DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 1, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #1,756 of 13,478
Dude, you started posting in this thread with a bunch of complaints and a negative attitude toward the product even before you got the DAP. And sorry, but some of your questions sounded like this is your first DAP (no need to get defensive), so people are only trying to help you. This is a community of audio enthusiasts and that's what we do here - help each other and share our experience, regardless of what you consider as silly or not silly. But with a sh!tty entitled attitude like this, I can guarantee that sooner or later many will just add you to their ignore list.

That sum it up. Thank you.

May 1, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #1,757 of 13,478
You must be right, I must know nothing. After all I'm just a truck driver/ mechanic. How could I possibly understand the trouble you are having. And you are right, I do not have the 220 but look at my inventory, dude. For cryin out loud, it seems YOU are the one who can't figure the dang thing out so I'll stop trying to give you advice.

Rather than joking about being a truck driver or mechanic you could've used the intelligence of one and if you do have the requisite experience with the DX200s you have you could've pointed out that the key is to first go into DAC mode, then plug the dap into the computer. Had nothing to do with transferring files as you aren't in Android OS to do this. I think you grossly underestimate truck drivers and mechanics.

I got USB dac working now. You're stuck on one screen with no battery power indicator. Perhaps due to this being Mango OS and nothing else going on the battery might not drain. Would have to experiment to determine that. Alarmingly out of one USB port I experienced crackling and out of the next there was one skip (my computer is several months old and has higher end components), but hopefully there are no further hitches. Also, in a future update you should be given access to EQ while in USB dac mode.

Dude, you started posting in this thread with a bunch of complaints and a negative attitude toward the product even before you got the DAP. And sorry, but some of your questions sounded like this is your first DAP (no need to get defensive), so people are only trying to help you. This is a community of audio enthusiasts and that's what we do here - help each other and share our experience, regardless of what you consider as silly or not silly. But with a sh!tty entitled attitude like this, I can guarantee that sooner or later many will just add you to their ignore list.

This is called due diligence. I always look for the worst in things I'm considering buying and after I have bought them. I would argue yours is the improper attitude. We are spending money on this stuff, start acting like it. Then some of you wonder why prices balloon.

well does it make the 1r sound better than the over priced sony dap ?

The ZX300 is relatively "cheap" but a really bad fit with the Z1R. After a lot of frustration I've just gotten into like the third hour of burning the DX220 in. Unsurprisingly my first impression isn't a raving one. Toughnut said he was initially unimpressed but after 50 hours that changed substantially. The recommended range is like 100-200 hours. The ExpatianJapan guy claimed he was hearing sonic differences at the 170-hour mark. I can be patient. I bought amp8 and am using it due to the balanced output and at the moment don't hear anything special. I kind of wonder whether I should eventually try amp1 mkii but that is a whole bunch more hours of burn-in. By then I might have to make a decision on returning.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,758 of 13,478
13505917-0C1F-4989-A116-AB2E1E1A45A4.jpeg
iBasso DX220 & Campfire Audio (New) Andromeda V3

Books and music <3

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #1,759 of 13,478

Just to prove that DAC is working... duh. I won't bothered to explain. RTFM.

When few tried to help explain that you're doing it wrong, you behaved like 6 years old with no basic courtesy of a 2 years old.

If you know-it-all, you won't be here cursing why this or that happen.

End of rant. Have a good day.

I summed up why it's working in two lines. Had nothing to do with your suggestion and you did in fact not understand that I wasn't getting the option to transfer files despite being sufficiently explicit. Don't accuse me of behaving like a child when the explanation was quite simple all along and you just tried to shove in my face that it works, going through the trouble of posting another image but "I won't be bothered to explain". :wink: You just couldn't figure out how to do so. Anyway, water under the bridge. I presume that the youtube stuff will be addressed in a future build, which I fortunately don't need anymore.

May 1, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #1,761 of 13,478
Along the same line, for those of us who now have 4.4 balanced cables with our Solaris (and other earphones), anybody want to recommend good 2.5 male to 4.4 female balanced adapters?

It would be nice if there was an adapter that did not include a cable.

May 1, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #1,762 of 13,478
Along the same line, for those of us who now have 4.4 balanced cables with our Solaris (and other earphones), anybody want to recommend good 2.5 male to 4.4 female balanced adapters?

Double Helix and Norne Audio make some of the best quality adapters. They both have their version of "hyper short" or "ultra short" adapters which bend and the solder the connections directly without a cable. They will be pricey but with really transparent SQ. Double Helix has some issues with delivery times, but both shops are run by some of the most knowledgeable cable makers in the business.

May 1, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #1,763 of 13,478
so u think Solaris is better with DX221 mk2?

All just a matter of a personal preference, of course. DX220 (med gain, filter 1), with amp8 bass is a little elevated and lower treble has more sparkle (more accentuation on "s"), with amp1ii I hear a more balanced low end response and a touch smoother lower treble. Btw, with either amps and Solaris, once you pause the track (idling) or drop volume down to zero, I hear a little bit of "waterfall" hissing, but it's mild and less in comparison to dx200. My ears are more sensitive to this stuff, but when music is playing, I hear a perfect black background.

May 1, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #1,765 of 13,478
All just a matter of a personal preference, of course. DX220 (med gain, filter 1), with amp8 bass is a little elevated and lower treble has more sparkle (more accentuation on "s"), with amp1ii I hear a more balanced low end response and a touch smoother lower treble. Btw, with either amps and Solaris, once you pause the track (idling) or drop volume down to zero, I hear a little bit of "waterfall" hissing, but it's mild and less in comparison to dx200. My ears are more sensitive to this stuff, but when music is playing, I hear a perfect black background.
Thanks, your input means to me.
Regarding the Hiss, it's almost similar like N5iis then. As long it does not HISS if you listen in low volume with SOLARIS..... For me already GOOD for my ear.

Will try it myself with DX221 mk2 and DX228...

May 1, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #1,767 of 13,478

For this stuff you do want a pigtail adaptor, otherwise you gonna deal with connectors sticking out too far :wink: I'm using right now this SendyAudio adapter, very high quality and good transparency. But also just received one from Penon, gonna test it out later.

Here is SendyAudio one:

20190501_232539_resized.jpg 20190501_232551_resized.jpg 20190501_232603_resized.jpg

May 1, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #1,768 of 13,478
For this stuff you do want a pigtail adaptor, otherwise you gonna deal with connectors sticking out too far :wink: I'm using right now this SendyAudio adapter, very high quality and good transparency. But also just received one from Penon, gonna test it out later.

Here is SendyAudio one:

I think it is a matter of tradeoffs. Not to get into the whole debate, but in my experience, connectors and cables clearly affect SQ. If you go with a high quality cable free adapter, the connection should be the most transparent. There is no wire as transparent as no wire.

However, Twister is right, without a pigtail (cable) these adapters do stick out too far! The ones I mentioned by DHC and None attempt to put one connector inside the other so no length is added, but it's not possible with a 4.4 into 2.5.

So, the tradeoff for SQ is that you have to be really careful and mind the strain the adapter puts on the internal connector. For some this may be worth it, but it is indeed a risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back