DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #7,336 of 10,347
Rigatio's experience is something i've experienced with the DX320 X edition with AMP12.

When paired with the Softears Turii Ti, the mids are pushed forward aggressively to the point of almost being "in your face".
When the Turii Ti was paired with the Dethonray DTR1+, the mids are well placed a good distance away.

With the Sennheiser IE900, on both DX320 X and Dethonray DTR1+, the mids placement are equally a good distance away.

Synergy may well be a serious consideration at play here. The way the source is tuned coupled with how the iem frequency range is tuned, would create either a good harmony or miss-mash. Not to mention the music library, recording quality etc, plays a part to a certain degree.

And of course, we all hear differently. So i'm guessing keeping a few iems and daps, to have better pairings is in order.
Pairing and synergies is always the problems. It is just that when you put it one way for “Ibasso problems” and Ibasso has to fix it. That is just wrong, and will misguide the other people who is reading this very thread to get some clues about Ibasso stuff

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #7,337 of 10,347
Pairing and synergies is always the problems. It is just that when you put it one way for “Ibasso problems” and Ibasso has to fix it. That is just wrong, and will misguide the other people who is reading this very thread to get some clues about Ibasso stuff

this is definitely not an ibasso issue. It's an issue with every dap out there.

Which is why a brand like hiby is smartly adding iem profiles into their daps, to improve the synergies with some iems.
it solves the situation somewhat if we own those iems, but there's a sea of iems out there, and this will always be the challenge of the hobby.

Why people switch their iems, and later switch their daps, is exactly due to less than ideal pairings along the journey.
So some dap and iem makers will benefit from this switching, while others won't. it really is, what it is.

I'd just rather go back to discussing over how incredible the DX320 X sounds with the AMP12 and how sexy it looks.
And figure out along the way, which iems sound better with them. Currently, the sennheiser IE900, IE600 and Venture Electronics Grand Duke, are killing it with the DX320amp12.

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #7,338 of 10,347
this is definitely not an ibasso issue. It's an issue with every dap out there.

Which is why a brand like hiby is smartly adding iem profiles into their daps, to improve the synergies with some iems.
it solves the situation somewhat if we own those iems, but there's a sea of iems out there, and this will always be the challenge of the hobby.

Why people switch their iems, and later switch their daps, is exactly due to less than ideal pairings along the journey.
So some dap and iem makers will benefit from this switching, while others won't. it really is, what it is.

I'd just rather go back to discussing over how incredible the DX320 X sounds with the AMP12 and how sexy it looks.
And figure out along the way, which iems sound better with them. Currently, the sennheiser IE900, IE600 and Venture Electronics Grand Duke, are killing it with the DX320amp12.
Exactly it! And hence it is a very personal issues

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #7,339 of 10,347
Unfortunately live music is not tame, laid-back, recessed, or distant. Live music is dynamic and clean. Live music also in the mids, not the trebles or subbass.

Yet music players is a preference choice. When you have a player like a Sony, for example, you are stuck with a signature sound.
In contrast, when you have an analytical and more neutral sound, you are less bound by any signature, and a side effect is also some more clarity.

The Ibasso still has the most variability because of this. You can still buy an amp13, or customize the amp more for different signatures like those your referring to, and also change music player, as Mango is a bit less forward, And Neutron is a bit more forward. Also the gain setting also can have differences.

But Ideally you want a pure source for your IEMs& headphones. The use of headphones/IEM are where want to choose your preferences in sound, NOT the source (player).
When you choose a tainted player with a certain signature, you limit everything you use, to the "sound" of this player.

Choosing a "tainted" source was a "reverse" thinking, and why I finally left from Sony WM1Z "analog" sound, to a more neutral player. The key moment was when I did a side-by-side of the WM1Z with an Ibasso 220max. Even though the 220max was in itself not the most neutral, I realized then, just how much artificial "processing" of sound the Sony was introducing. It actually was producing effects that did not exist in the source music(!). I realized then it was artificial beauty. A sad day of realization.Then, what sealed the deal for me, was noticing a bit more details and realism in the most upper registers. The Sony, especially with the "Mr Walkman" firmware, was the most seductive sound I ever heard in a player, but I was snapped out of it, by ibasso. Since then I crave realism more than anything. 🙂

I think you pulled those thoughts straight from my head :slight_smile:.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #7,341 of 10,347
OYes, with the Monarchs 2, Kinera Nanna, Ibasso IT07, UM Mest, even Hook X. The mids and especially vocals are like 2cm from my face, where on M8 for example, they are a couple steps back, clean and clear on a stage. Similarly with Kann Max or Shanling M9.
Is it an issue in general? No, its not, but for me its just not fully linear and safe. The timbre- perfect! The microdetail dynamics- perfect! But its just too close to my face and i am definitely not alone in these observations.
It just lacks depth to the sound. If this would be changed, i would definitely consider coming back to IBasso because i trust them and always loved their players.
I recommend also adding the Etymotic ER4SR to your collection. I use it to keep my other gear honest.

