DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Dec 3, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #9,271 of 13,478
Also does would a new dx220 with older AMP9 still require burn-in just asking because
This new one doesn't sound as good (more congested) feels like it needs opening up
The DX220, a new one, will need burn in time 100 hours or so. It isn't just the amp section, it is much more on the PCB that needs time to settle and burn in.

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #9,273 of 13,478
My In-Depth review of iBasso DX220, following my careful study of all the AMP modules, and following the latest OTA Update is here! This is the DAP I've gotten to known quite well over the past few weeks, and if you're looking for a flagship DAP, it surely makes sense to consider it :)

The full review is also coming to Head-Fi in just a few moments :)

www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/12/ultimate-versatility-ibasso-dx220-amp7-amp8-amp9.html

iBasso-DX-220-DX220-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Flagship-AMP7-AMP8-AMP9-NuTube-DAP-38.jpg

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #9,274 of 13,478
My In-Depth review of iBasso DX220, following my careful study of all the AMP modules, and following the latest OTA Update is here! This is the DAP I've gotten to known quite well over the past few weeks, and if you're looking for a flagship DAP, it surely makes sense to consider it :)

The full review is also coming to Head-Fi in just a few moments :)

www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/12/ultimate-versatility-ibasso-dx220-amp7-amp8-amp9.html

iBasso-DX-220-DX220-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Flagship-AMP7-AMP8-AMP9-NuTube-DAP-38.jpg

" In terms of software, DX220 is very fluid, and the CPU / RAM combination is more than enough for Youtube videos, even games, and support for anything your heart could desire. This includes Tidal and Roon seamless integration, and one of the two best ways I've been using DX220 has been with Tidal, as I love myself a bit of streaming, especially as some albums I couldn't find to purchase online, and Tidal has them in store in the best quality. "
/

LMAO. I used to own a DX220 and this is so wrong and misleading. The device is very slow and laggy even when just playing audio files. And you tell that is verry fluid when streaming, youtube and even games ???
Many people lose their hard earned money due to misleading reviews like this. Sorry but I had to write this.

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #9,275 of 13,478
" In terms of software, DX220 is very fluid, and the CPU / RAM combination is more than enough for Youtube videos, even games, and support for anything your heart could desire. This includes Tidal and Roon seamless integration, and one of the two best ways I've been using DX220 has been with Tidal, as I love myself a bit of streaming, especially as some albums I couldn't find to purchase online, and Tidal has them in store in the best quality. "
/

LMAO. I used to own a DX220 and this is so wrong and misleading. The device is very slow and laggy even when just playing audio files. And you tell that is verry fluid when streaming, youtube and even games ???
Many people lose their hard earned money due to misleading reviews like this. Sorry but I had to write this.

Whose review are you quoting there? It would be helpful to say.

Also, just because I'm unwell and sat in bed with my DX220 next to me, I took a short video out of curiosity.
Will try to upload it here, not sure how..
[EDIT: tried to upload video from my hard disk, but can't do it! Anyone know how?]

I am finding pretty much no lag whatsoever.
Occasionally I get a 1 second lag, like when loading up the whole list of folders on the micro-SD card (that didn't happen here, as you can see).
But - for myself at least - I couldn't care less. What's 1 second? I just get to enjoy my music on a terrific sounding device a second later :p

I cannot say whether you are right or wrong with your own experience; I can only say that your description of it as "slow and laggy" is completely alien to my own experience.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #9,276 of 13,478
/

Whose review are you quoting there? It would be helpful to say.

Also, just because I'm unwell and sat in bed with my DX220 next to me, I took a short video out of curiosity.
Will try to upload it here, not sure how..
[EDIT: tried to upload video from my hard disk, but can't do it! Anyone know how?]

I am finding pretty much no lag whatsoever.
Occasionally I get a 1 second lag, like when loading up the whole list of folders on the micro-SD card (that didn't happen here, as you can see).
But - for myself at least - I couldn't care less. What's 1 second? I just get to enjoy my music on a terrific sounding device a second later :p

I cannot say whether you are right or wrong with your own experience; I can only say that your description of it as "slow and laggy" is completely alien to my own experience.

