DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #61 of 13,478
Honestly it’s very close, it doesn’t have the modularity but the SQ is surprisingly good really... tuning is really natural and smooth.
Build wise, it’s very impressive. And it’s fast with an amazing screen.

This being said, I’ll jump on DX220 when it’s out :)
Hiby fixed the biggest issues with the pro, hopefully ibasso does the same. If so, you'd expect the dx220 to be slighty above the r6 pro in most people's pecking order, but they do really appel to a slightly different segment. As long as modularity is done right, I like it, and so far ibasso is doing it right. I better start saving for the dx220. Here's hoping for some better DSP otions on it to rival MSEB!

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #62 of 13,478
Hiby fixed the biggest issues with the pro, hopefully ibasso does the same. If so, you'd expect the dx220 to be slighty above the r6 pro in most people's pecking order, but they do really appel to a slightly different segment. As long as modularity is done right, I like it, and so far ibasso is doing it right. I better start saving for the dx220. Here's hoping for some better DSP otions on it to rival MSEB!
Would you briefly explain the difference between the 2 segments you referred to? thx

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #63 of 13,478

Don’t really care about DSP... and look at my sig, I am getting the DX220 for sure :D

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #67 of 13,478
You should never let go of Titanium in the first place :wink: kakaka

Well maybe, in between I have been enjoying the 1Z for a bit then back to stacking and playing with amps, then back to iBasso :D

Great you will be able to tell us if the 220 Can compete with the r6 pro

The R6 Pro has a nice amp section, it’s fast and has a fantastic screen and a smooth natural tuning... but I have no doubt the DX220 will rock!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #68 of 13,478
Well maybe, in between I have been enjoying the 1Z for a bit then back to stacking and playing with amps, then back to iBasso :D

The R6 Pro has a nice amp section, it’s fast and has a fantastic screen and a smooth natural tuning... but I have no doubt the DX220 will rock!

Yeah, I understand the 1z well :wink:, been there and done that :D, and I am head over heels with DX208Ti-EX

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #69 of 13,478
Yeah, I understand the 1z well :wink:, been there and done that :D, and I am head over heels with DX208Ti-EX

Yeah sure, I’d like to hear that mod of yours :p
But DX220 + AMP9 has me salivating :D

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #71 of 13,478
Would you briefly explain the difference between the 2 segments you referred to? thx
The ibasso has modular amps for people who prefer to play around with amping to tweak their sounds signature.

The hiby has MSEB to do the same thing. As an EQ/DSP fanatic myself, I need a good DSP option to be happy, EQ alone doesn't do it for me. Hiby is also known for being a more useable overall Android device than just a music player, so great for people who stream.

Modular amps have positives and negatives. I think hiby missed the boat with their amp section on the R6, but tomorrow I'll find out if they fixed that problem when my pro hits my door.

Plus, given the modular amp issue, the hiby is cheaper, but has a limited shelf life.

It should be noted that that Ibasso customer service beats the hell out of hiby, and they understand the Western market much much better. Joe Bloggs seems like a nice guy, but you can tell Hiby doesn't have the same focus on customer service as ibasso. Joe doesn't seem to know what they're doing a lot of the time.... He seems to be loosely affiliated with Hiby whereas you can tell Paul from ibasso is more deeply involved.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #72 of 13,478
@SciOC Look forward to your impressions :) Let me bet something : it will pair beautifully with the CL2, there is something about the overall tuning that makes upper mids and lower treble harshness disappear I have been experiencing this with the JVC FW10K. Sibilance and harshness, gone... this is something they did very well.

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #73 of 13,478
Thx for your response. Unfortunately I need everything. I stream tidal. I have multiple headphones, from Clears to hifiman ed x, no iem. Need Bluetooth with my Bose. Also play a dap through my marantz reciever in a small listening room with nice speakers. So I guess it would be the best all arounder. From what little we know. Which dap might be the best all arounder?

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #74 of 13,478
Thx for your response. Unfortunately I need everything. I stream tidal. I have multiple headphones, from Clears to hifiman ed x, no iem. Need Bluetooth with my Bose. Also play a dap through my marantz reciever in a small listening room with nice speakers. So I guess it would be the best all arounder. From what little we know. Which dap might be the best all arounder?

I think you have to look at what is important to you when trying to choose a DAP that's best for you.

The Hiby R6 Pro has a lot to like. They've demonstrated to have one the most responsive user interfaces in the industry. Hiby is going to perform closest to a modern day Android Smartphone. So if that snappy user experience is important to you then Hiby is a solid choice.

Some Hiby R6 users have experienced WiFi signal issues. We'll see if the R6 Pro has fixed these poor signal strength problems as users from their user group have reported. We'll have a better idea once its released and more people start using the R6 Pro.

The R6 Pro had impressive balanced output power with 750mw per channel. That output will sufficiently drive a wide variety of your full size headphones vs other current DAPs in the market.

