DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 12, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #11,806 of 13,478
if this should happen and it won’t turn on, plug it in and let it charge for a while (a few hours) if the screen remains black, then unplug it and press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds for a reset - sometimes the DX220 crashes into a black screen and this fixes it.

The battery drain issue is not normal though; if I leave it powered off fully it loses a negligible amount of charge over a very long period of time. If I leave it on with WiFi and Bluetooth off, screen off, not playing anything it will lose about 5-7% charge per day - as an example, I had forgotten to turn it off, last use was over a week ago (I think 8 days) for about an hour, starting fully charged, and it was at 35% when I turned it off today. If a reset to factory settings and firmware update doesn’t fix things I would contact iBasso customer service.
Thank you for your help
if the problem recurs, then I will do it

May 12, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #11,807 of 13,478
if this should happen and it won’t turn on, plug it in and let it charge for a while (a few hours) if the screen remains black, then unplug it and press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds for a reset - sometimes the DX220 crashes into a black screen and this fixes it.

The battery drain issue is not normal though; if I leave it powered off fully it loses a negligible amount of charge over a very long period of time. If I leave it on with WiFi and Bluetooth off, screen off, not playing anything it will lose about 5-7% charge per day - as an example, I had forgotten to turn it off, last use was over a week ago (I think 8 days) for about an hour, starting fully charged, and it was at 35% when I turned it off today. If a reset to factory settings and firmware update doesn’t fix things I would contact iBasso customer service.
Thank you for your help
if the problem recurs, then I will do it

May 12, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #11,808 of 13,478
Hello friends, I currently have DX228 and am considering buying a amp8 ex-fe or getting the Fidelizer masterpiece mod done to the DX220 dap and amp 8 for $400. I'm looking to get some input on which option you guys would recommend I go for. Thanks!

May 12, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #11,809 of 13,478
Hello friends, I currently have DX228 and am considering buying a amp8 ex-fe or getting the Fidelizer masterpiece mod done to the DX220 dap and amp 8 for $400. I'm looking to get some input on which option you guys would recommend I go for. Thanks!

I believe Fidelizer mod on both dap and amp is a better choice. The only drawback is you lose warranty on your DAP.

May 12, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #11,810 of 13,478

The Fidelizer mod does have the advantage of modding both the DAP body and amp, which should yield the best results. As for voiding the warranty, that is a technical risk. However, he's done many of these units, there is not any real danger that he will damage it. As long as the unit was fine when it was sent to him, it will come back fine. He does excellent work.

May 12, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #11,811 of 13,478

I was quite impressed by fidelizer masterpiece mod on both body and amp9 which made the device extremely airy and organic
but didn't feel much on their amp8 mod as in anp8ex fe mod. The recent EX mod (on both dx220 + amp8) by fellow headfier
using the different caps was a work of art. It made dx228 sound almost like fid dx229 mod making it also airy and analogous
without white noise/hiss as you would have on amp9 mod. You might want to ask fidelizer if you could choose the components
being used to personalize the sound signature or may be not but worth asking..I am completely satisfied with the two modded
devices I have.

May 12, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #11,812 of 13,478
The Fidelizer mod does have the advantage of modding both the DAP body and amp, which should yield the best results. As for voiding the warranty, that is a technical risk. However, he's done many of these units, there is not any real danger that he will damage it. As long as the unit was fine when it was sent to him, it will come back fine. He does excellent work.

This is the guy who sold me the dx220ex + amp8ex which worked beyond my expectation.
Time for you to reveal your secret sauce? :)

May 12, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #11,813 of 13,478
This is the guy who sold me the dx220ex + amp8ex which worked beyond my expectation.
Time for you to reveal your secret sauce? :)

Hey Dhc. I'm really glad you're enjoying the 228EX! I love the airy analog sound of tubes but always try to get there with solid state because of its inherent advantages. The 228EX(P) exceeded my expectations too and I do think it really is something special.

As for "secret sauce," there isn't any. Nearly all of it is posted on Whitigir's "DX200/220 Amp8, Amp1 EX modifications" thread. The body mod is entirely Whitigir's. He also let me know about the newer caps, which is the only missing bit of information on the thread.
Post #139 of 287

The amp8EX-P you have is also based on Whitigir's original design. However, that is my version and, electrolytic cap selection, tuned specifically for that airy, analog sound.
Post #208 of 287

Unfortunately, you can't really ask Fidelizer to duplicate this mod as he is an expert and retains his own ideas about modding and sound.

May 12, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #11,814 of 13,478
Hey Dhc. I'm really glad you're enjoying the 228EX! I love the airy analog sound of tubes but always try to get there with solid state because of its inherent advantages. The 228EX(P) exceeded my expectations too and I do think it really is something special.

As for "secret sauce," there isn't any. Nearly all of it is posted on Whitigir's "DX200/220 Amp8, Amp1 EX modifications" thread. The body mod is entirely Whitigir's. He also let me know about the newer caps, which is the only missing bit of information on the thread.
Post #139 of 287

The amp8EX-P you have is also based on Whitigir's original design. However, that is my version and, electrolytic cap selection, tuned specifically for that airy, analog sound.
Post #208 of 287

Unfortunately, you can't really ask Fidelizer to duplicate this mod as he is an expert and retains his own ideas about modding and sound.

I will attempt these mods if I ever get the electrical engineering degree at Stanford :) but for now I just hope I can get the battery replaced without
messing up the devices later.

May 13, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #11,815 of 13,478
I will attempt these mods if I ever get the electrical engineering degree at Stanford :) but for now I just hope I can get the battery replaced without

get the parts and let one talented solder technician to do that for you :)

On the side note, I have one man to do that in Bangkok. if you want to have his contact, you can send PM to you. I am also his customer.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #11,816 of 13,478
The battery replacement is not that challenging - just need to be careful with the wifi antenna connector as it is tiny and you will need to make sure it is oriented to clear adjacent components/case upon reinstalling. Check back through this thread and you will find the extremely helpful video posted earlier this year...

If you run into any problems just ask for some help!

Good Luck,
Tim

P.S. Here are links to step by step instructions and the video for battery replacement:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...9-now-available-and-dc01.898388/post-15479585
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...9-now-available-and-dc01.898388/post-15482325

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #11,818 of 13,478
Hey guys, just wanted to confirm since I’m a little confused...are @dhc0329 and fidelizer the two recommended for modding the 220 + amps? Just wanted to confirm if my understanding is correct.
Thank you

May 13, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #11,819 of 13,478
May 13, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #11,820 of 13,478

Fidelizer's mod and Whitigir's EX mod are the two main mods, and they are different and independent of each other. I have a version of Whitigir's amp8EX mod in addition.

However, Fidelizer is the only one that takes on paid modding jobs.

Don't get us in trouble with the moderators (grin). I don't want an MOT next to my username.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back