DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #7,321 of 10,348
Many people are tuned to what the producers of music think is ideal and go off of that. Live music, amplified well or acoustical is my gauge and why I prefer the iBasso, most of the time. It delivers what I hear in real space in real time, to the greatest degree of what I have heard. It has the vibrancy and emotion of real music. But many have trained their ears to all recorded sound of the digital era. Some not and some just prefer a more laid back sound but to me, that isn't the music I hear on good venues.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #7,322 of 10,348
Lacking power ? That isn’t dx320 faults. Try and plug a Sennheiser 800s into iPad 3.5 port. You get the same result. It may not work for your application, but it isn’t Ibasso fault or the player fault. I don’t see why Ibasso should fix what isn’t broken ? And if it isn’t broken, what exactly is there to fix ?

If we simply talk about amplifiers tuning then the Dx320 is Modular for a reason, and that is to match the signature you desires the most. Sound is subjective, and it is all cool that you like M8, but calling out for Ibasso to be “fixing subjective stuff ?” I would have to ask how ?
No i didnt mention the lack of power, dx320 has enough of it. Im purely thinking of tuning. For me it isnt perfectly linear. The lack of bass depth and punch and too forward mids/upper mids. And i dont think its an issue per se. Its just how IBasso tunes their recent players (the dx220 was more linear in mids and even tho it was more clinical and raw in notes, it was less fatiguing, at least for me). I dont think IBasso needs to fix anything (maybe the layering and soundtstage depth), im just personally not a fan of this kind of presentation, a personal thing. But they are able to tune their devices differently, and this is what the dx220 showed in the past.
Many of you here use the dx320 as a source for external amps, im not interested in such solution, otherwise i would invest more in a high end desktop system.
Again, no hate towards IBasso and none of you should feel offended as we arent talking personal and sensitive things, its just a portable player.
I really like the dx320's natural ROHM timbre and density but its just too pushed in mids and when i want to hear more bass impact, which would balanced the sound more, the mids are becoming aggressive and the vocals start shouting at me. And it isnt only my observation. Its a very engaging tuning but only for 1h, then it starts showing its weaknesses.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #7,323 of 10,348
No i didnt mention the lack of power, dx320 has enough of it. Im purely thinking of tuning. For me it isnt perfectly linear. The lack of bass depth and punch and too forward mids/upper mids. And i dont think its an issue per se. Its just how IBasso tunes their recent players (the dx220 was more linear in mids and even tho it was more clinical and raw in notes, it was less fatiguing, at least for me). I dont think IBasso needs to fix anything (maybe the layering and soundtstage depth), im just personally not a fan of this kind of presentation, a personal thing. But they are able to tune their devices differently, and this is what the dx220 showed in the past.
Many of you here use the dx320 as a source for external amps, im not interested in such solution, otherwise i would invest more in a high end desktop system.
Again, no hate towards IBasso and none of you should feel offended as we arent talking personal and sensitive things, its just a portable player.
I really like the dx320's natural ROHM timbre and density but its just too pushed in mids and when i want to hear more bass impact, which would balanced the sound more, the mids are becoming aggressive and the vocals start shouting at me. And it isnt only my observation. Its a very engaging tuning but only for 1h, then it starts showing its weaknesses.

