DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 17, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #3,166 of 13,478
Sometimes a laugh can help - the medicine for the soul, at least one that works for me. I meant no disrespect to anyone by my post.

Oh yeah, listening to some Badfinger Greatest Hits while typing this - loving the AMP1 MKII module on single ended. One of these days I am going to try out some balanced IEM's...

Cheers,
Tim

May 17, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #3,167 of 13,478
Sometimes a laugh can help - the medicine for the soul, at least one that works for me. I meant no disrespect to anyone by my post.

Oh yeah, listening to some Badfinger Greatest Hits while typing this - loving the AMP1 MKII module on single ended. One of these days I am going to try out some balanced IEM's...

Cheers,
Tim
wouldn't just a balanced cable be enough for your existing iem suffice ?

May 17, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #3,168 of 13,478
wouldn't just a balanced cable be enough for your existing iem suffice ?
I am using Sony MDR-EX650 T IEM's which do not have a removable cable. I am eyeing the JVC HA-FD02 which can be upgraded from a cable perspective. Anyone here have those IEM's paired with the DX220? Any thoughts?

For now - enjoying the DX220 and happy with my upgrade from the DX90/Cowon Plenue P1.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #3,169 of 13,478
Man, what a read again!
Thank you so much

I have to get up earlier next time, otherwise I'll be late for work
Had to skip a few parts so I hope I didn't miss too much.

..........Ibasso selling the modded amp8 sounds like a fine plan to me..........

Have a good day all (especially the ones that celebrate their birthdays today):gift::cake:

May 17, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #3,170 of 13,478
Hi,

I did some comparison to the Chord Mojo vs Dx220 Amp1k2 (1 hour burn-in) with focal stellia (also with few hours burn-in)

The Chord is going today so I wanted to do a quick comparison., only had around 30mins to do this with vertically 0 burn-in on the Ibasso. So take this with a pinch of salt...

Well the Chord Mojo is my favourite of all my DACS when I wanted my favourite sound signature this is the AMP I turn to, I'm sad to see it go. It's clean sound signature couldn't be beaten , well with Fiio amps anyway. Only issue was I needed to pair it with a good source and it wasn't practical to carry around. So if any DAP was to come close to it I would be happy..

Well the dx220 against Mojo has definitely achieved my wish I actually prefer it :) it actually put's the Mojo to the bottom and this is with no burn-in. Here's my findings

- dx220 is cleaner and more resolving, higher resolution.
- The highs on the dx220 are much more focused and at the forefront
- The mids are much prominent
- The bass is more impactful on the Mojo slightly higher sound stage but I put this down to lack of burn-in on Ibasso. Dx220 will beyond match it and bet this as it opens up I guess.
- dx220 as mentioned by many is much more reference sounding with amp1
- The mojo is not as clean but has much softer sound.

Overall I think it's much better then Mojo , I'm no longer that sad to see it go :)

I can only imagine what AMP8 will sound in comparison , I imagine larger sound stage and slightly softer sound in comparison to AMP1 . This gives me some very good options It's very nice to change from reference sound to a softer sound using the same equipment.

I will revert back once I have tried my AMP8, at the moment enjoying the music and burn-in process.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #3,171 of 13,478
- dx220 is much cleaner and more resolving, much higher resolution.

...Having owned the Chord Mojo myself I'll let someone else chime in on this claim. The Chord Mojo is cleaner and more resolving than the iFi Micro Black Label, which some people claim can't be beaten by daps under $1000. I'd very much like to see more opinions on this comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 17, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #3,172 of 13,478
...Having owned the Chord Mojo myself I'll let someone else chime in on this claim. The Chord Mojo is cleaner and more resolving than the iFi Micro Black Label, which some people claim can't be beaten by daps under $1000. I'd very much like to see more opinions on this comparison.

I didn't quite expect this out come but to my ears the dx220 was cleaner sounding and more reference like. I've edited the 'much' as that's probably exaggerating
And i'm a Chord fan I was even contemplating the Hugo 2 at some point. I just didn't see it getting much use due to portability
i'm equally surprised :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #3,173 of 13,478
Wow, ok. Have you heard the higher tier Chord stuff? Are you going balanced out of the DX221? Does maybe the Focal Stellia being particularly clear and resolving cap what the Mojo does? You got anything else to listen on? I also recall the Mojo having a hard sound. Didn't pick up on amp1 mk2 being particularly hard. The Focal stuff (Clear, Utopia, Elear) I thought was unbearably hard, piercing. I don't know if the Stellia is a deviation.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #3,174 of 13,478
Wow, ok. Have you heard the higher tier Chord stuff? Are you going balanced out of the DX221? Does maybe the Focal Stellia being particularly clear and resolving cap what the Mojo does? You got anything else to listen on? I also recall the Mojo having a hard sound. Didn't pick up on amp1 mk2 being particularly hard. The Focal stuff (Clear, Utopia, Elear) I thought was unbearably hard, piercing. I don't know if the Stellia is a deviation.