Now for all the great features the R6 pro has I think the DX220 has some as well.

The DX220 has the swappable amp modules. So depending on your output needs you have a wide variety to choose from. As they release new amp modules you can upgrade the amp stage without having to replace you whole DAP. Power wise I think the 4.4mm AMP8 with the 6.2 vrms output should give you a similar power output to the R6 Pro's 4.4mm balanced output. iBasso doesn't publish output power measurements under a certain load (32ohms, 300 ohms, etc) like a lot of other DAP makers, so it's hard to compare. The new AMP9 with tube stage should also be a great match for high impedance/power hungry headphones. As far as Power output I think you'll be covered with both of these DAPs. iBasso gives you more flexibility with its variety of swappable amps. They are the only ones besides Fiio and their flagships that offer this future proof option for your amp stage.

I think iBasso has the better hardware controls layout vs the R6 pro. It's personal taste, but I like volume knobs. Hiby unfortunately doesn't have one. I also prefer headphone outputs on the bottom vs the tip of the device. Others may disagree or not care, but these are small things that make a difference in overall owner satisfaction.

I think iBasso does a better job with customer service than Hiby. I had hardware issues with my R3 that I won't get into, but it was a hassle to get it fixed. iBasso is more responsive in fixing hardware and software issues from what I've seen on their forums. Hiby needs to work on taking care of their customers after the sale. They still leave a lot to be desired when it comes to responding to issues. Simple software issues seem to go unanswered and unfixed. On their R3 DAP, I have pointed out several small interface issues that they have yet to fix. The roll out of their Android 8.1 Oreo upgrade for their R6 customers was a nightmare. In contrast iBasso had a much better upgrade process from Android 6 to 8.1 with their firmware update for DX200 /DX150 customers. So if customer support is important to you, I think iBasso is the better choice.

As far as connecting to your Marantz receiver both have line outputs on their amps. IBasso has some modules that don't, but their current stock AMP1/AMP6 modules do that ship with their current DX200/DX150s. I am assuming the standard amp module they will ship with the DX220 will have a 3.5mm line out.

Both devices have standard built in line outs for digital coax. So no major advantage there to either.

I'm not going to give one a leg up in sound quality as everyone has their own preference and I haven't heard either device yet. Both companies have been praised for their sound quality on their current devices by lots of HeadFiers and reviewers.

Hiby has their MSEB EQ tuning which a lot of people like.

Others on this forum can probably give you their sound impressions of the current DX200.

IBasso had initial lag problems in their UI when skipping to and playing tracks in their early release of their DX200/150 models. I think they've addressed this on their firmware releases and with the help of Lurker. If they can come out of the gate with a snappy UI that is close to Hiby's R6 and keep the price under $1000 they'll have a real winner on their hands.

A Google Playstore preinstalled would be really nice for those that aren't savy enough to load Lurker's firmware. We'll see how this all plays out. I think we have a real battle on our hands between the DX220 vs. the R6 Pro. If you are patient and don't need to purchase right now then you'll have a lot of options come this spring. Of course you could always just purchase both! Best wishes in your decision.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #75 of 13,478
I honestly do not see R6Pro as a competitor to Dx220 do not see R6 as a direct competition to Dx220. Heck, not even DX200

The regular Dx200 is already doing ES9028pro x 2 which is a desktop version of what is inside the R6Pro

Modular amps

Google playstore can be installed

USB DAC and Native DSD upto DSD512

Bluetooth-DAC/Amp

So, how is R6 a competition really ? Being newer in production with quick charge and inferior technologies ? I meant, even DX150 with a good amp module would give R6Pro a run for it money already. If you only count toward the DAC as a references point then the R6Pro is above DX150 but below Dx200. Then we don’t know what Dx220 will have either

The best All rounder DAP I see in my opinion now is DX200. It has everything there is to be had

1/ firmware upgraded every month or so

2/ upgraded firmware right after by @Lurker0 or Fidelizer

3/ Modular Amps

4/ WiFi with Internet, Oreo OS, any streamers including YouTube ...etc..

5/ Google store legitimately with Lurker

6/ Bluetooth DAC-AMP, Bluetooth with all codecs

7/ External USB-DAC upto 384 and DSD512. What DAP is out there that can do DSD512 ? None!

8/ SPDIF digital out with excellent sound quality due to top of the line clock oscilliators

9/ Excellent customer services and after sale services from Ibasso and @Paul - iBasso ...does Hiby have similar ?

10/ Sound performances can easily out class many common DAP, and even top tier DAP will shy away, and then there are modifications to even make it better.

11/ The only one on the market to be able to have ESS9028Pro x2 on the market still...after 2 years LOL

Downside of the DX200 is that it has hisses with sensitive IEMs , which isn’t a problem to me, never is, because I use headphones only. Hd800s is driven like a champ with it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back