DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 19, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #6,661 of 13,478
Just got a DX220 to "replace" my DX150 that I left on a plane. Very happy and pair it with a Amp7 as my DX150. However, the compared with DX150, the volume knob is terrible. It is so thin that when pair with the leather case, it is very hard to use. Hope ibasso can improve in future models. While the quality of the leather material is really nice, the design is also terrible compared to DX150. It doesn't secure the player properly that the DX220 will slide within the case.

I am awaiting a TPU case from China. Hope that will be better.

I put them side by side for comparison.

However, the screen quality for DX220 is Significantly better than DX150.

What do you think of the difference in sound quality between them?

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #6,664 of 13,478
Just my AMP9 today. Upon i started to play the song, the hiss is very obvious on my Solaris which I hardly heard in Stock AMP. Medium gain, low gain produce hiss.

I also have the Amp 9 and Solaris and agree, the hiss is very noticeable on quiet passages and quiet music like acoustic guitar. On louder music I can hear the hiss between songs but once the music starts I can't hear it.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #6,665 of 13,478
20190720_080708.jpg
When u get stare in the car wash waiting room...

have a nice weekend...

Jul 19, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #6,667 of 13,478
I also have the Amp 9 and Solaris and agree, the hiss is very noticeable on quiet passages and quiet music like acoustic guitar. On louder music I can hear the hiss between songs but once the music starts I can't hear it.

Exactly. But i cant resist to accept it because it sound good for me. When comparing to stock amp, i feel AMP9 have more full body sound, nice separation between instrument. Very obvious change for me. AMP9 also produce a little boost in low when comparing to stock AMP. Oh ya, AMP9 produce less heat. I'm the one like the microdetails sound and AMP9 really suit my taste.

Jul 19, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #6,668 of 13,478
I think they stared at your high heels
What.. they don't know what their missing...
is a great DAP u know... ;p

Exactly. But i cant resist to accept it because it sound good for me. When comparing to stock amp, i feel AMP9 have more full body sound, nice separation between instrument. Very obvious change for me. AMP9 also produce a little boost in low when comparing to stock AMP. Oh ya, AMP9 produce less heat. I'm the one like the microdetails sound and AMP9 really suit my taste.
Really?
u got me interested... lets looks some one here who has it...
alrd know one, but he alrd mod the AMP9... so I lose my interest...
btw u used the Slitz SE stock that come with Solaris right?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #6,670 of 13,478
That is because the sound signature and synergies as a combination of both that makes it that way.

See ? A neutral monitors or headphones with DX220 and even Amp8 would still be dead neutral. Most of the time Neutral is boring and not musical to many people, but it has nothing to do with drivability. It is the synergies. If you have Amp9 which is warm, musical and fluid, and totally is different than the rest of the dead neutral modules from Ibasso until now, then musicality + Neutral = something more enjoyable.

I have always said that, and will say it again, the Dx220 and it other amp modules are focused on Neutral and flat signature with clarity, details and airy presentations. So if you want something more musical, pair it with something warmer.

Even a Cables after careful consideration would does wonderful too!

About modifications, it is to achieve better energy delivery, background, and hence improvements in other areas while taking tuning into account. Each and every modifications will carry it own signatures and will synergies with different things. It is important to know whose preferences, and which systems are paired to develop the modifications. Once the improvements are made, everything connecting to it would be improved. That is why Cables is the last thing, and always is the absolutely last piece in the chain to be taking into considerations.

However, for people who want to drive full-size all the time like me, I have only found a few DAP/Systems that can do so. The new players such as SP1000/2000, Cubes, SR15, N8, DX200-220 and Amp8, the DMP-Z1. We are pretty much stuck, because this portion of the markets is very small in comparison to the in ear people. So form and portability is a huge factor. This is another reason why I modified my DX200 and also Dx220, Amp8. It makes the DX220+Amp8 as a combo being driven pretty well with my needs and gears, so I am very happy with it. Next up to it would be the DMP-Z1, but with that form factor and not to mention the opposite Signatures, I almost prefer to have DX228EX inside my pocket driving universally everything.....even when I use T2 + Stax SR009 as a whole system
Agree with your almost of comments. Surely, there are so many factors affect to the music quality.

I only mentioned amp8 that has good output power, but I dont think it is best for HD820. I have not got HD820 (I listen earbuds more frequently than full sise by my own career and living conditions), but my high empedence Ve Zen is a typical example.

And I listened DMP-Z1 I borrowed my friend, I think that DMP-Z1 is not easy to drive HD820 effectively. External amp is needed for DMP-Z1.
Lilke you, I love dx220 too. But I also ordered ak sp2000 CU for next adventure :).

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #6,671 of 13,478
Agree with your almost of comments. Surely, there are so many factors affect to the music quality.

I only mentioned amp8 that has good output power, but I dont think it is best for HD820. I have not got HD820 (I listen earbuds more frequently than full sise by my own career and living conditions), but my high empedence Ve Zen is a typical example.

And I listened DMP-Z1 I borrowed my friend, I think that DMP-Z1 is not easy to drive HD820 effectively. External amp is needed for DMP-Z1.
Lilke you, I love dx220 too. But I also ordered ak sp2000 CU for next adventure :).
DMP-Z1 has very weak output at 3.5mm port and low gain.

4.4mm has 1500mW into 16 ohms and high gain, it can blow your ears with hd820. But then, I wouldn’t allow any friend to touch my DMP-Z1 shiny surfaces hahahah!

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #6,672 of 13,478
What do you think of the difference in sound quality between them?

I am no expert in this. But I felt that there is noticeable different in sound quality. dark black, and better separation.

I just got my DM6 back from the airport. :p So, will take a few days to compare the sound quality. But I Love the DX220 (except some ranting).

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #6,674 of 13,478
I agree, there is hiss with the Solaris and DX220/Amp 9. However, after using it for a few songs, one stops noticing the hiss as the combo is so dam engaging, or at least that was what happened to me.
I also noticed hiss with the Massdrop Empire Ears Zeus, that hiss was worse, and I couldn't continue to listen to the combo.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #6,675 of 13,478
What.. they don't know what their missing...
is a great DAP u know... ;p

Really?
u got me interested... lets looks some one here who has it...
alrd know one, but he alrd mod the AMP9... so I lose my interest...
btw u used the Slitz SE stock that come with Solaris right?

i'm using pure silver cable 2.5mm balanced with adapter. I will try using stock cable tonight if have time, will give you update later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back