DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 8, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #6,047 of 13,478
The hiss on AMP9 is minimal - the biggest downside to the AMP9 is the power deficit to AMP8 - The AMP8 has more power obviously, but it is quite a lot more power. (2700mA vs 200mA = 13.5 x more power on AMP8)
Volume 150 is only just enough with AMP9 on some older recordings with low levels, though i get around that by turning up the preamp in neutron player and turning on clip protection.

I have both AMP8 and AMP9 and I do swap them over depending on the headphones i feel like using and the music I want to listen to. The AMPs are so cheap compared to the quality you get I'm buying the whole set of AMPS. The 2nd order harmonic distortion typical of that warm tube sound that some people go for is definitely mildly present on the AMP9. But thats the whole point of tubes right! Hopefully someone with enough gear and interest will measure it one day. Below is a circuit design and measurements from someone elses use of the Korg nutube. And the AMP9 doesnt sound to my ears too different than the measurements here. (that is - pleasing upto about volume 120/130 - after that the inherent tube distortion rises too much for my liking, with high-level recorded material sounding quite distorted on the low impedance Andromeda's because the nutube can't muster enough current to drive them cleanly.) Having said that, I listen mostly at volume 110 or lower with high-gain setting on my Andromeda's and they sound wonderful with most music. When listening to a recording with very high average RMS levels, the AMP8 is clearly the better choice due to the headroom available before distortion sets in. The AMP9 just isnt designed for loud continuos near 0db clipping music as the distortion is quite noticeable with high volume set above 120 on AMP9. So... it depends on what equipment you have, how loud you like it and what music you listen too... As a couple of us have said... why not just buy both. :)

A different Korg nutube design and measurements for some idea of what you can expect from the AMP9: (note iBasso have clearly done their own design and opted to do their own interpretation of the biasing of the tubes for the level of harmonic distortion and IMD they want, so don't think of this as a direct comparison - it's just to give you an idea and point of reference for the nutube measurements and sound characteristics)
http://www.pmillett.com/nuhybrid.html

p.s. and im ordering some philips head or allen key grub screws to make swapping the amps much quicker than the fiddly flat blade grub screws.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #6,048 of 13,478
Amp9 is here.... i am very happy: only three days for delivery. :)
IMG_20190708_164337.jpg

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #6,051 of 13,478
So I’m about 30 minutes of play time today with the DX220 and once again the DAP just stops playing music all together and becomes totally unresponsive. I can still hear that the DAP is on (white noise is present), but nothing is functioning. If I hold power + play for 10 seconds it doesn’t force shut down and no buttons work. This seems to happen at least once a day throughout any listening session.

Any solution to this? Is power + play not the force shut down input?

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #6,052 of 13,478
So I’m about 30 minutes of play time today with the DX220 and once again the DAP just stops playing music all together and becomes totally unresponsive. I can still hear that the DAP is on (white noise is present), but nothing is functioning. If I hold power + play for 10 seconds it doesn’t force shut down and no buttons work. This seems to happen at least once a day throughout any listening session.

The Power button is the one to hold to force the shutdown. But with the problem continuing, if you have updated the firmware and done a reset, or used the Android Tool, .img firmware with the USB/DAC driver? I may has asked this and we may have discussed this, and I apologize if we have but I want to cover all bases. If this continues then, I would ask that you contact me at paul@ibasso.com so we can go through the DX220 and find out what the problem is.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 8, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #6,053 of 13,478
Neutron player has a lots of good features which I liked but not sure if I can really use it because the sleep timer doesn't appear to work with it.
With the Neutron player on the fore screen being paused the screen never goes off. With Mango the screen goes off after 5 min which is minimal sleep timer setting.

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #6,054 of 13,478
The Power button is the one to hold to force the shutdown. But with the problem continuing, if you have updated the firmware and done a reset, or used the Android Tool, .img firmware with the USB/DAC driver? I may has asked this and we may have discussed this, and I apologize if we have but I want to cover all bases. If this continues then, I would ask that you contact me at paul@ibasso.com so we can go through the DX220 and find out what the problem is.

This are the problems I encountered since a week and tried everything I could but it doesn’t help at all.

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #6,055 of 13,478

I will try just the power button next time it happens. I’m on the latest firmware with the lurker mod. I will contact you if it happens again and the power button only doesn’t do a force reset. Thanks Paul!

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #6,056 of 13,478
Miter case for DX220 is available on ebay. Ignore the pictures on top that show the dx150, the seller says in the description they will update them soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-iBasso...-MITER-PU-Synthetic-Leather-Case/123827688791

Just put in an offer for one, hopefully I hear back from the seller soon.

Interesting, thanks for mentioning.
Around 4 weeks ago there was an ebay auction for MITER cases that had DX200 and DX220 in the description from where i thought that it would be still the existing cases developed for the Dx200.
Now it sounds like that they made a case especially for the DX220.

As there are no photos with the DX220 inside the case, it would be great if somebody who received the new case soon can shoot a photo with the DX220 and post it here.
From my personal view, the case has unfortunately the same disadvantage than the original case, it is open at the top and therefore it is not very well protected there.
But i would like to read some impressions about the new case, maybe it has some advantages (beside the colour :wink:)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #6,057 of 13,478
first sound impressions after only a couple of hours... The dx220 with the amp9 sounds really well. There's much air, space and cohesion between all the instruments. Every single notes is reproduced with incredible perfection. Never heard before nothing like this: what fantastic job have done the iBasso's guys. I am musically happy :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #6,058 of 13,478

I will try just the power button next time it happens. I’m on the latest firmware with the lurker mod. I will contact you if it happens again and the power button only doesn’t do a force reset. Thanks Paul!
You may want to try going back to iBasso FW and see if the problem(s) persists...

I have never encountered this issue but that is just one point of reference.

Cheers,
Tim

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #6,059 of 13,478
You may want to try going back to iBasso FW and see if the problem(s) persists...

I have never encountered this issue but that is just one point of reference.

Cheers,
Tim
I’ve also got Lurker add-on and don't have any problems with dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back