Not even balanced at the moment just standard SE cable , I've got a cheapo balanced adaptor coming today so can try with that.

I've heard to hugo2 in demo at a shop and from what I remember it was absolutely amazing probably difficult to beat.

Quite possible the Stellia is playing part here but then dx220 paired with it beautifully

May 17, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #3,175 of 13,478
You can't use a balanced adapter on an se cable. Only between different balanced terminations or whatever (2.5 and 4.4, I think there might be adapters involving xlr as well). Damn is that an expensive headphone. You have an xlr cable so you need an adapter for it. Don't know if you know this but it's what I've been told. You can only use balanced cables with adapters toward se, not the other way around.

May 17, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #3,177 of 13,478
Not even balanced at the moment just standard SE cable , I've got a cheapo balanced adaptor coming today so can try with that.

I've heard to hugo2 in demo at a shop and from what I remember it was absolutely amazing probably difficult to beat.

Quite possible the Stellia is playing part here but then dx220 paired with it beautifully

In clarity, DX220 + AMP1 is really one of clearest combinations I have ever seen among DAPs. Especially the DSD512 simply sounds unbelivable. I am not sure if I would like to trade the clarity and details for more body (by switching to AMP8), as after hearing all those details and instrument locations it sounds dull even going back from the DSD512 to the FLAC file. I think I might just stay with AMP1MK2. Yesterday I ordered an extra 512 GB for DSD512 converted files, as each file becomes >1GB. Anyway only real well recorded acoustic music really benefits from the upconversion. No use upconverting death-metal to DSD512.

May 17, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #3,178 of 13,478
I didn't quite expect this out come but to my ears the dx220 was cleaner sounding and more reference like. I've edited the 'much' as that's probably exaggerating
And i'm a Chord fan I was even contemplating the Hugo 2 at some point. I just didn't see it getting much use due to portability
i'm equally surprised :)
Welcome to the club :wink:

May 17, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #3,179 of 13,478
In clarity, DX220 + AMP1 is really one of clearest combinations I have ever seen among DAPs. Especially the DSD512 simply sounds unbelivable. I am not sure if I would like to trade the clarity and details for more body (by switching to AMP8), as after hearing all those details and instrument locations it sounds dull even going back from the DSD512 to the FLAC file. I think I might just stay with AMP1MK2. Yesterday I ordered an extra 512 GB for DSD512 converted files, as each file becomes >1GB. Anyway only real well recorded acoustic music really benefits from the upconversion. No use upconverting death-metal to DSD512.

Hi, pretty much on the same boat. My audio amazon.de wishlist currently has a Samsung 512Gb card, a Quickcharger 3.0 and a 4pin XLR adapter to 2.5mm balanced for my full size headphones, and I think I'm done for a while.
But man, I am listening right now thru AMP1mk2 balanced with Angie II and wow, I like it and its less than 20 hours. Maybe AMP8 would be a better option for the Focal Clear, I only tested a couple of tracks thru SE and WOW WOW - this combo promises a lot. That's why I started dreaming with a possible AMP9, my guess is that it would be an even better match for its clarity and neutrality.

So @Paul - iBasso consider this a pre-order already for AMP9 - if it costs less than an arm of course... :L3000:

May 17, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #3,180 of 13,478
Hi, pretty much on the same boat. My audio amazon.de wishlist currently has a Samsung 512Gb card, a Quickcharger 3.0 and a 4pin XLR adapter to 2.5mm balanced for my full size headphones, and I think I'm done for a while.
But man, I am listening right now thru AMP1mk2 balanced with Angie II and wow, I like it and its less than 20 hours. Maybe AMP8 would be a better option for the Focal Clear, I only tested a couple of tracks thru SE and WOW WOW - this combo promises a lot. That's why I started dreaming with a possible AMP9, my guess is that it would be an even better match for its clarity and neutrality.

So @Paul - iBasso consider this a pre-order already for AMP9 - if it costs less than an arm of course... :L3000:
Considering amp module from Ibasso for $200...still doesn’t cost an arm when compare to A&K amp :D. A lot of differences, but the SP1000 Amp is almost as much as Dx220 itself ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back