BTW, Mest MK1 & MK2 are known to have a very recessed upper midrange region and soundstages better than most other IEM’s, I am somewhat surprised you find MEST to be mid centric and intimate.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #7,342 of 10,347
I recommend also adding the Etymotic ER4SR to your collection. I use it to keep my other gear honest.

BTW, Mest MK1 & MK2 are known to have a very recessed upper midrange region and soundstages better than most other IEM’s, I am somewhat surprised you find MEST to be mid centric and intimate.
Thanx for the advice!
I dont have the Mest, i tried them for an extended listen and i will not buy them because they sound like MESS in comparison to the Monarchs 2. They sound disjointed and oversaturated in comparison. Just too tiring and unnatural for me at least. They were better with the M8 but i prefer Monarchs tonal balance.
Im very sensitive to unevenness in tuning thats why i was jumping so chaotically between daps and iems. Ive found my portable rig which is M8+Monarchs 2 and im very happy.
Still looking forward for the next IBasso dap even tho the Shanling H7 looks very promising.

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #7,343 of 10,347
I also love how 320X sounds with IE900
It’s a great pair
I haven’t tried Turii
How do you like turii @kenz

It's a dilemma for me.

When i first tried the Turii Ti, it was with the dethonray DTR1+ player.
Less colored, clear imaging, large staging, and good amount of distance and air in-between, instruments and vocals. Loved it.

Subsequently, i tried the Turii Ti with the ibasso DX320 X with amp12.
More colored, same imaging but less vivid, and still good amount of air in-between but the presentation became lush instead of clear.
But the mids, especially vocals, became too forward for comfort and the instruments were slightly behind the vocals.

It was the exact same demo Turii Ti i auditioned, but it sounded like totally different between players.
It was high on my list when i first heard it, and disappointed after the next audition.

Unlike the Sennheiser IE900, which kept it's character intact regardless of player i tried it with, the Turii Ti was like a chameleon, changing its colors and character with change of players. This is an absolute deal-breaker behaviour for an iem, in my view.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #7,344 of 10,347
I dont think IBasso needs to fix anything (maybe the layering and soundtstage depth)
I find micro transients and dynamics more on the dx320, which gives me more depth layering than previous players tried, but I feel your impressions describes more about forwardness or laid back presentations. The dx320 has a bit more forward nature over the dx300 & 300max, and yet it changes to a toss up when switching players.

The issue with all players is that the forward or laid back nature does not affect or help with the image layering/space/placement in the soundstage. In fact a common issue with the more grand or "bigger soundstage "images in players, is that the whole image is pushed back distanced but still flat and limited in holographic.

The best players will be more holographic (not flat), regardless whether they are perceived as neutral, forward, or laid back.
So far this dx320 I feel is superior in holography to previous dac chips and other past topologies.

Also, the latest AKM chip (as in the AK3000) separates it's front end, to two chips, but technically I do not see that as an improvement (rather a novelty), until their next evolution.
With LeSabre, I haven't even seen any dap use anything newer than the one in fiio m17 which is not even considered better than orlder AKM.

Also older R2R daps were very solid (like LP6), but still not good enough, as they had linearity of "placement" in soundstage, but holography was still not as lively as the the Daps with last AKM chips, which were all better than anything before, until the ROHM Daps, and now with latest HiBy RS8.

In my personal opinion, after hearing the RS8 today, it is the ONLY dap that can surpass all the others.

the dx320 is more involving than daps with AKM chips, having a bit more holography with more depth of stage, evenly done (not flat).
The ROHM chips are superior to AKM.

My observation may differ from others, but IMO, there is only three stepping stones for DAPs with actual good everything. The rest of Daps out there are good, but are going to be a waste of finances. It is currently the dx320 and then n8ii, and then RS8 that rule.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #7,345 of 10,347
I find micro transients and dynamics more on the dx320, which gives me more depth layering than previous players tried, but I feel your impressions describes more about forwardness or laid back presentations. The dx320 has a bit more forward nature over the dx300 & 300max, and yet it changes to a toss up when switching players.

The issue with all players is that the forward or laid back nature does not affect or help with the image layering/space/placement in the soundstage. In fact a common issue with the more grand or "bigger soundstage "images in players, is that the whole image is pushed back distanced but still flat and limited in holographic.

The best players will be more holographic (not flat), regardless whether they are perceived as neutral, forward, or laid back.
So far this dx320 I feel is superior in holography to previous dac chips and other past topologies.

