DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 1, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #1,711 of 13,478
Where is the USB-DAC driver?

http://ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20190429/201904290037029373.pdf

These instructions don't apply. USB is grayed out under Connected Devices and my computer (Windows 10) is not recognizing the device but it is charging it. I don't see any driver downloads. Currently downloading an update but there's nothing listed regarding a driver.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,712 of 13,478
Hey @marcusd, when you wrote your review, did you actually test the output for the DAC mode?

What I'm actually seeing here is that the DX200 DAC driver will detect my DX220 only when it's in DAP mode, but when I switch it to DAC mode it actually stops being detected. Obviously, the device can't be used as a DAC in DAP mode.

@Paul - iBasso is the DX200 DAC driver even supposed to work for DX220?

Yes, I did and there is a big section on it on page 4 and how I used it. I have the latest Windows 10 and installed the last USB driver for DX200 etc. Make sure you select ASIO also if the option is offered. Also, try another USB port or uninstall and reinstall again.

May 1, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #1,713 of 13,478
Hey @marcusd, when you wrote your review, did you actually test the output for the DAC mode?

What I'm actually seeing here is that the DX200 DAC driver will detect my DX220 only when it's in DAP mode, but when I switch it to DAC mode it actually stops being detected. Obviously the device can't be used as a DAC in DAP mode.

@Paul - iBasso is the DX200 DAC driver even supposed to work for DX220?

It can only do either DAC or DAP. It can not do both as there is only 1 Digital Signal Processing Chip, the Xmos

May 1, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,714 of 13,478
May 1, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #1,716 of 13,478
How did you get to that? Nevermind.

The download option on the main iBasso website menu at the top where all the firmware are. Go to the 8th square down where it says DAC. Alternatively just click on the link I provided.

May 1, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,717 of 13,478
Did you put one of the screen protectors on? Responsive enough? Screen is indeed nice, by the way. The size of the device is pretty reasonable too. It's not lightning fast but good enough.

May 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #1,718 of 13,478
Did you put one of the screen protectors on? Responsive enough? Screen is indeed nice, by the way. The size of the device is pretty reasonable too. It's not lightning fast but good enough.

put one on mine screen is still very responsive

May 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #1,719 of 13,478
May 1, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #1,722 of 13,478
I tried it and found it very unprofessional. The version I've just installed from Play Market even does not prevent the system from go to sleep during the tests! So, it shows inconsistent results, depending on my "display off timeout" settings, on my activity (e.g. a touch when I see the display goes dim) etc. I've got two results with 2x difference in a row, and I've got its crashes in a very stable conditions (it seems the programmer is not experienced in thread synchronization).

So, I continue using AnTuTu, along with its Stress tests, as I found nothing bad regarding it. It produces very consistent results, and it fails only if I run the hardware really beyond the specification.

OK, back to the devices :)

I've configured my DX220 performance the same way as I've done for DX150 (in 1.17 add-on), and resulted with slightly less marks. Why? Because I use quite aggressive "software cooler" to prevent the SoC from overheating, and DX220 produces more heat than DX150, even having identical basic platform. If I turn the "software cooler" off, the result is much better, but I don't want to release such a firmware. Though, most probably, the add-on for DX220 will run it a bit faster than the stock firmware (still slower than DX150), because so far it has passed my stress tests.

The bottom line is: DX220 is designed to run hot, and, as such, slow (compared even to DX150), for the sake of the sound. So, buy it to enjoy music, and/or buy something else to enjoy benchmarks :)

May 1, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,723 of 13,478
This is a mess. Not only can I not get the USB Dac driver to work youtube videos are not playing on the device. I somehow got one to play, went to change the gain which for whatever reason stopped playback, and nothing is playing again. What a terrible first impression. Already updated the software. Is there something automatic that disables playback on high gain with amp8 and an iem? Very strange. Currently playing on middle gain.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #1,724 of 13,478
I tried it and found it very unprofessional. The version I've just installed from Play Market even does not prevent the system from go to sleep during the tests! So, it shows inconsistent results, depending on my "display off timeout" settings, on my activity (e.g. a touch when I see the display goes dim) etc. I've got two results with 2x difference in a row, and I've got its crashes in a very stable conditions (it seems the programmer is not experienced in thread synchronization).

So, I continue using AnTuTu, along with its Stress tests, as I found nothing bad regarding it. It produces very consistent results, and it fails only if I run the hardware really beyond the specification.

OK, back to the devices :)

I've configured my DX220 performance the same way as I've done for DX150 (in 1.17 add-on), and resulted with slightly less marks. Why? Because I use quite aggressive "software cooler" to prevent the SoC from overheating, and DX220 produces more heat than DX150, even having identical basic platform. If I turn the "software cooler" off, the result is much better, but I don't want to release such a firmware. Though, most probably, the add-on for DX220 will run it a bit faster than the stock firmware (still slower than DX150), because so far it has passed my stress tests.

The bottom line is: DX220 is designed to run hot, and, as such, slow (compared even to DX150), for the sake of the sound. So, buy it to enjoy music, and/or buy something else to enjoy benchmarks :)

Yessssss! lurker is already on it. I really appreciate all your work and dedication to the ibasso DAPs, I know how time consuming it is. I wasnt too fond of the dx150 or dx200 sound until I used Hiby Music Player/MSEB with your USB app. Then it surspassed the R6Pro and many other daps. DX220 lurker edition will be awesome :L3000:

May 1, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,725 of 13,478
This is a mess. Not only can I not get the USB Dac driver to work youtube videos are not playing on the device. I somehow got one to play, went to change the gain which for whatever reason stopped playback, and nothing is playing again. What a terrible first impression. Already updated the software. Is there something automatic that disables playback on high gain with amp8 and an iem? Very strange. Currently playing on middle gain.
Most likely part of the learning curve. I am going through it with a tube amp right now with a number of controls.

How is the music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back