DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Apr 23, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #961 of 13,478
So what's with the internals, I want specifics? And comparisons on sound. And all these interfaces are secondary. Sound is important. Already 2 weeks have passed from the 3 and specifics zero!!! In General, this dx220 is nothing more than a "Schrödenger cat":triportsad:

Same DAC as DX200 but with improved sub components. Expect refinement instead of major sound change.

Apr 23, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #963 of 13,478
I'm using the X5-III at the moment. Looking to replace it with the DX220 (most likely), and then sell off the FiiO for $100 to a co-worker, or just give to the girly friend or something.

You should see a huge leap in both sonics and software / overall player usage :)

X7mkii was FiiO's DAP that was designed to be their flagship, like DX200, but going from X5-3 to DX200 will be like a whole new world, I'd say :)

I can name a number of mid-fi (not even flagship level) DAPs that sound better than X5iii (congested sound, high noise floor, etc). Going to DX220 will be quite a noticeable upgrade for you.
X5 3 may not hold its ground in today's DAP market but when it was release it was a game changer. it was the first DAP with full Android with google play.
Even the DX150 with its stock AMP sounds noticeably better than X5 3.
It has its flaws and its sound is no where near competitive today.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #964 of 13,478
X5 3 may not hold its ground in today's DAP market but when it was release it was a game changer. it was the first DAP with full Android with google play.

The first 2-3 FW were brutal on the DX200 and the amp?...NOBODY says. "Hey, use the original AMP...it's still the best"
So it was laggy, ghosting screen. Sterile amp and cost 2x the X5III.

Looking forward to the 220. As a screen person I should be happy early

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #965 of 13,478
3896A722-8A7F-4F98-A0B4-D4821F09A383.jpeg

20 units landed Singapore

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #966 of 13,478
So my biggest deduction point for built quality based on demo unit impression doesn’t present on final production unit. The volume knob is tight and tactile. So built quality is superb.

Fresh out of the box, the UI quite snappy but occasional hesitation. Probably background process still running and may calm down after a while.

And look at that big, wide, colourful, sharp screen!

Update: For snappier UI response, enable Developer mode by tapping on “About DX220” under System. Once Dev mode enabled, go to “Developer options” under System again.

Scroll down to Drawing section and disable all animation. Now general UI feel slightly snappier.
890A600B-84C7-483E-A605-4C45FA16ADC8.jpeg

Reached Singapore last night, headed to Zep just now to try out DX220.

Tested with same playlist mixtures of FLAC and DSF on both unit.

Vol 75/150 (50%) High gain DX220 Amp1
Vol 35/100 (35%) Low gain Hiby R6 Pro

Immediate different is the stage height feel a touch higher (maybe due black blackground?) on DX220 but width/depth equal. Hiby mid sound more upfront in comparison. Sub bass on Hiby feel more authoritative with each note end sharper. But switching between both and just play the same test playlist, I lose track which player I’m listening to. In short, both sound very close to my ears if I stop analysing sound.

Observation other than sound aspect:
  1. Screen is big and sharp. Almost edge to edge with good color representation.
  2. UI feel a bit sluggish but not as bad as I expected. No undetected touch. Most likely can be optimised by update.
  3. The knob cap is more wobbly than N8. Before click is registered, the volume cap actually wiggle around. I keep pressing the knob to power on... habit from N8 usage.
  4. Buttons, especially Power button at the top, difficult to feel/touch.
  5. DX220 feel bigger and sharper around edges compared to R6 Pro pebble-like design. However R6 Pro feel much denser due to weight/size ratio. The Pro also fit within my small palm better.
  6. Built quality feel solid except for the knob cap mentioned above. Might/Hope be fixed in final production.
  7. Like the exposed microSD card slot on DX220 for easier card swap.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #967 of 13,478
So my biggest deduction point for built quality based on demo unit impression doesn’t present on final production unit. The volume knob is tight and tactile. So built quality is superb.

Fresh out of the box, the UI quite snappy but occasional hesitation. Probably background process still running and may calm down after a while.

And look at that big, wide, colourful, sharp screen!
Does it feel bulkier than pro in your hand?

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #969 of 13,478
What FiiO are you using at the moment?

