feeding Dx320 into my desktop amp when I have a completed PC Desktop system from the ground up ?

I am with John, I have listened, built, tinkered, modified a lot of stuff including Stax systems, M8 and M30, DMP Z1. The Dx320 is a total flagship DAP, which is comparable to others 2X the price or higher, and there is no question about it. Sound signature will be personal preferences , like M8 is warmer and more musical Vs 320 which is more into clarity and neutrality. But it is completely wrong to call it mediocre
I dont want to go this route and compare the dx320 vs M8 calling one better than the other because i know this is personal. Im just saying what was lacking in dx320 FOR ME only. The M8 has things i like and the dx320 didnt have them. But i also mentioned that the dx320 has more realistic timbre. As IBasso fan boy i would appreciate some changes in tuning with their next players, i have full right to express it.
I feel like people here sometimes behave like the dx320 is on the top of the dap world and it clearly isnt. Its great but i feel that there are some things to improve in overall sophistication of sonic presentation. And IBasso team also know it. You will all see that the next player will be better, its obvious.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #7,356 of 10,347
If this blackness is an engineering mistake, then guys from AK and Shanling are doing something wrong
Correct, other high end solid state amp companies did this as well, and you can tell low level differences most strikingly when compare them side-by-side with a high end tube amp.
I can point out other non-optimal technicalities about those mentioned units, but that is not a proper thing, to crap on other manufacturers who strive hard to make such units, just like ibasso.
Pointing out aspects that are preferable is better than knocking things down. Everyone has their own perspective and tastes.

Yet "Vacuum blackness" in music, is most commonly a loss of low level resolution, well known as a aspect in feedback (which opamps use), but never was a big issue with desktop systems.

Unfortunately today we are talking about IEMs that can easily percieve noise floor and extreme low levels, so yes , there will be the detection of this false black vaccum of space, like an artificial polished clean blackness, whenever there is noticable usage of feedback, so yes sorry for your micro loss. Also, as they say, "ignorance is bliss" and so yes It can be a wonderful preference choice, as preferences will change over the life of a user and their ears. Ears keep growing, as well as different inner ear and eventual hearing loss & sensitivity.
As a side note, I think the IEM market is on a good path with using bone conduction, which bypasses the ear drum and adds to the palpability of the presence in music...

Lastly, everything I just wrote is only my perspective, as everyone will experience differently, and the key in deciphering, is to gather the "common consensus" of any unit, not any one person's perspective.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #7,357 of 10,347
I dont want to go this route and compare the dx320 vs M8 calling one better than the other because i know this is personal. Im just saying what was lacking in dx320 FOR ME only. The M8 has things i like and the dx320 didnt have them. But i also mentioned that the dx320 has more realistic timbre. As IBasso fan boy i would appreciate some changes in tuning with their next players, i have full right to express it.
I feel like people here sometimes behave like the dx320 is on the top of the dap world and it clearly isnt. Its great but i feel that there are some things to improve in overall sophistication of sonic presentation. And IBasso team also know it. You will all see that the next player will be better, its obvious.
With everything, there has to be a way to improve it, and if you can not find a way to improve it, you find a way to water down the current production so then the next successor can be improved upon. I am familiar with these game plans. In reality, a newer products will always be better.

Having my Dx320 X here Amp11Muse-XF , also WM1Z M2 with internal Pure gold upgrades, and I am thinking about selling this WM1Z more and more. The only reason I am still keeping it here is because it battery will be here for years, and Ibasso, as much as other China based DAP, will have battery degradations.

So, is Ibasso 320 mediocre to me ? Definitely not. How about stock form comparison ? Amazingly Dx320 outperform Dx300, N8ii, in turn that N8ii outperforming mode of other flagship I knew. However, 1ZM2 driving IER-Z1R has an amazing analog signature with realism, warmth and for this alone, I would say that 1ZM2 stock do out performing Dx320 Stock (personal preferences) is a key role here.

1EB39426-DAC2-4D91-A922-CAC0114ACC9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #7,358 of 10,347
With everything, there has to be a way to improve it, and if you can not find a way to improve it, you find a way to water down the current production so then the next successor can be improved upon. I am familiar with these game plans. In reality, a newer products will always be better.

Having my Dx320 X here Amp11Muse-XF , also WM1Z M2 with internal Pure gold upgrades, and I am thinking about selling this WM1Z more and more. The only reason I am still keeping it here is because it battery will be here for years, and Ibasso, as much as other China based DAP, will have battery degradations.

So, is Ibasso 320 mediocre to me ? Definitely not. How about stock form comparison ? Amazingly Dx320 outperform Dx300, N8ii, in turn that N8ii outperforming mode of other flagship I knew. However, 1ZM2 driving IER-Z1R has an amazing analog signature with realism, warmth and for this alone, I would say that 1ZM2 stock do out performing Dx320 Stock (personal preferences) is a key role here.

1EB39426-DAC2-4D91-A922-CAC0114ACC9C.jpeg
That’s a good point - re the Sony. Will likely last twice if not three times longer than the other DAPs as the cycles of the battery will be way way less

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #7,359 of 10,347
. However, 1ZM2 driving IER-Z1R has an amazing analog signature

I found that obvious analog signature more prominent than all other daps own signatures. It kept me in an owners bliss with the euphoric analog flavor. Looking back now, it is a heavy euphoric flavor, aside and apart from the resolution level.

I also found a euphoric sense in other Daps:
220max - large image lively and clarity of the trebles.
300max - layered richness and liveliness plus slightgreater resolve.
dx300 - relaxed and narural/slight wood tonality.
dx320 - dynamics, greater resolve, clarity and liveliness with less tonality (analytical nature).

The caveat that set the dx300 & 320 apart was the amp boards. Stock sounds, to richer mod sounds on amp11& 12, to latest amp13 mods which gave grander sound, to finally latest "amp11Muse-XF" mod which gave most holography, and I didn't try the other amp12 opamp upgrade yet.

So although I was impressed by n8ii in past, and lastly the hiby RS8 which I found to be sonically flawless, I am not moved from the dx320. To me it was even an upgrade from the 300max.
I am set on my moded amp board and will likely try an am13mod in future, as I wasn't impressed by stock amp13. So waiting to see what ibasso responds with in future. It will take alot for me to move away from the dx320.

On another note, if Ibasso made the dx320 Firmware to have a slight more expansive sound, it may get closer to perfection .

All my comments above, are not to be taken as any "final say" or determination, as they are my impressions only, of which no one person has same perspective. Yet hopefully it would help others with a greater consensus of perspectives in general.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #7,360 of 10,347
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #7,363 of 10,347
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #7,364 of 10,347
Testing a new headphone today. Gotta say, I'm impressed with what Moondrop did here with the Venus. Sounds great even with the Amp13.
IMG_20221207_155413.jpg

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #7,365 of 10,347
Sweet! 80% charging limit for battery saver! Also cleaned up dark screen mode - now I can clearly see the toolbar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back