Also, the latest AKM chip (as in the AK3000) separates it's front end, to two chips, but technically I do not see that as an improvement (rather a novelty), until their next evolution.
With LeSabre, I haven't even seen any dap use anything newer than the one in fiio m17 which is not even considered better than orlder AKM.

Also older R2R daps were very solid (like LP6), but still not good enough, as they had linearity of "placement" in soundstage, but holography was still not as lively as the the Daps with last AKM chips, which were all better than anything before, until the ROHM Daps, and now with latest HiBy RS8.
In my personal opinion, after hearing the RS8 today, it is the ONLY dap that can surpass the dx320 by having it's holography with more depth of stage, evenly done (not flat). None other has done this at this level. My observation may differ from others, but IMO, there is only two stepping stones for DAPs with actual good holography. It is currently the dx320 and then RS8 that rule.
I think that the dx320 has mediocre layering and soundstage depth. Its rather flat in how it portrays the overall sound depth. You can even find my impressions in posts i posted when i switched from the Kann Max to the dx320 a couple months ago. I wrote there that the Kann Max has superior and more sophisticated layering than the dx320. The dx320 was just flat in comparison but had better timbre and transients (higher end dacs) thats why i switched back to the dx320. The dynamics were rather bland on the IBasso too. If it wasnt for sharp ESS hights on the Kann Max, i would stay with this player. But overall im happy because i ended up with the M8 which has everything plus the typical for higher end AK daps black-holed-background. This pitch black background was also lacking on the dx320. It had a very silent background but im talking about this characteristic vacuum which is a part of the sound reproduction.
Overall i still think that IBasso did a great job in ROHM implementation. The timbre is very beautiful and realistic. The rest could be more refined for me but they will make it, the next IBasso dap will definitely be on my radar.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #7,346 of 10,347
I think that the dx320 has mediocre layering and soundstage depth. Its rather flat in how it portrays the overall sound depth. You can even find my impressions in posts i posted when i switched from the Kann Max to the dx320 a couple months ago. I wrote there that the Kann Max has superior and more sophisticated layering than the dx320. The dx320 was just flat in comparison but had better timbre and transients (higher end dacs) thats why i switched back to the dx320. The dynamics were rather bland on the IBasso too. If it wasnt for sharp ESS hights on the Kann Max, i would stay with this player. But overall im happy because i ended up with the M8 which has everything plus the typical for higher end AK daps black-holed-background. This pitch black background was also lacking on the dx320. It had a very silent background but im talking about this characteristic vacuum which is a part of the sound reproduction.
Overall i still think that IBasso did a great job in ROHM implementation. The timbre is very beautiful and realistic. The rest could be more refined for me but they will make it, the next IBasso dap will definitely be on my radar.
That is very wrong to call dx320 to be mediocre in those areas. Coming from my experiences, the dx320 is pretty much top tier flagship players that is even competing against others 2X the prices. Personal subjective preferences will be a key factor here, but we all know that preferences will changes overtimes with “experiences”

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #7,347 of 10,347
That is very wrong to call dx320 to be mediocre in those areas. Coming from my experiences, the dx320 is pretty much top tier flagship players that is even competing against others 2X the prices. Personal subjective preferences will be a key factor here, but we all know that preferences will changes overtimes with “experiences”
I listen directly out of the 320 and as a source and there is no way, IMO, that is flat or anywhere near that. There is good depth and layering and audience on live recordings is well placed in distance.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #7,348 of 10,347
Well i believe you but i also know that you use the dx320 mainly as a source to your tube amplifier, paired with the hd800s. At least what i remembered when i was more active in this thread (maybe something changed, dunno). So yes, as a transparent, linear source, with a true balanced line out- im taking the dx320 in a heartbeat. As a dap used exclusively with a hardcore harman tuned iems (yes im a fan of harman target), not for me. But hey, its very likely that we will meet in a thread about another IBasso dap, and maybe for longer:wink:

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #7,349 of 10,347
I listen directly out of the 320 and as a source and there is no way, IMO, that is flat or anywhere near that. There is good depth and layering and audience on live recordings is well placed in distance.
I will maybe clarify myself. The dx320 is not flat, its just flatter than other daps ive tried, thats all. So your impressions are valid- i believe you that you hear all the layers, ive heard them too. But i like deeper staging.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #7,350 of 10,347
I will maybe clarify myself. The dx320 is not flat, its just flatter than other daps ive tried, thats all. So your impressions are valid- i believe you that you hear all the layers, ive heard them too. But i like deeper staging.
I have heard many, many daps. I find the 320 deep, if the recording is done that way. Even flat if the recording is that way. And holographic, if a good recording. But what we are hearing apparently is totally different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back