Ditto. Sure, it's not flagship smartphone fast, but for a DAP is perfectly sufficient and at least on par with high end AK I've tried.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #9,277 of 13,478
Ditto. Sure, it's not flagship smartphone fast, but for a DAP is perfectly sufficient and at least on par with high end AK I've tried.

I disagree. What is slow and what is fast is relative and but I don't get how do some people find it sufficent. I am not the only person finding it laggy as well.

The processor of the DX220 Cortex-A53 is from 2012 and this must be the problem.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #9,278 of 13,478
I disagree. What is slow and what is fast is relative and but I don't get how do some people find it sufficent. I am not the only person finding it laggy as well.

The processor of the DX220 Cortex-A53 is from 2012 and this must be the problem.
And we can disagree. I am used to the iPhone 11 Pro, enjoy it a lot, use it all the time and also use the DX220 every day. I don't find the 220 laggy or slow and the only time there is a pause is when I change from regular files to DSD but once in DSD, it performs the same as prior. Nope, don't find it laggy and the sound is excellent. Also I don't play the the screen all the time, I listen to the music. With my phone, I tend to use the screen more, because I have it for a different purpose.

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #9,279 of 13,478
I’m guessing it’s down to what you expect. For me it’s a music player. I don’t sit there fiddling with the interface a whole lot. I pick an album or playlist, and I hit play. Occasionally I make a playlist or search Tidal for some new tunes. No problem. With Amp1mkII and Amp9 I’m getting an easy 6-7 hours of play with IEMs, which I wish was more on occasion, but honestly I pretty much never listen that long in even 2 sessions.

On a side note, I picked up a few 4.4 mm balanced cables from ALO during the Black Friday deals, so I’m finally discovering the joy of the Amp8 with my two Campfire Audio IEMs. Using the pure silver right now because I have that one in SE as well, and it has no memory wire so works well with both the Atlas and the Andro S.

first impressions vs. Amp9: a LOT quieter (practically indiscernible hiss even in high gain), bit more bass ‘oomph’, slightly cleaner/leaner midrange (less of that Tubey warmth), more detail in the highs. Really nice, and holy cr*p that’s a lot of power! In high gain, I can take the Atlas to maybe 50, Andro S to maybe 60 for those brief ‘this is actually too loud but I need to listen to this intro stupid loud for a sec’ levels. Amp9 in regular output/high gain is almost double. With a lot more noise (in high power output it has way too much hum for me with these sensitive IEMs, but works wonders with my Massdrop duo). Now I really need to hurry up an finish the 4.4 cables for my HD6XX en HE4XX - this could get very interesting indeed!

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #9,281 of 13,478
Hello guys

Do we know the output power of the DX220 at 16 ohms ? They spesificy the output voltage but I couldn't find the output power.

which amp? The Amp8 is about 1200 mw per channel at 32 ohm, I believe...

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #9,282 of 13,478

Fine, you say it’s laggy, I think it’s good. You don’t have the DAP anymore and are talking by memory, I am using it now while I write. Please move ahead...

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #9,283 of 13,478
/

BTW, there are some videos on this thread showing how the UI behaves, I did not see the laggy interface you mention. This was corrected several FW versions ago. Can you please upload a video showing the slowness with current FW?
Facts, please...

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #9,284 of 13,478
/

As mnay have pointed out, there are videos of the UI online, including my video review, which shows about how quick it is. Either you had a very early firmware and didn't update, or you had a buggy unit, but DX220 is way more fluid than most DAPs in the market today, and it is pretty much on par with my Xiaomi Mi Max 3, which is a solid midrange smartphone. What exactly are you trying to do, and can you show us where you feel it is laggy?

Here's my video review, showing exactly how quick the UI is, I can't do more than to show exactly what I'm talking about...

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #9,285 of 13,478
/

I mostly agree. When I tested the DX220 and the DX160 back-to-back, I found the DX160 to be clearly more fluid and responsive, probably because it uses a newer processor. Same with the Hiby R6 Pro, which is also faster and more responsive than the DX220. The DX220 is slow -- not terribly slow, but slow in comparison to the two other DAPs I've mentioned. Its responsiveness has definitely improved with firmware updates, but the DX220 is not my first choice of DAP for doing much beyond streaming or listening to music. It does sound awesome, though. Soundwise, it clearly beats any other DAP I've owned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back