I can't say I notice any lag with the latest firmware on DX200. Currently waiting on DHL to process DX220 to be able to give feedback on it! :)

@Dobrescu George ! Can't wait for your feedback.
I'm very tempted to jump to iBasso, DX220 promises a lot but I'm a bit "burned" by the promises of the "other brand" :L3000: ... so this time I'll give some time and wait for feedback; I'm looking obviously for sound quality, stability and speed and that the specs are all available and properly implemented; just to clarify, nothing to do with iBasso, I never owned one. Regards

Apr 23, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #970 of 13,478
@Dobrescu George ! Can't wait for your feedback.
I'm very tempted to jump to iBasso, DX220 promises a lot but I'm a bit "burned" by the promises of the "other brand" :L3000: ... so this time I'll give some time and wait for feedback; I'm looking obviously for sound quality, stability and speed and that the specs are all available and properly implemented; just to clarify, nothing to do with iBasso, I never owned one. Regards

Burned ? Like how ?

1/ Sound quality is subjective, some people prefer warmer sound, and some prefer more detailed and airy sound. The only way to find out is to audition a unit yourself. Ibasso has an advantage with modular designs on Amp cards, and each module has it own signatures.

2/ Stability ? Ibasso roll out firmware like rabbit and their intercourse on Easter Day. I have never had any real firmware issues. Not to mention that @Lurker0 and @WindowsX also roll out firmware right after that often fix minor bugs and more improvements

3/ Implementing ? I never really encountered issues on the Dx200 either. Dx200 and Dx220 is the only DAP on the market that can do DSD512. If a chip can do DSD512 like ES9028Pro, and is doing that inside Dx200 and DX220, then what implementations are you looking for ? Technicalities ? Or sound subjectively ? If you are looking at the subjective side of the tables, then we go back to #1. Technicalities, How many others DAP and devices are not able to do Native DSD512 ? This feature alone requires a lot of current and processing speed from supportive components. Rest assure that on the side of technicalities, the Dx200 and 220 are technically engineered well beyond what other current TOTL in the market can do

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #971 of 13,478
I didn’t see that before. If you’re in the United States it’s only going to be another week probably before the second run of production is finished. Personally I would buy directly from the manufacturer over someone on eBay any day.

Yes I’m in United States. I don’t want to risk my warranty. I currently have Shanling M3S so I’m hoping for an upgrade. I wonder if there is a way to auction first before purchasing it.

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #972 of 13,478
Yes I’m in United States. I don’t want to risk my warranty. I currently have Shanling M3S so I’m hoping for an upgrade. I wonder if there is a way to auction first before purchasing it.
It is not officially released, only the first few batches that went out to reviewers as you have seen posted, and only a few in the US have received it. Then there are a few stocks flying out around Asia somewhere ? To personally listen to the unit....you will need to wait for Ibasso to release it on the website, buy direct, and you have 15 days after delivery to make decision whether you return for refund or keep it. I never gotten that far, so I can’t tell you about the 15 days period at all

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #973 of 13,478
"Even the DX150 with its stock AMP..."
DX 150 is a very good DAP. His near to dx200. I modernizided my amp6. And I can say, dx150 can more.
I use my dx150 with tequila 1. And suits me almost completely this sound. I purposefully bought dx150. I was afraid of the cold dx200. The dx150 has small sores in the sound. But it's not related ak4490 and stock amp6. Amp 6 beautifully modernizarea even electrolytes. After that, these sores go almost completely. If I knew which op-amps are in the amp6, I could bring the dx150 sound to even better quality. As for the dx200, I'm not sure about the possibility of changing the nature of the sound of this DAP. And so I need solid proof of the improved sound of the dx220!!!

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #974 of 13,478
Just paid for a unit ...eek

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #975 of 13,478
"Even the DX150 with its stock AMP..."
DX 150 is a very good DAP. His near to dx200. I modernizided my amp6. And I can say, dx150 can more.
I use my dx150 with tequila 1. And suits me almost completely this sound. I purposefully bought dx150. I was afraid of the cold dx200. The dx150 has small sores in the sound. But it's not related ak4490 and stock amp6. Amp 6 beautifully modernizarea even electrolytes. After that, these sores go almost completely. If I knew which op-amps are in the amp6, I could bring the dx150 sound to even better quality. As for the dx200, I'm not sure about the possibility of changing the nature of the sound of this DAP. And so I need solid proof of the improved sound of the dx220!!!
Talk about modification ? Check out EX-modification :wink:. Amp8W is already singing with Dx220 ! Amp8EX ? Only a few owners by far....very few and none has paired with 220 yet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back