Is this relative to some specific iem where you find a poor pair up synergy with dx320? Because, like other who already mentioned above, I don't find any lack of bass or mid forwardness with dx320 and iems I'm listening to.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #7,324 of 10,348
Is this relative to some specific iem where you find a poor pair up synergy with dx320? Because, like other who already mentioned above, I don't find any lack of bass or mid forwardness with dx320 and iems I'm listening to.
Yes, with the Monarchs 2, Kinera Nanna, Ibasso IT07, UM Mest, even Hook X. The mids and especially vocals are like 2cm from my face, where on M8 for example, they are a couple steps back, clean and clear on a stage. Similarly with Kann Max or Shanling M9.
Is it an issue in general? No, its not, but for me its just not fully linear and safe. The timbre- perfect! The microdetail dynamics- perfect! But its just too close to my face and i am definitely not alone in these observations.
It just lacks depth to the sound. If this would be changed, i would definitely consider coming back to IBasso because i trust them and always loved their players.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #7,325 of 10,348
Yes, with the Monarchs 2, Kinera Nanna, Ibasso IT07, UM Mest, even Hook X. The mids and especially vocals are like 2cm from my face, where on M8 for example, they are a couple steps back, clean and clear on a stage. Similarly with Kann Max or Shanling M9.
Is it an issue in general? No, its not, but for me its just not fully linear and safe. The timbre- perfect! The microdetail dynamics- perfect! But its just too close to my face and i am definitely not alone in these observations.
It just lacks depth to the sound. If this would be changed, i would definitely consider coming back to IBasso because i trust them and always loved their players.
I don't get that at all. I don't like in my face sound.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #7,327 of 10,348
My friend who has the dx320 for a while just received an used M8 a couple days ago and hes letting the dx320 go because of the tuning style im mentioning
Some would also call that move, as looking for Synergy, for holding onto an imperfect IEM or headphone. I believe the Sony is way better at that, than the M8.

I really like the dx320's natural ROHM timbre and density but its just too pushed in mids and when i want to hear more bass impact, which would balanced the sound more, the mids are becoming aggressive and the vocals start shouting at me. And it isnt only my observation. Its a very engaging tuning but only for 1h, then it starts showing its weaknesses...
Yes, with the Monarchs 2, Kinera Nanna, Ibasso IT07, UM Mest, even Hook X. The mids and especially vocals are like 2cm from my face
To me, the issues mentioned are really synergy. You needed to try non forward IEMs with better soundstage, like U12T or Mest Indigo, (not older Mest). Especially the U12T, as it uses modules for different bass and depth adjustments.

You could have modified the amp13 for less $$ lost, than changing DAPs. Stock amp is meant to be analytical. You could chance the loss of resolve of micro-dynamics/timbre, (as you mentioned dx320 strong points) by downgrading or side-grade to another unit.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #7,329 of 10,348
I don't get that at all. I don't like in my face sound.

Same here

Maybe he's doing it wrong 🤔

4u16usl329d01.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #7,332 of 10,348
Some would also call that move, as looking for Synergy, for holding onto an imperfect IEM or headphone. I believe the Sony is way better at that, than the M8.

To me, the issues mentioned are really synergy. You needed to try non forward IEMs with better soundstage, like U12T or Mest Indigo, (not older Mest). Especially the U12T, as it uses modules for different bass and depth adjustments.

You could have modified the amp13 for less $$ lost, than changing DAPs. Stock amp is meant to be analytical. You could chance the loss of resolve of micro-dynamics/timbre, (as you mentioned dx320 strong points) by downgrading or side-grade to another unit.
Thats all true what you mentioned. But for me, using the u12t is more like fixing the source because they have scooped higher mids. The Monarchs are better tuned in this regard and i found them sounding perfect with every source i plugged them into. Only with dx300/320 they were too intensive but still listenable.
Anyways, gonna stop here because many people here are going to be upset. Enjoy the dx320 its a great player.

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #7,333 of 10,348
Lcd-5 has very mid forward sound but with dx320 they are not horrible in my face, just sounds right…
I’m also bought pair of iems - kennerton rig (planars) - maaan so beautiful and powerful synergy…

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #7,334 of 10,348
320x is good synergy with overears, plenty of power, space and energy. But a little lacks gentleness. That’s the nature of this Dap, and I like it! For other things I have SP3K

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #7,335 of 10,348
Rigatio's experience is something i've experienced with the DX320 X edition with AMP12.

When paired with the Softears Turii Ti, the mids are pushed forward aggressively to the point of almost being "in your face".
When the Turii Ti was paired with the Dethonray DTR1+, the mids are well placed a good distance away.

With the Sennheiser IE900, on both DX320 X and Dethonray DTR1+, the mids placement are equally a good distance away.

Synergy may well be a serious consideration at play here. The way the source is tuned coupled with how the iem frequency range is tuned, would create either a good harmony or miss-mash. Not to mention the music library, recording quality etc, plays a part to a certain degree.

And of course, we all hear differently. So i'm guessing keeping a few iems and daps, to have better pairings is in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back